3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do the expensive turkey decoys work better???  (Read 351 times)

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Do the expensive turkey decoys work better???
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
I am not an expert turkey hunter but I do like to hunt them.  I've had a few breif encounters this season that got me to question my decoys.  I use the cheap fold down foam hens...  This year I have had jakes, a Tom and a few different hens come in and none of them payed any attention to my decoys.  Thinking back over the years I can't say I've ever experienced a bird come in and pay attention to my decoys let alone beat one up or try to mount it like you see in the videos.  So, the question : Do the "life like" decoys work better?  Are they worth the money?  I'd like to hear some of your experiences.

Joe   :campfire:

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do the expensive turkey decoys work better???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Joe,
I broke down and bought some DSD Dave Smith Decoys this year. I used alot of my cabelas points to make this purchase. I will say the 3rd trip out I had 2 toms come in and beat the crap out of my Jake decoy. It was a first for me. I dunno if it was because of the decoys but it was an awesome experience. I sure do like these decoys better than any I have ever had. So I guess to answer your question my opinion would be yes.
David
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
I had good results with the Avian X decoys this season.  We killed three birds over them in four hunts.  All hunts were on hard hunted public land and two of the three gobblers were coming straight for the jake decoy.  I can't say for sure if the decoys made the difference or if we just had good luck.  I do know I'll be using them again next year.

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
I have, and have used a bunch of different decoys over the years.

I have had much more consistent results with Dave Smith decoys than any others I have.

The down side is…….it is not nearly as funny watching a gobbler pound on an expensive decoy.
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
First year with the Dakota X-treme Jake from Bestturkeydecoy.com and I had two big toms come in like they were being led... pecked the jake then got nervous and, here is the bummer, I missed a shot at very close range - LOL. Tough ending but the decs sure were impressive.

Every other year with less realistic decoys I have had turkeys hang up... I was shot gun hunting so I never worried too much about a 30 yard shot... but with the bow and 5-10 yard optimal shots I believe the realistic decs are your best friend.

JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
On the right day and in front of the right turkey, anything will work.  Day in and day out, I really believe the higher end decoys do a better job, especially on pressured birds.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I've wondered about that myself. I use the old feather flex (foldable) hens and a primos jake decoy. I have never had turkeys to seem to pay any attention to them.

I called 2 mature toms in this year to 20 or 30 yards (too far for a good shot) and it seemed that as soon as they could see the decoys, they slipped back over the edge of the flat and circled my blind. They seemed to be nervous about either the decoys, or the blind.

This was with the mesh netting up on the only window I had open.

Yesterday I called a group of gobblers from way across a hollow (away from a shotgunner) but they stayed out of range the whole time.

I've killed so many turkeys with the shotgun that I lost count years ago. It's not like I don't know how to call... but something (blind or decoys) is hanging them up.

FRUSTRATING!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Big Lefty:
On the right day and in front of the right turkey, anything will work.  Day in and day out, I really believe the higher end decoys do a better job, especially on pressured birds.
My thoughts exactly.  If you catch a dominant gobbler in the right mood, you could probably put a turkey fan on a cardboard box and he'd walk or run 300 yards to destroy the box. Another day he might stand and look at it and walk off. Turkeys are moody.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
To answer the question NO!!!
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
I have found that Turkey will hang around a more realistic decoy for longer periods of time before realizing something is not right.  The downside to my avian x decoys, is that they are about 10 times heavier than my feather flex decoys!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
The deke which one has confidence in will likely serve him well.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
I would say without a doubt a better decoy will help.  Especially for a bowhunter.  I have only ever bowhunted turkeys and have had many spook at my decoys until i bought an avian x jake and hen.  It is not coincidence.  But like others have said if you have a fired up bird any decoy will work but I truly think they hang out longer with better decoys
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
The deke which one has confidence in will likely serve him well.
Ditto. Not a turkey hunter but some of the things I used to bring in yotes would make you think no #$% way. I think its all in arrangement. Have a brother that duck hunts ,some of his decoys no longer have paint on them . He says its all in how the are arranged out there. You got to beleave in what your using . Know its going to happen not think it might happen.  :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I have been using the Feather Flex Decoys for 25 years and killed plenty of birds over them.  My buddy has a hodge podge of different chepos and I can't remember a year he has not bagged a bird.  I guess it all depends on what you want to spend but i do not think you have to have the top of the line decoys to have success.
T ZZZZ

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
One awesome fight at 5 yards and youl forget all about the money.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
The cheap work to a point but I have never had a Tom try to mount them like they do the others. And if I try to adjust my foam ones they fall off the peg let alone if a Tom was to touch it. That rarely happens though as they rarely get that close to a foam decoy. Each to his own though.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
Only once have I seen 3 jakes go up to my hen decoy and look peck to peck with it...otherwise the birds I've hunted seem to come in a little bit and 30 yards out or more they move on,,,this is with feather flex and montana decoys...bow hunting with a blind...I'm either gonna have to spend some money or just quit using the decoys...

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
One awesome fight at 5 yards and youl forget all about the money.
That's a fact, and still just a fraction of the total cost of bows, blinds, arrows, broadheads, calls, gas, etc.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I have killed tons of birds with a shotgun and have also killed quite a few with a bow. I honestly believe as has been said the new better more realistic decoys will bring the birds in closer and hold the birds longer. On certain days I believe any old decoy will work on a bird that is just plain hot, but the next day when that same bird is a bit fickle, the better more realistic decoy with the right posture may be needed to get him close enough for a shot. I just bought a Dakota Extreme Jake and it definitely has the right posture and the realism is excellent, the DSD may even be better but I could not justify the extra 85 bucks when the Dakota looks so good. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Lynch Mob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Guys
In the earlier years with a shotgun i never used decoys, I was a run and gun guy...locate the bird move in as close as I can one hit on the gobbler tube, then start with the hen.
This all changed when we starting filming, too much with a camera guy. So blinds, decoys were used, and I've tried about everything I thought  that would fool a bird. We came on board with Avian X and have been using their decoys since they first came out. Let me tell you a quality decoy makes a difference almost all the time...and the last couple years we've just been using  the jake with a 100% results. Even though we dont use a hen decoy I still cut with the hen calls. I'm trying to make the gobbler believe a hen is there but the jake is cutting her off.
I hope this helps, and one more thing...when using a quality decoy always think safety with other hunters.
Call Your Own Game
george
Hang'em Low
Lynch Mob

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©