3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Far To Your "Hunting Grounds"?  (Read 743 times)

Offline WhiteBeard121

• Trad Bowhunter
How Far To Your "Hunting Grounds"?
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Noticed that many are willing to travel (very) far for a special hunt, but was curious how far you have to go for a normal day's outing?

I'm blessed, I can walk out my back door, clear the deck and start climbing the Blue Ridge Mtns. Walk out my front door and I have to cross an access road at the end of my driveway, cross the small river and start walking up the mountain (75 yards from front door). I can walk for a full day and not cover the property's perimeter.

When the late spring/early summer nuisance bears are around we have to look before we exit the house. Those young 'uns are too dumb to stay out of your way sometimes.
Would love to hear about your special haunt.

WhiteBeard 121

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Far To Your "Hunting Grounds"?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
If I just want to hunt, I can be on public ground with a about a 5 minute drive from my house.  However, I mostly hunt some other public ground that has more critters that is about an hour and a half away.  When I'm hunting over there, I stay at my parents and it's about a 20 minute drive from their house.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
Up until August of last year, I could walk out my back door and be on our 91 acres of family land in a pretty decent area for deer.
We moved in August, so now I am an hour away from the family place....an hour away from several thousand acres of national forest....hour and 45 minutes away from the 1500 acre lease I'm on with 4 other guys.  The lease isn't great for deer, but is loaded with turkeys and has a substantial bear population.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Out my back door for the 1300 acre sodom state forest but I usually go to 200 acres private land 4 miles up the rd.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Anywhere from a walk across the dirt road from the house, to 110 miles.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I start hunting in the back yard and can keep on for about 70 something miles.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I have to drive about 45 minutes to my spot.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Out the back door ,1 mile , 8 miles, or 800 miles!

My house sits on 68 acres that I am workin on getting deer to stay on, the lease is a mile, my bro's farm is 8 miles, and we sometimes got to CO or NE to hunt for a week or so....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
15 minutes to 2 hours. Depends on where I'm hunting and how much time I have!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
About 45 min. for public land. I don't know anyone with private land so, make due with what I can.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
About 800 acres out my back door, 75 acres of which is mine. 2400 acres across the road. I sometimes hunt with a friend of mine on an 11,000 acre DEC land that is 45 min. away.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
38 miles if I head South, and 26 miles if I head West.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
I can be in the national forest in 10 minutes after work. Our family land where I do most of my hunting is 29 miles away. I'll eventually live on it and be able hunt right out the back door.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
3 min to one spot 3hrs to the next.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
There's a friend of mine that's letting me hunt on his place. They have about 600 acres and it's about 65 miles for me.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
We draw for tags here.  My elk place is 8 hours, deer 7.5 hours.  There are 7 archery tags available near Reno, our best chances are far from civilization.
Back east, I drove 15 min to an hour.  But we have elk, antelope and mulies
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Ijust start out my back door,get in my car and drive to the freeway where I sit with thousands of others trying to get someplace but nothing is moving.Finally hours later I reach the national forest which is nothing more than burn't brush and rattlesnakes. The rugged hillsides are so crowded with hunters and others, mostly anti-hunters, that I can't find a parking space. someone saw some deer there once, before they stopped shooting the mountain lions.This has got to be the hardest hunting in the nation!
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline WhiteBeard121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by bro-n-arrow:
Ijust start out my back door,get in my car and drive to the freeway where I sit with thousands of others trying to get someplace but nothing is moving.Finally hours later I reach the national forest which is nothing more than burn't brush and rattlesnakes. The rugged hillsides are so crowded with hunters and others, mostly anti-hunters, that I can't find a parking space. someone saw some deer there once, before they stopped shooting the mountain lions.This has got to be the hardest hunting in the nation!
Man, I just spit coffee all over my keyboard! That was funny stuff.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
its anywhere from 45 min to 2 1/2 hrs for me. I am looking for some closer places to hunt.  I did find a sweet honey hole right in the middle of the city (East St. Louis) but its a little hairy to hunt there and the drug dealers and prostitutes also use that road and IL is not a concealed carry state.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
Out the back door about 50yds. got a blind for my son. Another 50 and that's his squirrel grounds, a lot of deer also. Nice public land bow only tract about 15 min. ride, then another about 10 min. from there, (deer during January)a couple more management areas within an hours drive from here also, plenty of public land around for now anyway.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©