3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kentucky elk advice?  (Read 230 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Kentucky elk advice?
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
Anyone have any advice?  I live in Georgetown so traveling for scouting isn't out of the question, but not exactly easy either.  I've been to Colorado and Montana, even harvested an elk in Colorado so I'm not completley green.  Mostly need help with locations and what area to put in for.  Doesn't look like a lot of public hunting land so any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kentucky elk advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Brad, congrat's on the draw. I know a couple guys that have took cows. I think they both spent some money for access. I can get you information if you want. I like the idea of hunting them without a guide and think it can be done with some research.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something but have been applying for years for a tag without success and the lottery odds of drawing aren't good... From what I gather, it is a true lottery without bonus or preference points, so curious as to what assures you a tag, or have you been one of the lucky ones to have drawn a tag?

The 2013 application deadline was April 30, so I guess I didn't realize KY F&G held the lottery this quickly...

Years ago the drawing was made a big event with hoopla and the public invited, but haven't kept up with it recently. Figured if drawn, they surely notify me...8^)

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Zbone, Most of us residents have been applying without being drawn for years too. Something stinks about the whole process!
 The draw has been done and results are on the  www.fw.ky.gov/   website.
 Just go and submit your SS# and like me, it'll tell you that you didn't get drawn again :-(

Brad congrats!!

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Wow, didn't realize they drew that fast... I just applied last week... Yep Mark, you're right, no draw for me either. All these years of applying, wish they'd adopt a bonus/preference type system...

So I assume Biathlonman has drawn a tag? If so, congrats on your draw...

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
I did.  I've put in every year that they've had it too.  Odds aren't bad for residence.  Last year was a 1-13 chance according to the website for archery cow.  90% of the tags are reserved for in state so that helps us locals out a bunch.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
The was I understand it we now have to put in for one of 5 areas then they draw again in July.  Guess that is when the hard work really starts finding a place to hunt.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Anyone have any advice?  I live in Georgetown so traveling for scouting isn't out of the question, but not exactly easy either.  I've been to Colorado and Montana, even harvested an elk in Colorado so I'm not completley green.  Mostly need help with locations and what area to put in for.  Doesn't look like a lot of public hunting land so any help would be greatly apprecaited.
Call Gabe Jenkens with KDFWR.  He is the elk coordinator for the state.  There is a lot of Coal company owned lands that the F & W help place hunters on.  He can tell you which areas to apply for.  Then once you draw, he can get you the proper waivers and forms to access these lands.  He helped me when I drew in 2010.  Good luck.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
I've got a buddy at work who is good friends with one of the elk biologist.  He just sent over his list of where he is putting in for so I think I'm just going to follow his lead and see what happens.  I'll see where the chips fall in July and then hit it hard with trying to find a spot.

Offline nonamesleft47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat. My 14 year old son and I both got drawn for archery cow tags.  I've put in every year since it started so its about time.  I've got a few areas in mind after talking to a guide. I'll probably hire a guide to help.  There are a couple of outfits that offer semi-guided hunts that aren't bad. Once the ehu's are selected ill probably try to find somebody from close to Lexington to drive down with to make that expense a little more affordable. Good luck to you.  Check back in and let us know what unit you get picked for and I will do the same.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Thousands apply so just like other states where lotteries are used to control numbers, it will take years, unless you are very lucky to get drawn.  

I started applying in 2007 when I retired from KDFWR.  Odds are I will never draw and I'm ok with that. If 50,000 are applying for 1,000 tags you can see the odds are 50 years. Nothing stinks about it -- just math.

There are options for folks who might know landowners who are part of the Public Land Elk Lease program.  Landowners who open at least 5,000 acres for public elk hunting are provided a tag they can use, give, or sell.  Again, this is good for the public hunter who would have far less access otherwise. This is how some well-heeled folks are able to get drawn -- they have more money than time remaining. This is also why some folks think "powerful" people get special access. They get no different access through the lottery than the most common among us.

Anyone who has been draw since the first hunt in 2001 has already beaten the odds.

I won't even apply in a preference point state. At my age, not enough time left in my hourglass to draw.

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
I went ahead and dropped the $$$ on a guide last year when my 14 yo drew an archery cow tag.  It was well worth the $$$ as I have a freezer full of meat and have enjoyed every bite.  I'm a big fan of Hurley Combs at Lost Mountain Outfitters.  The thing you're gonna find when talking to outfitters is most are not bowhunters.  Hurley is and knows the elk in the area.  You may spend a little time on an atv or in the seat of a truck covering some ground as the cows are tough to find after being pushed so much.  We got lucky while stalking a cow and ended up between 10 cows and 5 bulls.  One cow made a mistake and my son put a shaft thru her at 47 yards.  Heart shot.  Great memory!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©