3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you had success from a hunting seat/stool? (Update PG 2)  (Read 742 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Ok, I've done a search and found all kinds of recommendations for hunting seats/stools but, what I want to know is, how many have actually had success harvesting while using one not inside of a blind? Natural cover blind is ok.     :D  

Also, how many have gotten it done using a 68" longbow?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you had success from a hunting seat/stool? (Update PG 2)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Had a yote less than 3' from me in Texas, it looked passed me 3 times and he never busted me, gave me a broadside shot @ about 18 yds. I blew it. It was worth every minute !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
How about a 64" longbow at 11 yds?

Stool is under her head...

Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Had a yote less than 3' from me in Texas, it looked passed me 3 times and he never busted me, gave me a broadside shot @ about 18 yds. I blew it. It was worth every minute !
That still counts as a success to me!

Kenny: Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I've got a couple of areas to possibly hunt and one of them has a pretty good trail from feeding to bedding. I was thinking of putting a stool above the trail with the wind in my face and see if I can connect. Lots of trees around so, cover should pretty good. I'm just concerned about the 68" longbow I'll be using.   :rolleyes:

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I've also done it several times but with a 60 inch recurve.  I've used a Hammock seat, a Nif-t-y seat and a 5 gallon bucket.  The Hammock seat is more comfortable, the Nif-t-y seat is more versatile and a 5 gallon bucket is for my "permanent" sets.  I've also missed lots of deer from the ground.  I tend to rush some shots because you ain't got much of a "window of opportunity" to execute the shot without being seen.  Practice shooting from the "set arm position" so as to reduce as much movement as possible.  My second largest deer I have ever taken with a bow (9 pointer) was at 12 steps two years ago from natural cover.  It ain't nothing like getting eye-level at close range to get the old juices flowing!   :eek:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:46:00 AM »
For years now that's all I've hunted from. I have taken a number of deer and turkey from natural blinds using this method. (nut)   :bigsmyl:
Rich Potter

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 05:10:00 AM »
Taken a 6 point and a 7 point from a huntmore 360 seat ...The 6 point was 5 yards away and the 7 was 12 yards away...I also got a 1/2 rack carrying only 3 points at 12 yards but that was using no seat just kneeling on the ground...All those were killed useing what was natural in the area...Mostly downed trees and using any down timber,branch's etc...

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
I have used them a lot over the years for deer and elk ambush spots. If I'm not still hunting I will more likely be on a stool. Most of my deer and elk have come off a stool.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
I haven't scored with it yet but picked up a Huntmore 360 last fall and will say it is the most comfortable I have ever been in a natural ground blind.  It works great for shooting in the yard so I don't see why it won't be great when actually hunting.

As someone with a bad back, the 360 chair let me hunt a lot longer than all of the buckets and stools I've had before.

Online AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
While stationed on Guam last year I had the opportunity to take 7 pigs and four of them were from a small folding stool/chair while sitting under a Mango tree in the dense jungle.
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I bought a cheap 3 legged folding stool with the cloth seat and a high back at dicks for like $20 ... I do use it inside a blind, but I see no reason it wouldn't work without a blind ... I can't see spending a ton of money on hunting stuff ....

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
I was using a Torges style seat when I shot the buck in my avatar. Actually, I did stand for the shot. He was coming in on the opposite side I was predicting that he would. Turkeys had spotted me but it took them a while to get edgy enough to bug out. A doe had spotted me but she came in from the direction the turkeys had left and was looking for trouble. It was a last light when I shot him, quite a while after the doe took off. He was very relaxed and never saw it coming.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline tomcfc11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
So is there a favorite type stool/seat or just something one could find around town or at a garage sale? I need a better seat than a camp chair.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Yup... killed a whitetail last season at 12 yards off a little folding seat.  Have had deer within two yards at times.  Getting drawn on them is the challenge! :-)
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
NOPE...  :thumbsup:

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
i plan to try hunting from the ground a lot this year. my back is telling me it's time to get out of the trees more.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am seriously contemplating giving this a try. I had to sell my tree stand last year so, looking for an alternative.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
20 years ago I broke my back. After surgery and rehab I was able to walk again but not good enough to use a tree stand.. I made a hunting seat out of a wood bar stool, I cut the legs to a seat height of 21 inchs, I added back straps to carry it to woods.. I took lots of deer and hogs sitting on that stool. I would use a pair of shears to make a natural ground blind..it worked for me but you have to be Choosey and hunt the thick stuff..

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
A couple of fat trees to block your outline is all that is needed for deer. Sit in front of the trees. Don't look at the critters eyeballs. Then when it is time to shoot, don't dilly dally, take a smooth rather quick shot.  That is why I advocate a Hill style shooting form.  Smooth and fluid form will work better than a tall static slower shooting tempo.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
With a ghillie suit, some hunting savy and patience all things are possible.  From ten feet even.

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©