3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado alpine deer hunt  (Read 835 times)

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado alpine deer hunt
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Well, I'm planning a DIY southwest colorado alpine mule deer hunt. Have hunted whitetails and turkey all my life.

Anyone did this type of hunt, it will be a solo bivy hunt, I hear it's one of the toughest bow hunts out there. I have been running utlra marothons, running a 50 miler in September. I started them because I knew at some point I would have the drive to tackle the mountains.

Any advice, tactics, gear, anything will help. I have my units narrowed down and can draw with zero points, will be a 3 week time frame on hunt. 1st 3 weeks of the season.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado alpine deer hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
I did it once and am looking forward to going back soon.  Altitude sickness was my first hard lesson.  The other is don't under estimate the recreational runners and hikers and such that use these kinds of areas if your within 50 miles of a reasonably large town.  If you are going to draw with no points, shoot me a PM and I can let you know if I know much about the area.
I didn't get one but it was a memorable and rewarding experience.  Good luck.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Maarv Clynke may or may not be on this board, but he has loads of experience in hunting big bucks above timberline.  Look for his article in TB mag.  Might be willing to give you some pointers if you get in touch with him.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Well you've got the cardio covered.  Lol. That's usually the big thing I would have you get covered. Regardless of how good of a hunter or shot you are. If your body can't make it there. You aren't doing anything. Do the research on the units.  % Of kills, number of tags bought etc. I would be so bold as to say. EVERY UNIT HAS DEER! Just what quality are you looking for. A super mossback buck or any deer. Be prepared to bivy at high altitude in the bad wind and possibly rain and snow. And wake up early to glass from up high as the thermals are rising.  Best not go it alone. I've seen deer in literally every unit I have hunted here in colorado. Again. Just decide what it is you are looking for.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Got your PM.  Hunted just east of there.  Very steep country.  I'd get a copy of Bowhunting Open Country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh.  You'll learn a lot about strategy from that one.  I'd also get a copy of One With the Wilderness by Mike Mitten for strategy on going solo in that kind of wilderness.  
Other things I learned...
Get a tent big enough to sit up in just in case you're stuck in it for over 24 hours.  Don't wear your camo if you have to go into Aspen for fuel or something.  Get good glass.  I didn't take a spotter and that was a mistake.  Hunt with your glass most of the day on a hunt like this.  The better your glass, the better your hunt.  I'll think of more later.  Good luck!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Duckbutt:
 Don't wear your camo if you have to go into Aspen for fuel or something.
Hah, I am glad I did not follow your advice or I would have never met you...

Anyway, Julian gives good advice.  Good optics are key.  Drink lots of water and go a couple days early so you don't have to exert yourself until you can get acclimated to the altitude.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
What Monteray said, I would try to use Marve flagging technique the opening week. They become educated and scarce when push just one time. Become more difficult to see as the season goes on but I have always been looking for elk.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I have really no choice on the solo part, my hunting buddies are not interested or can make the time sacrifice, nor do I want to get them wrapped up in hunt they are not 110 percent on.

I am looking for a respectable deer, it would be icing on the cake, but just looking to learn and the experience for further ventures for elk,ect.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
OK then, flagging is out.  Now mind you, I am no mule deer expert, but I have stalked a lot of sheep around where you are looking.

Get good binoculars.
Get them on a tripod.
USE the binoculars!

When you find the deer you want, do not rush.  Watch him or her and take note of where the other deer are.

Now is the MOST important part.  Get yourself some landmarks.  Take some time and plan your stalk. Write it down if you have to.  The mountains are big, but you can find specific marks to hit as you make your way to the deer.

Try to get above them and stalk down for your final stalk.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
Are vortex optics any good, read decent reviews, I will be on a budget, but I don't want to buy junk either.

The pair I have are junk, anyone use the sitka bivy 45 pack? Looking at that MSR Hubbard tent.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
The high end Razors are very good.  They ones I have looked at are A- glass to my eyes. They will do you well.

They have improved the Sitka packs greatly since they first came out.  I have a Bivy 45 Tall and use it for anything less than a major expedition. Long heavy trips I use a Mystery Ranch 6500.

HubbaHubba is a good one.  Big Agnes makes good gear that wont break the bank.  I used a Seedhouse II for a long time, they have better and lighter now.  My BA sleeping bag and pad are one of my most prized possesions...better than the bed at home.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
I just put in for my iowa bow tag, hope to be hunting the loess hills in sw iowa. Turkey hunted in April, like a mini mountain range, steep stuff made this flat lander feel like he was in te mountains.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
BA bag?

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Look at Zen-Ray optics, for the $

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Big Agnes.  They are in Colorado.  Their sleeping bags have no insulation in the bottom, only a sleeve for an insulated pad.  Their insulated air core pads are extremely comfortable.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
Steve O - ..."better than the bed at home"
You gotta get a better bed!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
Adam...You will have a great time. Hunting Mule Deer above timberline is one of my favorite hunts.  It will get in your blood.

You've been given some great advise already.  I'll expand on a few of the items and add a few.  Most of this I learned the hard way, hopefully you won't have to.

Optics - Steve O is spot on about getting good binoculars.  A spotting scope is also extremely helpful, but if you can only splurge on one or the other make it the binos.  You will also want a nice tripod and head with a quick release plate and a bino adapter.  Here is a pic of the setup I used on my last hunt

The tripod is a Slik Sprint and the head is a Bogen 700RC2. Both are reasonably priced and I've been extremely happy with both.

The MSR Hubba tent is a great choice. Like Matty said you can expect some extremly strong winds and probably some violent storms during a week long hunt.  It's a good idea to try to find some wind breaks for your tent if possible. Here is my HubbaHubba set up at about 12,500.  It handled the winds without a hitch.

You also need to narrow down the location you want to hunt within your unit. I would definately make calls to the biologist that handles that specific area as well the forest service ranger for that district. They can let you know which trails see the most use by recreational hikers.

One other thing worth considering if you are going in more than 6 or 7 miles is calling a local outfitter in the area (the forest service ranger will be able to tell you which ones are in the area you are looking at) and seeing if he offers a pack in service.  Sometimes you can get them to pack you in at an extremely reasonable cost and it's a huge benefit to start the hunt on fresh legs.  While you have them on the phone tell them the area you are looking at and ask them them if it typically holds good bucks or if they can recommend other areas.   Be sure to tell them you're hunting with a stickbow...they'll think your crazy and are likely to share a little more info with you.

Once you get on your hunt and you spot your buck, listen to Steve O's advise and don't rush it (I've learned this one the hard way).   If it's early in the morning try to watch him bed and let the morning thermals get steady. Make sure he's in an approachable location, if not don't push it.  He will likely hang in the area until he's pushed so let him get in a location where you can access him without busting him.  I've found that getting within 50 or 60 yds is not extremely difficult, it's closing that last 20 - 30 yards for a good stickbow shot where the hunt really begins.  Once you do get within range, don't try to force anything, let him stand on his own and present a shot(again, learned the hard way).  

There are also some excelent books out on the subject. One that I would recommend is Public Land Mule Deer by David Long.  It is not specifically an archery book but it is about hunting Mule Deer above timberline and is a wealth of knowledge.

One last thing, I'm assuming you are talking about hunting in 2014 since 2013 apps were already due.  Make sure you pay attention to the dates of the early rifle and muzzleloader season.  Several of the units in SW CO have early season rifle and muzzleloader hunts for areas above timberline that fall within the first couple weeks of season.  You can still bowhunt but you'll be competing with the guns. Just something to consider.

Good luck and enjoy....the planning is almost as fun as the hunt!!

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
You guys are awsome, I have it narrrowed down to to a few units. Do you guys carry a handgun, what power binos?

The hunt will be for 2014, seems I have a good chance at drawing the places I researched with no points. Its about a 16hr poke from big MO to SW Colorado and 12 to the other region.

Do you have a pack list? I will be on a budget and will have to be very savvy on gear, and use my legs to do the work.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Best choice for all around bino is 10 x 42.  They will work good everywhere. My list changes for every hunt.  You figure out where you are going, get your list together and I am sure there are a bunch of guys here who will help you refine it and offer suggestions.

Only place I carry a handgun is Alaska.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Copy that, let me ask you guys this, I have grown up hunting public land in the midwest, deer and turkey. Once i threw away every book and magzine and became a outside of the box hunter my sucess has risen to level I never imagened.

I hunt deer in places people would laugh at or overlook, sometimes they are deep or watching you from the parking lot. I can only assume that this holds true out there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©