3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 under when tillered for split?  (Read 206 times)

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
3 under when tillered for split?
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
I have a used, but new to me, PSAIII Black Widow tillered for split finger.  I shoot 3 under.  When I move the knock to adjust to shooting my style, I cannot tell that there is any problem with arrow flight.  I have not paper tuned the bow.  I will later.  Just wondering if anyone has found the same thing. It seems that Black Widow specifies the importance of tillering, while other bows do not and one simply adjusts the knock to accommodate the shooting style.

Thanks.  

Scott

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 under when tillered for split?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
My Bowyer, Scott at Timberhawk Bows, said it is so my-nute ( minute) of a thing that you won't know the difference. He said talk blows that out of proportion. He said how much pressure U put on each finger, and if you relax one of them, then do it different the next time, makes wayyy more of a change than the tillering of split vs 3 under.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Yep.  What Lamp's bowyer said. Lots of threads on this topic.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Lamplilghter and Orion, thanks for the responses.  Now that I have had a chance to experiment with my BW, regardless of how I move my knocking point, I cannot get the bow as quiet with 3 under as I do with split finger. Perhaps it is just peculiar to BW bows.  I have not had the same issue with others I have or do own.  It may also have to do with my BW being a 60" bow that is maxed out with my 29.5" draw.  I wonder if it is reasonable to expect that longer bows are more forgiving on this issue.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
All of my recurves are tillered for split finger but work fine for three under.  Bare shaft tune just like for any other bow and for me the only thing that's different is I always end up with a higher nock point and often a little heavier head when shooting three under.

That said I do shoot split but have experimented a lot with three under.  Bottom line, don't worry about it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
I never had a problem.....I just raise the nocking point a bit and go from there.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
3 under,29.5 draw,and a 60'' PSA widow.Ouch,if you go to a 62'' bow in a PSA,I would bet you would be ALOT happier!
I perfer bareshaft tunning over any other type of tunning but that's just me.
Yes,3 under will always be louder.If you can shoot w/ the string more to the tips of your fingers.The noise will get better.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I don't agree with the finger tip idea, a deep hook is always better, but the less weight you carry on the ring finger, the quieter it will be.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
All of my bows are tillered for split and I shoot three under. As others have said you will likely need to raise the nock point a bit, most of my bows are around 5/8" nock high. If tillered FOR three under then no need to raise the nock.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Every bow I have is tillered for split but I shoot 3 under.  I use a black widow leather 3 under tab (lefty) and a 5/8 nock point on most of em.  Heavy arrow equals quiet bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
I think it's more important how one holds the grip of the bow, whether one heels it hard or if it only touches in the throat or somewhere in the middle. I make all mine even tiller now, bc I just dont think it really matters, move nock point up or down, or grip pressure up or down, whatever floats ur boat.

Dave

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Mahantango,
String towards the fingertips isn't an IDEA.It's a fact.Shot Widows for years 3 under.W/ the string foward towards the fingertips.The string angle isn't as harsh as w/ 3 under w/ a deep hook.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©