3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shipping a bow St Judes?  (Read 180 times)

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
Shipping a bow St Judes?
« on: May 06, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
I was thinking about throwing a bow or two in to the St Judes auction. I have never shipped a bow. How do you guys ship bows? Box or tube? Where can I get a box?
Thanks for any help.
Ray

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shipping a bow St Judes?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Here are the box plans:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000125

I've used USPS Priority Mail several times without a single problem.

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Thanks Marc thats what I needed.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
If you ship in a tube, expect to pay double. Box your bow and send it USPS priority.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
Keep your total dimension (length + girth) less than 84" and you won't pay any extra.  Go to USPS and learn the rules because clerks often do not.  I prefer to ship from home with USPS click and ship.  It's cheaper and the postman picks it up from your house.

I have shipped bows and bow blanks in all kinds of packages but the safest, cheapest, and easiest is 4" PVC for longbows and 6" PVC for recurves.  You might have to partially brace the recurves to get them to fit.  Some just don't and you'll have to make a box.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
I am about to add a bow in the auction also. When I received the bow, it was mailed in a plastic downspout. Seems pretty sturdy.

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Kook, I think I might try the downspout. I bet it works pretty well.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
If you are talking about the thin plastic rectangular downspout, I can't imagine it is any stronger or cheaper than PVC pipe.  Shippers are notoriously rough on long skinny items.  PVC is no guarantee but it's gotta be better than the downspout.

4" PVC will cost you about $5 for enough to ship.  6" is higher but can't be any more than $10-15.  Save the money you might spend on shipping insurance (claims are a beeotch anyway) and buy the PVC.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
You can figure around 25 dollars for bow unless they ding you for oversize then add about 10 more I think the rates went up because I've been paying a lot more lately on shipping.
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:
If you are talking about the thin plastic rectangular downspout, I can't imagine it is any stronger or cheaper than PVC pipe.  Shippers are notoriously rough on long skinny items.  PVC is no guarantee but it's gotta be better than the downspout.

4" PVC will cost you about $5 for enough to ship.  6" is higher but can't be any more than $10-15.  Save the money you might spend on shipping insurance (claims are a beeotch anyway) and buy the PVC.
The downspout I have is pretty stout. And a 10' length of 6" PVC runs $40 or more. the caps alone are 7-10$ a piece.   :eek:

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I don't use PVC caps. I cut a piece of 1" board to the proper diameter to fit inside the PVC. Insert the board into end of the PVC and use 3 or 4 screws through the PVC into the wood.  I cover the end with duct tape.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©