3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you had success from a hunting seat/stool? (Update PG 2)  (Read 740 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you had success from a hunting seat/stool? (Update PG 2)
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
I agree with RC.  I suggest you also make yourself a ghillie-like hat.  Look at Terry's and see, but I would alter that a bit too, so the sides hang down a bit covering the side of your head and blending into your shoulders.  I would wear that even with just plaids or camo (not ghillie).  

Those of us living on the water have seen long billed fishing hats with a piece that hangs over and protects the neck.  One like that, without a big bill, would be a good start.

ChuckC

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Hunting from a stool. Actually a very small folding chair from Walmart.  

Torges tree seat. Very portable and quick/quiet set up.  

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Listen to Charlie!  The ground and a seat is where its at.  Camo matters some, but it is movement that busts you.  Of course where I hunt, if you want to climb a tree, it will be a telephone pole - LOL.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
I have shot quite a few whitetails from a stool in natural ground blinds most of them at under 15 yards. I actually shot two does from the same stool/blind in one morning about two years ago. In 2011 I hunted bears using a stool and natural ground blinds. I had 3 different bears inside 5 yards from me including the bear that I shot which is pictured below. Not only is hunting form stools on the ground effective but it is an absolute adrenaline rush blast!!!

Evidently there have been some recent changes to photobucket so I am not sure how to post the pic. The following is a link to a post I did about my hunt which has pictures of the bear and the natural ground blind that I shot it from.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=105045;p=1
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Thank you all for the tips, comments and inspirations! I am now in the active planning of something along the lines of a ghillie garment. My wife will be helping out with it so, keep an eye out in the future for that development.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Ive been Blessed to have been successful from the ground, so ill just throw my 2 cents worth in.
In my opinion camo is important, but not nearly as important as having good back cover and playing the shadows of the woods.
Deer will pick up on movement but that is somewhat neutralized by having good back cover and having shadows in your favor, move slow and move based on the deers head position and its ability to see you move.....OHHHHH and expect to be busted, because it happens to all us ground hunters. Hunting from the ground is like playing Chess with the deer having the upper hand but there are times when your pieces will all be in the right position and you will get a
" Check Mate".
Dont let hunting from the ground intimidate you, grab your stool or tree seat and go gettum killer!

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
i have posted this picture before. i love this photo. i was sitting on a little 3 leg folding chair. light weight and ties to my back pack really easy. i  was walking through the woods that morning and when i saw this fallen tree and brush around it i knew that was my spot.

here was my shooting lane right in front of me

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Here is a pic of the area I'll be hunting in. Blending in won't be a problem I don't think. I agree with the back ground cover.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
John, those are awesome pics. It must have been nice to find that fallen tree with a great shooting lane like that. Have you hunted that spot more than once?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Something not mentioned(I think) is the deer aren't keyed in on your position as much anyway.

Or in my case anyway, because it is easy to set up a quickie ground blind each hunt, whereas if I hang a stand, I will typically hunt it a dozen times a season.

A mature animal will know when you have been to the same location several times. That is why your first hunt in a spot is usually your best chance to kill a big deer.

That's my .02, yer mileage may vary...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny. I think I much prefer to move it around a bit myself. Most of my deer sightings and close calls have been moving so, moving my position each time out will help. The area has lots of trees and several locations to hunt from. Going up this weekend to scout it some more.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
no but i will be back there this fall

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Wannabe1, if you are going to the area, try and do some "starter" ground blinds in hot areas.  If you do some of the work now, you are not changing a buck's "living room" right before a hunt.  And smell is long gone.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks Robert, that is a smart way of thinking. I'll take my small pack saw along and do just that.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wannabe1:
Bisch: I'm assuming that a good tree bark camo would be the way to go? Or more of a green to blend in with the surrounding brush?
Like said above, the pattern does not really matter as long as your outline is broken up. I am a real fan of leafyflage anytime I am not in a blind.

Bisch

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Do to a Back injury Yrs ago I Do Almost All my Hunting onthe ground. When I first started the Deer where so programed to tree stands that I Had Several Deer At under 5 yrds. They where all looking up for tree stands.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
My first with a trad bow was off a stool on the ground (no blind).  I also killed a few in my compound days the same way.  The last couple of years, I've mostly been hunting out of a treestand, but I'm getting a little tired of the pain in the butt that thing is lugging around and threatening to kill me.  Might go back to the stool or tree seat this year.

>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Mostly hunt from the ground, but threw out the stools a few years ago.  Most stools put you at eye level with deer.  My favorite stools are the short legged turkey seats or you can hack a few inches off a wooden stool.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Wind was wrong for the stand I was to hunt at SOlana last year so John Shepard and I hacked a blind out of the interior branches of a cedar tree that was downwind.  I sat on a black feedbucket and had does and yearlings all over me.  I ended up killing a pig from that setup later in the evening.  Perfect cover and concealment.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
Thanks, this is some great information, thanks for sharing.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©