3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: expenive broadheads  (Read 653 times)

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: expenive broadheads
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
I use Zwickeys Black Diamonds on my wooden arrows and the fly like darts. But you need to keep sharp. I use "Steel Force" Hellfire 4 blade 150gr. on my carbons. They are available at 3Rivers. They fly like darts, great penetration, no whistling, decently priced and they come crazy sharp & they hold an edge. Steel Force has also came out with their "Traditional Series" line broad heads that come "glue-on" as well as "screw-on" that come in 135 to 300gr. that Im surely will be taking a closer look at some time soon.

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
I use VPA 3  blades and Magnus 2 or 4 blades.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Marc B.:
I use Woodsman and Zwickeys these days. If I ever bought a broadhead that was razor sharp out of the package I would still have to sharpen it before I hunt with it because I shoot every broadhead before I hunt with them.
This is my feeling too, I've never gone hunting without shooting each head first, and that requires resharpening each one before it goes in the quiver.

I will say I much appreciate the better factory edge of the new Woodsman Elite over the original Wensel Woodsman.  The original was a fine head after I wrestled with them on the big file and got the edges straight.  The Elites just need a little touch up on the stones.

As far as price, with the few shots I launch at game in one year the cost of a broadhead is not very important to me.  Many of the expensive heads are very tough and easily resharpenable.  If not lost they should last for many years.  Compared to what I spend on bows and carbon arrows, $15-$20 per head, or even the cost of Silver Flames seems reasonable although I have never tried the SF heads.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
I would also like to add that SF heads are truly tough!! I have used them for about 3 years now and have nothing bad to say about them. I never had a tip bend up, even after hitting bone. I practice with a set,,,and hunt with another set. What it all boils down to me is shot placement along with sharpness. I find that SF helps me accomplish both. And they come at a reasonable price. A person can also read the reviews at 3rivers,,cabelas ect to help figure out what they're looking for as well.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Some heads are truly manufactured better than others. The Solid S30V broadheads for example use S30V steel. I'm not machinist, but looking online at different sites, the S30V steel is supposed to be higher quality-better edge retention, stronger and takes an edge better. They come from the factory leather stropped and take an edge well for sharpening.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Alltalk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Right on Trap. Expensive is not always better but sometimes is. . Those cheap ziwickys  just  bleed confidence for me. Something about that army green in my peripheral  vision that  just feels good.
Randy
Trosper Trashy Trad Shoot
Ride Loud and Ride Proud

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
I agree, shooting Zwikee for probably 30+ years and never had a problem.  Just have to learn to sharpen them yourself.  Nothing wrong with that - I sharpen my own knives and they are not much more difficult.
For a traditional broadhead such as Zwikee, but seems to fit very nicely with my traditional bow.  I have taken - elk, moose, caribou, grizzley, deer, turkeys, javelina, etc with the Zwikee.  I just have confidence in them - period!

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I just purchased a half dozen Ace Standards...cheap in cost as to most other broadheads, but what a gem.

Upon first glance, you may think the quality is junk because of the appearance of the blade edges...looks like a Cross Cut saw.  Because of this, I  called the maufacturer and voiced my concern...little did I know.

They told me what I was looking at was the burr left behind and all I had to do was touch it up with my favorite sharpening tool.

Few minutes later using my KME and they were shaving.

Good quality at a most reasonable cost.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Pavan -----

Nothing !

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
I`ve shot lots of different broadheads through the years and I honestly don`t see how you could do better than an original Woodsman or zwickey no mercy.They don`t cost a lot either.RC

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
I hunt with moderately priced broad heads (Helix). However, none of them cost more than my shot is worth to me.

I go for pretty much in this order:

--Fixed blade
--Edge (can I keep em sharp)Penetration
--Penetration (I like 2-blades)
--Width (I like 1 1/8)
--Durability (does it hold up through the beast)
--Stability (especially point)
--Weight (Easy to manipulate as I tune)
--Do I know the maker

All else being equal if I'm friends with the maker I'm loyal to him.

I have some Kinetics -- cool head but I haven't hunted with them (the loyalty thing).

Lots of broad heads will get the job done. Frankly, I haven't used one for more than 30 years that wouldn't.  The old green wasps in the 80's sure sucked and while I killed a lot of deer bears, and antelope, the Bear Razorheads fell apart in the animal a lot (the main blade).

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Given the overall expense of a hunt, gas, travel, food, etc. etc.  Just where does the cost of a broadhead fit in?

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
I love tinkering around with stuff,and not opposed to buying or accquiring the expensive heads,but when it comes down to it,Ace all day long for me.You can't beat the price to quality factor.No tears if IT'S lose or break one.There def is a quality difference with anything when you pay more,that's fact for anything from bows to vehicles to tools.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Still cant beat a good ol Magnus Snuffer,A Zwickey Delta or a 1964 Bear razor head.Howard Hill and Fred Bear would be proud of you for sticking with the girl who brung you to the dance.Yea,some of the new ones are pretty hot,but a tank of gas to get you were you need to get,just to hunt after tags,parking fees,etc.and a good lunch sure comes into play these days as well.Although the Simmons,Centaurs,German silver flames Etc are some cutting motorscooters,Ive still seen the big snuffers cut a hole you could stick 3 fingers into.My 2 cents turned into a nickel.Chanumpa out

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
I use Magnus and Zwickie most of the time and find they perform plenty good enough for Georgia whitetails. If I were chasing much bigger or dangerous game, some of the more expensive heads might have features that would make them more worthwhile. Right now, though, I feel my heads are very satisfactory.
Sam

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
I have used bears, zwickys, woodsmans, snuffers,simmons and a lot of ace's with good penetration, flight and short blood trails. I can sharpen bh's easily and as stated, placement of a sharp one is important. I have some of the new woodsmans elites, and they are one tough broadhead, did a great job on the game I have shot with them, but would never spend the money for new ones, got mine off folks from here and other sights in trades, much cheaper than new. I just dont see it being needed for deer, turkeys, and pigs or bears, ,mostly what I will be hunting the rest of my life. A lot of folks in todays society think they can spend their way to the top, whether it be high dollar rifles, scope and archery equipment of all types. Most folks today dont want to pay their dues, learn how to hunt, how to use their equipment or tune it to work best for them, trad folks seem to be the exception to this rule, for the most part. I can see where there are advantages to using the best you  can get, but whether it is needed or wanted is two entirely different things. One guy at our local gun range  last year was PO'd because I helped him mount a scope, and zero his rifle, shot a very tight group. He could not duplicate it, or come close, with his $3000 set up. When he asked why the rifle would not shoot for him, what was wrong with it, I explained that if he shot between 3000-5000 rounds a year doing load development, zeroing rifles, shooting varmints, long range competitions and offhand competition along with hunting, for over 25 years, I am sure the rifle would shoot just as well for him, in other words, what we learn to do as humans, is done so by a process, not an event, it takes time.
samuel koger

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Well said Sam...it was good seeing you at the Tennessee Classic..as far as broadheads go I can't see myself spending the amount of money that the "expensive" heads cost.  Thats just me though.  I'm not saying one is better than the other.  As others on here have said it all comes down to shot placement.  I just make my own single bevels and that solves my paying for the "expensive" heads problem.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
I too have shot a lot of different heads over the years.  Snuffer, Magnus 1 and Stinger 4-blade, Zwickey Delta 4-blade, Zephyr Sasquatch, Centaur Big Game and Battle Axe, Simmons, Pearson Deadhead, Silverflame, and  more that I can't remember off the top of my head...  All will do the job as long as I do mine... and that goes from sharpness to making sure it spins true...  Also putting it where it belongs.  

I've settled into the VPA Penetrators (250 grain 1 1/4", and the Big Jim Big-3)... mostly for durability, but I haven't had a single one not spin true either... easy to sharpen, but mostly for the durability.  As long as I can find it after I shoot it I can get it re-sharpened and ready to hunt... and I've hit some pretty solid stuff with them...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »
I am a GK Silverflame shooter. I have killed lots of animals with other heads as well. A well tuned setup and a scary sharp head put in the right spot is what matters. I shoot the GK's because I have great confidence in them and I can afford to dump the $$$ on them. I can say that I have seen several other heads break on hard or odd hits and I have had a few of those hits with the GK's and not had any issue like that.

I started shooting the GK's in 2008. When I tell people I shoot those heads, a lot of them ask me if they are worth the money. I tell them that to me they are but to them they may not be.

I have also never seen any broadhead as sharp as the GK's out of the package and as long as my arrow has no flaws they always spin true.

Bisch

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:00 AM »
sharp is sharp ...
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©