3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you had success from a hunting seat/stool? (Update PG 2)  (Read 739 times)

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you had success from a hunting seat/stool? (Update PG 2)
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Last 2 deer have been from the ground with natural cover. One at 15 yards and the other at 6 yards.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
From the 2012 season, both taken with a 70" Northern Mist Classic longbow -

Fat litte 8 point, taken at 8 yards, using a ground hunters seat from Big Jims.

Also from 2012 first opportunity I had on this buck was at about 10 yards but he turned before I could loose an arrow, second opportunity was at 23 yards. Also using the Big Jim's seat!

This year I will be using a Hammock Seat and a Huntmore

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I am glad to see that it can be done, especially with a longer bow. I went out on a limb and bought the Barronett TreeLax Strap - on Tree Seat for $24.98 shipped from Sportsmans Guide. Excited to give it a try!

Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Obviously, I will need to take it to the woods, strap it on, plant my seat and practice shooting from it. That escapade will follow as soon as my bow arrives.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »

I really enjoy hunting this way.  The stool is typically very low for me- even digging holes for the legs.  I want to be able to slip to my left knee and shoot off of it(right hand shooter).  I also like deer to come from behind or off my left shoulder.  I like just little holes so I can glimpse the deer coming and slowly get positioned as he walks into a small shooting lane.  

This buck was shot at 6-7 yards in marsh grass- or a slough as they call them up in ND.  He came in at 11 o'clock position rubbing a tree straight in front of me.  I always carry pruners and had made a small ground blind with cover in front of me too.  As he was distracted I hunkered down behind the blind "wall."  Imagine me with both knees on the ground and bent right down with my bow in front me in a vertical position.  As soon as he stepped away from the tree and turned his head to watch a doe behind him- I rose up and drew in one motion.  Zip!  

I really think ASAT and Predator Brown are killing equipment.  I rarely have deer even look at me twice.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Dan that's an impressive buck! So, having the deer come from behind would be better than having them come in from the front?

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
I like to sit with my back to a tree looking over my left shoulder.  I wait for the deer to come from my rear left or left and walk by me. In the case of this photo the deer came almost in front of me.  I usually do not like that. . . my saving moment was that the deer was so fixated on making a rub.  If he would have had his head up looking, he would have looked right into my eyes. . . at 6 yds.  Yikes.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
We have been out of the tree seat for some time, but I have spoke with the builder and he assured me that we will have some soon.

I used mine extensively in Kansas this past week as we did the run and gun...run and bow rather.

It was sweet! I don't do so well sitting straight on the ground as my legs tend to go to sleep. This allowed me to be off the ground and able to rotate as necessary. Combined with the Bush-N-A-Bag, this seat allowed me several opportunities on Birds.
I have tried a bunch of seats and this one is a winner. Priced right too.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Forgot to say, my shot was at 7 yds.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
I can't count the number of pigs I've shot sitting on a chair in the brush. You just have to have good camo, good back cover, and be real patient.

Bisch

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Bisch: I'm assuming that a good tree bark camo would be the way to go? Or more of a green to blend in with the surrounding brush?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
I have taken a few critters from one of those tripod stools, but I bought a chair with a back for next season. My old bones get stiff without a backrest, so the chair will be a plus. I got the Double Bull; portable and much more comfortable than a backless stool.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wannabe1:
Bisch: I'm assuming that a good tree bark camo would be the way to go? Or more of a green to blend in with the surrounding brush?
Personally I would say not to worry too much about a specific pattern, so long as it breaks up your outline. To be honest you don't really need "camo", plaid works well as does anything with a varying pattern or shades of color. You could also make your own ghillie suit which is the ultimate garment for a ground hunter IMHO.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Steve, once again I thank you for the knowledge. I was thinking of looking into the ghillie suit. Most likely would only use the upper part to help break up my form. Where does one get the netting to make something like that?

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wannabe1:
Steve, once again I thank you for the knowledge. I was thinking of looking into the ghillie suit. Most likely would only use the upper part to help break up my form. Where does one get the netting to make something like that?
I am currently making my own using an old leafy suit I picked up several years ago on closeout. There are several decent articles online about making your own. Do a google search for "make your own ghillie suit" and you should find several good articles and even a video.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
A cheap quick hot weather ghillie for sitting would be about a 3'x3' piece of fish net with strips of cotton  old camo shirts tied in. Not thick but have them long with the knots on top to make it look un even. cut a hole in the middle and to arm slits in it once you figure out where they need to be for a shot. I believe deer pick out you head. Never asked one but when I don`t have something under my hat to shoulder I seem to get busted more.RC

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Thanks RC. I'm looking into that right now as my early season is quite warm.   :thumbsup:

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Yep Jason and I have taken a bunch of pigs with our stools, ghillies and curves.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
All of the deer I have harvested in the past 15 years have been from a set up similar to this, with a 70" longbow.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I have been hunting from the ground the majority of the time the past two years.  Success or not, there is just something about hunting from the ground that I truly enjoy. This fall I plan on doing a little more work on establishing some natural ground blind setups as well as wearing my ghille suit.
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©