3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hawk tried to steal my decoy  (Read 316 times)

Offline straigharrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Hawk tried to steal my decoy
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
About 10:00am this morning I was sitting in my double bull watching my turkey decoys. A big hawk flew over and went over me to the rear. A few minutes he flew in and landed on top of one of the decoys and tried to lift off with it. I could hear his claws scratching rubber. When he couldn't lift it he landed two feet from it and stood there looking at it for several minutes. Then he flapped his wings and landed five feet on the other side of it and watched it for several more minutes. Then the flew to it and tried lift off with it again. When that didn't work he few up in a tree about fifteen feet away and watched for another five minutes before leaving.

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hawk tried to steal my decoy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
That's funny. I was just sitting in my natural blind this morning, watching my decoys, thinking that it would be funny if a hawk swooped down and tried to take off with one of the girls.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
That is neat to watch. You just witnessed one of natures greatest hunters demonstrate to you the tenacity of their style.  Very cool.

Although I was sitting in a tree one day with a face mask on and had a sharp shined hawk confuse the whites of my eyes and nose of the belly of a squirrel and if it was not for my swatting at it with my hand it would have tried to give me a facelift.  I was shaken up pretty bad at first but after he landed 5 feet from me on a tree limb staring me down it was pretty cool.  I am always impressed with the raptors.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Must b e the day for it!! I had a Hawk ( Swainson's or Sharp Shinned I assume) dive bomb and pass my Avian hen twice this morning! That was awesome!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Being a falconer and knowing how raptors think, it is always a treat when one can witness them in their wild state of mind. It sounds like the hawk was trying to get the decoy move or even blink to determine if it was real or not. it's not surprising why falconry is one of the old way of hunting.

Dave
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
That's really interesting!  I feel invisible when they land close and don't notice me.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Cool, one of the great benefits of spending time out hunting.  All the great experiences and memories that come along with the hunt.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Great story! Thanks for sharing.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I've had that happen while predator calling & with owls too. Funniest was a red fox charged my decoy but realized it wasn't flying away- got to about a foot away then slammed on the breaks & did a 180 in mid air.  I had to laugh
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline Yippeekiay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Wasn't hunting but I watched a Peregrine go after a Cormorant yesterday. That cormorant hit the drink faster than he knew he could..

Good stuff

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Awesome! I'm also a falconer. I love to see the raptors hunt. Turkeys aren't common prey for experienced hawks. I think they learn that they take a beating from a bird that outweighs them 5:1. I actually just put together a 40+ minute video of the highlights from this season with my red tail.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
COOL   :cool:

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I have seen them get squirrels, but never a turkey; I bet that was something to see.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
Very cool, had a turkey vulture come in on my set up last year, blind and decoys, landed right on the blind,  got a slightly bad photo by sticking my phone out the window, bird stayed about 10 minutes that off to a near by tree, finally took off at some point...hawks and bald eagles about where I hunt turkey

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Likin' the hawk stories.  Keep 'em coming.  Had a friend get attacked by an owl.  He thinks it must have seen his fur string silencers.   :)
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Manbearpig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
That's what I love most about being outside.  Getting to see nature in all its glory.  What a great experience, very cool!
Half Man, Half Bear, Half Pig

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Other than daily interactions with my own hawk, I can only remember one close call in the wild. I was sitting in a climbing treestand with my compound bow when I was maybe 12 years old. Everything was quiet and calm when suddenly I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. It startled me and I turned my head in time for the red tailed hawk that thought my head was a squirrel to realize his mistake and veer off. Just about had a heart attack, but it was cool to see.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm surprised no one has asked yet: what decoy are you using?  It's obviously very lifelike.   :)

Neat story, thanks for sharing.

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline straigharrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Can't think of the brand but they were just the rubber collapsable kind you can buy at Wal-Mart. I didn't mention it in the first post but I was also using a decoy stake that lets you spin the decoy(not the one he landed on) and gave it a couple spins while the hawk was four feet away. He never acted startled or surprised and never approached the moving decoy.

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I was using 3 montana 2d decoys when the vulture came in two hens one full display tom.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©