3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most collectible trad bows  (Read 262 times)

Offline second2none

• Trad Bowhunter
Most collectible trad bows
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Hey guys....new to the forum and wanted some opinions on what you think are the most collectible trad bows. Both makes and models as well as bows that many might think are valuable or collectible but you would suggest otherwise.  I love to shoot em and might start buying more vintage bows.  Might as well buy bows that will also hold their value.  Thanks
Just trying to learn about things that interest me before my time is up.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most collectible trad bows
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Welcome to tradgang!  Check out the trad history and collecting forum.  You can learn a ton from there on old bows.

Collecting old bows can be fun.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
I second what Colin said.  Also different old bows are attractive to different people.

Some collect Brownings and Ben pearsons.  Some like Bears and old Hills.  there's a bunch out there people would think are No name bows.  Then there's Damon Howatt and Shakespeare. Some people like Old Black widows.  all of them could hold some value. You could end up with a lot of bows if you want to collect. I have heard of some people having more than 300 bows.  I figured it was getting out of hand at 20.

Have fun and enjoy.  I still shoot a few older ones and love em.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Welcome to Tradgang and welcome to the world of collecting.

Early Bear Takedowns are without a doubt the most collectible of all vintage bows.  Prices have doubled in the past few years while most other vintage bows are bringing half of what folks paid for them just a few years ago.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Trap beat me to it.

Those early takedowns of Mr. Bear (especially the A model) has doubled in price and popularity.  There were supposedly only a few hundred of these made, but they keep popping up.  Prices have gone from $1200-1500 up to $2500-3000.
Lon Scott

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
yep...wide range of makes and prices.  I personally prefer to collect a couple older Brownings...not all of them but just the ones that catch my eye for styling and overall beauty (Safari, Explorer, Cobra).  Also partial to older Bob Lee Red Wing Hunters, old Damon Howatts, and have a Pearson Mustang with zebra wood strike plate on my wall to refinish and sell.

what makes it fun is finding the ones that make your heart skip a beat and then finding them for prices you believe they are worth in the condition you find acceptable...dont get too caught up in outdoing the next guy.

I have seen bows I wouldnt pay $50 for because of cracks, twists, disrepair go for $200 on the big auction place....and have gotten some I would have paid well over $200 for only $75.  It is a fickled hobby for sure..  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline second2none

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
I appreciate the responses guys.  I find a lot of old interesting bows that turn my head.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Maybe you could look around on Eb*y to see what the market is like and what is popular.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
Like Trap said the early Bear takedowns are very popular among collectors. Those, and the 56" Kodiaks are the cream of the crop.
And I would add the St. Charles Thunderbird to the list as well.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
I'd concentrate on the ones that have a reputation for excellent shooting qualities over just plain collectability. There are some real sleepers out there.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline second2none

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Reddogge that's what I'm really interested in the most...I LOVE to shoot...what do y'all consider as some great shooters that won't break the bank?

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by second2none:
Hey guys....new to the forum and wanted some opinions on what you think are the most collectible trad bows. Both makes and models as well as bows that many might think are valuable or collectible but you would suggest otherwise.  I love to shoot em and might start buying more vintage bows.  Might as well buy bows that will also hold their value.  Thanks
Welcome.
Buy, collect and shoot bows that YOU like. I would advise you to try different bows if you get a chance. Fred Bear gets most of the collectors interest but as mentioned in a previous post, their are so many amazing vintage bows to shoot and collect.

Yes, the Bear take down is at the top of the mountain in terms of most collectible and The mighty Kodiaks (especially crystalite models) and Super Kodiak models come in 2nd.
But I promise you, a vintage Damon Howatt, Wing, Howard or Wilson Bros. widow will NOT disappoint you. Ofcoarse there are other bow makers I haven't mentioned.
Discovering what you like is part of it and most rewarding. Enjoy!

.....Philip
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Most collectable?  Tice & Watts.

Most collected?  Bear.

;)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by second2none:
Reddogge that's what I'm really interested in the most...I LOVE to shoot...what do y'all consider as some great shooters that won't break the bank?
My vote goes to the 1956 or 1957 Bear Kodiak. You should be able to find one for less than $200.00 and they are excellent shooters.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline second2none

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
Trap(and all you other guys)

Would you say that the Kodiak Hunter or Super Kodiak or Kodiak Special is a better shooter...I shoot instinctive.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
All good shooters in the right hands, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic.  

I had a 62" 59 Kodiak Special that I truly regret selling.  One of the best Bears I ever shot.  

The Super Kodiak is pretty much a one piece version of the Bear Takedown.  The Super K design has been mirrored by other manufacturers successfully which says a lot about how good it was in it's day.  Take a look at Bighorns and Predators and you'll see the Super Kodiak within those lines.

I dont personally have any experience with the Kodiak Hunter but a lot of guys swear by them.  They always seemed a little high-wristed for me.  They are built like a tank and will likely be around here thrilling archers for another 100 years.

Heck get one of each.  That's the fun part.  Trap

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
A selfbow made by a master like Ed Scott or Dean Torges
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©