3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My 400" Deam Bull  (Read 558 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
My 400" Deam Bull
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
I hunted caribou for the first time in 1998 after dreaming about it since I was a little boy. Like many young men, I had read the adventures of Fred Bear in Alaska and had become obsessed with the thought of hunting that wild land. I was unable to find anyone to go with me for my first trip so I just went for it alone. After arriving on my lake, the bush pilot looked around my load of equipment and stated “where is your gun”? I held up my Black Widow recurve and he simply shook his head and mumbled something as he climbed back into the plane.  That first hunt was in Western Alaska and I was overwhelmed by the wildness of the place. I had no idea what I was doing way back then but that has never slowed me down one bit.  I can remember crawling towards that fist big bull and repeating over and over to myself “I can’t believe I am really here doing this”.  I became hooked on hunting Caribou and for the next few years I chased them many times in both Alaska and Canada.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My 400" Deam Bull
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
I had some incredible hunts over the years and was lucky enough to take several great bulls but 2006 would be the most special bull of all. I was hunting with two buddies and had passed on several good bulls because I had spotted a monster bull in a basin about  five miles from camp. This bull defied description and his antlers were so wide that they kept his head off the ground when he slept. I nicknamed him Elvis and would put him in the 340" class.  I shadowed Elvis for over two days but he would never leave the group of 20 that he ran with making an approach impossible on the open tundra with forty eyes on me. I finally realized that I needed to move on to another bull before the hunt was over. I crossed the basin and found a small group of 8 really good bulls including 3-4 that would easily make the P&Y minimum and a monster bull that I thought would easily score in the 425 P&Y range.  Now, to put a 400” bull in perspective, only around a dozen scoring over this magic number have ever been taken with a traditional bow.  He dwarfed the other big bulls in his group.  It did not seem possible that an animal could carry a rack this big. I came close to getting him early as I got out in front of his group in a small patch of willows. Man my heart was POUNDING as the first bull passed me at 10 yards followed by #2, #3, #4 and so on until as #7 passed, I was sure it was about to happen. Then… nothing at all. For some reason the giant bull decided to break off from the rest and circled behind me at 50 yards. Following this encounter, I shadowed the group for six hours until they got to a bedded situation where a stalk was impossible.I must say I never thought I would ever be put in a situation where I would pass up shots on bulls in the 350" range but this boss bull was just unreal huge. I did not regret the choice.
 I decided to meet up with a buddy that was a mile or two away and see what was happening on that side of the valley. If nothing was good there, I would return to check on the current group of bulls.    

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Keep it coming... GREAT STORY!!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Good luck to ya. God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
This slnds like a good one in the making.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline MOFISH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
After meeting up with him, we approached a lone bull that was bedded in the middle of a flat plain and across a small river. Approaching the bull I had very serious doubts if I would even shoot the thing because there was just no way I could hope to encounter another 400 class bull on the same day. I was dead wrong.
I slipped to within 80 yards and was stunned at the tops on the bull. I knew right then I would try to take this bull but the stalk was going to be tough as there was little if any cover higher than 8” or so.  I crawled an inch at a time and would only move when the bedded bull would close his eyes. The freezing cold from the wet ground caused me to shiver but I had to keep my body completely flat or he would spot me for sure. I remember wondering if my hands would even work for the shot after being in the cold water for so long. An hour or so later had me to within 30 yards but I had run out of cover and there was now a river between us. This was a shot that was a little farther than I liked but I was confident I could make it if I could get to my knees without being spotted.  I pulled two arrows from my quiver and laid one in front of me for a quick back up shot. Saying a little prayer, I moved to my knees undetected.  My worn Black Widow recurve  bow came back to anchor and I sent the arrow arching across that river. The arrow took the bull very low in the chest and instantly he was on his feet unsure of what had happened. As I nocked the second arrow, he began a quartering away trot. With nothing to lose, I sent the second arrow on its way and was amazed to see it bury to the fletching just behind the shoulder of the trotting bull at around forty yards.  The bull made another seventyfive yards, turned to look at me and went down in a heap. As I approached the downed bull, my heart was pounding out of my chest.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I have been blessed with some great caribou over the years and while score never really mattered to me, a 400 class bull had long been a dream. I knew it was a dream that was pretty close to impossible. As I walked up to this bull, I knew that I was in the presence of a very special animal. Every animal I have ever taken has humbled me. This animal was a bit overwhelming. My buddy had the opportunity to see it all unfold. He stood back as I approached the bull. He seemed to know that I just wanted to be left alone for a few minutes. There was no rejoicing or back slapping. We just stood together humbled by the moment.
Normally we just cut the racks in half for the return flight home as the airlines require that they be boxed for the flight. It was clear that this rack should not be cut. I have never opted to have an animal scored for Pope and Young but this one needed to be recorded. It turns out this was a good decision.  I would have to leave the caribou at a taxidermist in Alaska to wait for an official score and that would end up taking several months. When I received the score sheet, I finally had my dream bull at 402P&Y.  I had not mounted and animal in many years but this one needed to be remembered.  

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Great story...thanks  for sharing!   :thumbsup:
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
That trip was six years ago and was just one of more than a dozen caribou adventures. After that trip, I moved on to hunting other species but my heart has always been out there on that cold, open tundra. My son is now 15 and wants a caribou in the worst way with his recurve. He needs to feel that wildness and I need to be there just as bad. It looks like a trip is in the making for 2014 and I cannot wait to see him crawling towards that first bull.

More than anything, I hope this story inspires some folks that have considered a hunt like this but are afraid to take that leap and go for it. Life is so short. If you have a dream hunt like Alaska, Canada, Africa or whatever, find a way to make it happen. You only go around one time. Dream it and then do it.
Happy hunting,  
Jerry

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing with all of us.  I'm sure there will be many memories for you and your son to follow.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Man that is an awesome story! Congrats on that feat of accomplishment. I lived in Alaska for 3yrs and never got the chance to hunt caribou. Seen lots of them but, never hunted them.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
Awesome story, I like the way you think!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Wow! Beautiful bull!!

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Last photo showing that he had a lot going on down low too.

The pictures also highlights the difficult terrain encountered on the stalk. Man do I miss Alaska.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Beautiful animal and even better advice. Good luck on the hunt with your boy.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
Awesome animal and great story thanks for sharing
Levi Bedortha

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jerry. That's a beautiful bull.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Great bull and wonderful conclusion to a lifelong quest. Congrats.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Great story! I'm looking forward to hearing the story that's sure to follow in 2014.  
I spent a lot of time with an old farmer growing up and he told me more than once, "The only thing that keeps dreams from becoming reality is inaction." That's great advice from 2 wise men! Thanks for sharing.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©