3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: expenive broadheads  (Read 652 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: expenive broadheads
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
I think I am kinda on the fence here. I have killed deer with just about every common traditional type head. The big wide Magnus 135 was my standard for years. But when I started shooting lighter bows, I had a few instances where the penetration was less than perfect. I also liked the big 200 grain ACE head, but in bows below 55#, penetration wasn't always there.

So recently.....my bows are back up to 60#, and I am experimenting with the Ashby theory type heads....and the not-cheap Tuffhead from Vintage Archery is my favorite so far. Quality of manufacture is so far beyond anything else available, I figure "why not?". They aren't stumping heads, but for shots on big game, why compromise?

Just my opinion....piles of big game killed with MUCH less expensive heads sorta proves me wrong...   :bigsmyl:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
There is room for both the older style steel broadheads - Zwicky,Magnus, stos etc and for the new high price heads as well.

The traditional carbon steel heads need more maintainence to keep sharp and most are not designed or heavy enough weight for Big Big game.

I use the high quality stainless heads for my big game hunts due to the fact I can get the weight I need along with strength. These are the Silver flames (German version)the 300Xtreme and the Tuff heads.

What really ticks me off is the copying of good quality heads the last couple of years. To take a high end exspensive head and copoy it but make it much cheaper is just pathetic in my mind. Most of these copy cats and cheap versions don't hold up worth a $hit if you really test them. The German Silver Flame is lite years ahead of the north american version in quality and even cheaper if you can believe that.

Buyer BEWARE of the high price heads out there! Do your research prior to spending $$$$ for crap. That said there are a few well worth the big $$$
hunt it

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
Double post sorry.
hunt it

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
I recently joked with the folks at Ace Archery Tackle that I was going to be their "pro staff". This would earn me the right to buy their products at list price and say hi to them at the many events where they set up a booth. They told me they needed a hero shot with an antelope and I am on a mission.

Here is what I like about Ace:

I can sharpen them easily (easiest head to sharpen since the Bear greenie).

Come in 100 to 200 grain with matching practice and hex blunt weights.

I like the friendly, quiet, humble folks who make and make/market them.

Lifetime guarantee - no questions.

Oldest name in broadheads - wonder why...

Their only drawback is that 6 cost less than 1 expensive broadhead. Then again, do you really want to shoot a $100 arrow into a pig in a swamp or a rabbit in a thicket?

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
I've tried lots of broadheads but i keep coming back to the Muzzy SS Phantoms. With the KME I can get them hair popping sharp and they hold a razors edge for a long time and don't rust or oxidize quickly. Just a great broadhead.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
A couple of years ago I purchased Abowyer Brown Bear broadheads and I must say the quality is outstanding - razor sharpe from the start and built like a tank.  When I need to purchase more broadheads I plan to return to Abowyer.
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
I'll make it really simple ... I've just got too many hobbies (one of them being saving money like Scrooge) to be spending big money on anything.

If I can get it for .02c less, I'm gonna do it.

Besides, if I lose a $100 arrow everytime I shoot a deer or a turkey, I'd be better off just going to the animal auction and buying a lamb or something ...

I don't just hunt for enjoyment, I do it for meat that I don't have to pay for ... keeping costs down is critical.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
I have used about every common head out there in my 40 years of bow hunting. My problem with the cheaper carbon heads was that I couldn't keep them sharp.
I would set around during the week and sharpen them, put chap stick or what ever on them to help protect the edge then saturday when I pulled one out to hunt it was not as sharp as it had been. I tried about every thing. With a GK or Tuff head I get them sharp and they stay sharp

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
I think it's all about how you want to get there and what floats your boat.  

A person could get an inexpensive recurve bow from the 70's (a Darton, Wing, Browning ect.), put together some inexpensive, but accurate aluminum arrows with basic broadhead (Magnus or Zwickey with adapter) and you will have everything you need to accurately kill a deer for under $200.  

Bow $75
Arrows $50
Armguard/glove $30
Broadheads/adapters $40

That being said, here is a dozen arrows I just put together for myself:
Vintage Acme premium shafts from Ron LaClair $40
Tapering, staining, crown crest from Wilderness arrows $70
3 dozen chopped natural/dyed barred feathers from Turkey Flight Traditional  $35
Total= 145/12= $12 per shaft plus $13 each for 3 blade Trailmaker Broadhead from Kustom King and now I've got a $25 single arrow.   :eek:  

That being said, it boils down to what makes you happy and what you enjoy and then what you want to spend.  I would love to have an early 1970's wood handled A riser Bear takedown to hunt with and I suppose if I didn't do all the other purchases I've done in the last year for wool clothes, arrows, double bull blinds, treestands, other bows, Swarovski bino's, ect. and saved the $2,000-3,000 it takes now to get one I could have that bow. But I've enjoyed getting all the other things I've purchased.  So, yes, less expensive stuff will get the job done-and do it effectively. Yet there there's a personal decision available to those who want to go beyond the basic need.  That's the great thing about our sport.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Well said Trap.
Zwickeys for me and I save my blue ones to hunt with.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
"They all work and none of them can kill anything." - Owen Jeffery
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Blaino, Owen might be the most practical bowman I've ever been around.  I still shoot his bows off and on and enjoy the blue collar attitude that both he and they exude.  I can't see anything wrong with investing in a little extra quality/insurance on the business end of arrows as that's the part that actually does the deed when it's all said and done.  If a man is shooting a bow that looks like a fine piece of furniture...costs him a couple grand and he waited many months for it to arrive...only to send a dull flimsy broadhead towards his quarry....well????

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
I shoot what I would kinda call the moderately high priced VPA 3 blades at around $12 a broadhead they aren't near as expensive as some of the other heads like ABS heads or Eclipse Werewolves but are a bit more than Ace or Zwickey. All I know is they are the best all around broadhead I have found for me as of yet.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©