3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: expenive broadheads  (Read 651 times)

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
expenive broadheads
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
I've been looking at some of the new broadheads on the market. I couldn't help but notice that some of them are $20 each or more.

I've always shot 160 snuffers, magnus 1 , or the big zwickey. I've never lost an animal that I thought the broadhead was to blame. I,ve always been happy with those heads, but was curious what others thought. Is there really that much difference?

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: expenive broadheads
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
I don't know about there being that much of a difference.....sharp is sharp and sharp in the right spot is what counts. I've used Magnus and Zwickey 2 blades for 15+ years with very good "luck", but last year I tried some of the Centaur Big Game heads, which are expensive in my opinion. I had very good experiences with them on game as well.......but they were sharp and put in the right place.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Lots of people seem to love those german kenetic silver flames (not the alaskan bowhunters supply version). Suppose to come extremely sharp and last a long time as long as you dont lose your arrow.

To much for my blood though.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Do you know what is wrong with Zwickey broadheads?

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Because you pay more doesn't mean you are getting anything better, just more expensive. The old Bear heads, magnus, and zwickey have always worked for a fair price(depending on where you bought them!)Any broadhead will get the job done provided the edge is hair popping sharp. There are a few folks that would rather pull out their wallet then a whet stone.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
As far as I can tell the expensive ones are pre-sharpened and many arrive ready to hunt. For some that is a good deal-others will not see the benefit.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
There are several things to consider.  First is the why?  That really boils down to a broadhead that is designed better, stronger, and with higher strength steel.  Sure the old Bear heads killed a lot of game but they were also notorious for curling the tip when it hit bone.

Secondly is how is that design manufactured, strickly stamped and spot welded out of mild steel or totally machined out of 440 stainless or high carbon cold steel.  

The third item is the economies of scale.  If one is makeing a broadhead and can turn on the machine and make 100,000 or 500,000 at a time the set up for that machine and all the process in that cell only happen once.  If you are a new guy on the block - even with the best design you can't possibly run that many broadheads at a time or the inventory costs would sink you.

Suppose you do stamp blades out of steel, then full length braze, then heat treat, then weed out the warped ones (always happens with heat treating), then paint or coat, then do an initial grind and then if you are offering presharpened blades a honing operation.  On top of that is some form of quality control, packaging, shipping, etc.

Sure they can get expensive but the guys making premium heads like the Tuffhead, Abower, etc. have a ton of money invested in just equipment on top of carrying inventory.  If they could make 100's of thousands at a time the price would drop quite a bit - but until more hunters buy their products they are stuck with a low volume, and high cost operation.

I retired after 32 years selling custom steel components and after knowing what goes into some of these premium broadheads I wonder how the sell so cheap.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
No. I have used the big zwickeys and magnus 1 for decades. I have been messing around with single bevel grizzlies. I changed last year to try something new. But the old ones work good. The expensive ones may be worth it for all the time involved to make them, but I don't think they are that much better. You still have to make the shot. The blade still has to be sharp. If you lose one of those things it puts a dent in your wallet. So to some they are the only ones to use, but for me I will sharpen my own.Gary

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
 I wonder how the sell so cheap.
I agree. I use to feel the same way with arrows until I made a set then I wondered how anyone could make a living off of it.

:dunno:  

There is nothing wrong with many of the old standbys and a lot right but some would like to have the option to see what works best for them and are willing and able to pay for it.  Others couldn't put an edge on to save their life and for others it's a time factor where they can make more putting in some overtime and buying a sharp out of package item as oppose to doing it themselves.

For many the trad experience  is about doing as much as you can yourself and others are not there yet, their lifestyle may not allow it.

So no they arnt that much better in the physical performance sence but for some, yes in the experience they get from  some of the other options that generally aren't inexpensive in a niche market.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
I use Woodsman and Zwickeys these days. If I ever bought a broadhead that was razor sharp out of the package I would still have to sharpen it before I hunt with it because I shoot every broadhead before I hunt with them.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
there is nothing wrong with either its all in what you can afford,I shoot run of the mill heads.bears,ace,stingers.they work great they may requier a little more maintance.the high dollar heads are better materials but one could say possibally over built for deer an smaller game.however I would choose  to shoot the high dollar head on larger game animals like bear elk an african game.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
The one broadhead I was very glad to pay more for was the Grizzly/Kodiaks by Zipper.  I can get the one's being produced now soo sharp it's just unreal.  That's all due to the grind i'm sure.  Before when I tried to sharpen the old "cheap" grizzlies it was useless.  I worked on one on the KME for my dad for about 2 weeks and got 1 half prettty dang sharp haha.  

The Tuff heads are another I believe is worth the $$.  Unless you loose them they probably arn't going to break to easy.

Luckilly I bought all the Magnus 1s, and STOS before the prices went up too much although I woudln't hesitate to pay for a broadhead I had confidence in.
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Great post guys... pete thanks for your thoughts, that was a great Read! I wondered exactly what you did Todd, so I started watching the classified section for used heads... I've now bought many high dollar Broadheads just to put my hands on them and see what they are like. I even tried to buy a single 300gr Tough Head that someone would put through an Elephant!  I wanted to see and I have to say i'm impressed with what's out there today being made. Options are.fun, no one needs to be right or wrong.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Ive shot both types of broad head from $33.00 a piece Silver Flames  to $4.00 each Ace. Both killed critters straight up, x eyed, stone dead. Ive been just as satisfied with each type of head. I cant explain but I'll shoot each price ranged head again. I just dig equipment and sharp steel in general. I'll go so far as to call myself a steel afficianado, I just like sharp, deadly steel.   :rolleyes:

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I shoot German Kinetics silver flames, they start very sharp and stay very sharp for a long time, but are very pricy.  I buy mostly for the weight, sharpness lasting quality and flight(220 grains).  I have some cheaper heads but find I always go back to these.  They shoot good for me and I feel very confident in them. to me they are worth it others may find they are not.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Yup, get'em sharp and put'em where they need to be and they will all kill well. But some of the pricier ones (VPA 3 is my fave) will last a lifetime if I dont loose it, I dont think you can hurt a VPA head.

Eric

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Whatever head gives you the most confidence at the "moment of truth" is what you should shoot. Whether it's a $4.00 head or a $30.00 head makes little difference.

I shoot Zwickey heads primarily.  Have tried a lot of others but I keep coming back to them.  They are inexpensive and that affords me the luxury of practicing with them a lot and being able to sharpen them over and over again.  If I lose one or bend one up, no huge loss.

The sharp broadhead is the most important piece of equipment we take to the field whether we launch them from $75.00 garage sale bows or $1400.00 Custom Creations.

Practice with them often and keep em sharp, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
Boils down to how much money an individual wants to spend and kudos to a manufacturer for doing the right marketing to get someone to buy their broadheads no matter what the price.

I don't understand the "no need to sharpen" reason for buying super expensive heads.  Sharpening is one of the basic skills a bowhunter needs to know how to do.  What do you do when your knife gets dull? - Throw it away and buy new?
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
There is absolutely a difference between inexpensive heads and the new expensive ones.  The cheaper ones work just fine with perfect shots, especially on smaller critters. If I'm hunting some big tough animals I want to have a head just as tough on the front.  Look at the Magnus 2 blades, snuffers and woodsman. Fine heads, I killed a ton with them. But, they are notorious for bending tips. On a big animal that will reduce penetration. I'd rather pay more for a VPA and have it stay pristine for many kills.  It's cheaper in the long run.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
does anyone use stingers anymore,,, I don't hear them mentioned as much as I used too..

as far as broadhead,,, I say this if you are not capable of getting your broadheads insanely sharp then by all means spend the extra money on broadheads that will be delivered as sharp,,,,, if we are talking two blade heads the only difference can be from single and double bevels,,  3 blade heads = more tissue trama..  

I'd rather put my money into the best strings and best arrows I can afford,,, and then put a sharp head on and if it spins true and gets sharp enough It has to work!  my arrows have every type of head..  

this may sound funny but with me I think I shoot better with regular broadheads because I could care less if I lose or ruin one,, when I had treesharks on I was worried I'd miss or lose one and I really think it messed up my concentration so I took them off and I don't even give the broadhead a second thought now when drawing an arrow back.  
with all that being said though I'd love to see what those wide german kinetics look like on my arrows and I might just get a set,, maybe shoot the zwickey mor stinger 1st though the GK's are like jewelery for starring at when In the stand.
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©