3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado alpine deer hunt  (Read 832 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado alpine deer hunt
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
If they were these $1000 Gold Rings

A new set of Razor HDs will blow them away.  If you watch the auction site you can find some used Leica, Swarovski, or Zeiss cheaper than new Vortex.  Most guys don't use their expensive optics up.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Keb, you're getting a lot of good advice from the Tradders. DEFINITELY mount your binos on a tripod. It took me too many years hunting/glassing the backcountry to catch on to this--knew about it, just figured resting my elbows on my knees was good enough. Not so! You'll find way more deer with your optics totally solid. For a scope, check out the Kowa TSN-60. It is reasonably priced (still expensive) compared to Swarovski and Zeiss. I used the 12X50 Swarovski's last year and LOVED them. I had been using the 10X42's up until then. I've used all of the MSR tents, from the original Hubba, Hubba HP, Carbon Reflex in both 1 & 2 person versions. All of them are great tents. My CR2 broke its ridge pole in a severe windstorm in Colorado last year and the broken pole tore a hole in the rain fly. Luckily one of my buddies had an extra tent or Steadman would have been bummed! I think you'll have plenty of time with 3 weeks to hunt. I would work on a Plan A, B & C area. With that amount of time to hunt, you'll likely burn up  your spot if you hunt one area for that length of time. If you go in for ten days, carrying that much food won't be too bad. Then you can pull out mid-trip and move. If you don't have time to scout, you'll want to have more than one option lined up anyway. If you want to look into something besides a Sat phone, get a SPOT Connect. I've used it on some of my backcountry hunts with good success. You can send 160 character text messages, SOS calls and pre-composed messages to cell or email recipients. Unfortunately, it is only one way communication. I have had good luck with cell service when I'm on ridge or mountain tops. Typically, Verizon has better service than the other carriers when you are in remote areas. When you are doing your research, you should be able to find out from biologists, packers or forest service employees about cell service before you commit to a Sat phone. I rented one once, made a test call as instructed, then was never able to get out on it the whole time I was hunting. Had sufficient signal, but it wouldn't connect. Glad I didn't have an emergency!

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
Yeah, the only truly safe thing to do is carry a PLB that does not rely on satellites.  I have had decent luck with Iridium phones and would not even look at Globalstar, their constellation is jacked.  That said the Globalstar one way (simplex) portion of the sat's is working fine and SPOT does a good job of keeping folks informed.

I second KOWA, my spotter is quite nice for the money and totally overlooked by the hunting community.

If you don't backpack much I would highly recommend a few trial runs during the shoulder seasons to get used to gear and trim some of the fat.  We all carry way too much the first time out .  

In terms of a shelter I have been using a tipi or just a fly/tarp type setup for the last few years and really like it.  The offerings from GoLite can be found used and relatively inexpensive or the MSR fast and light tents.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »
Keep it coming learning something new every few hours, thanks guys.

Bivy hunter, I was watching one of your videos today, what's the distance of most of your shots?

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Listen to South!! Yes a bummer undead as it was the first night of an 8 day hunt!! I learned then that carbon arrows and duct tape would have had a place in the backcountry!!
I can't answer for all of Souths shots but I filmed him make about a three yard shot give or take a couple feet. Shot distance is what you make of it. If you stalk a buck that's in a position to only offer a thirty yard shot, that's what you'll get. Be patient, you can find close shots. I was lucky to get to hunt with one of the premier back country mule deer hunters and learned more than I could have on my own in years. Water is very important!!! Good luck, it is one of my most cherished hunting memories for sure!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
I'm currently cyber scouting, what features should I look for?

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Keb,
You've hit the jackpot with the folks that are giving you tips on this thread....the best of the best.  I'd have given up body parts for some South Cox advice before my first  solo trip above timberline for mossy horns!

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
I dont know if anyone has said this yet but look at hornhunter packs. They are made in the USA. Some of the best backs i have ever hunted with.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Copy that, gotten allot of tips from folks that will save me some time instead of wandering around in the mnts. Cant say enough thanks to those giving me a hand on this adventure.

Im glad I am doing the homework now, instead of when I get the tag, I have it narrowed down to a unit I should be able to draw in it or one other one.

Online John R. Graves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
Guys, I know this may piss some off, I know how many of you feel about supporting the local guides, the mom & pop retailers, etc...  But I will say don't come to Colorado to hunt.  Our state government, run by liberal progressives, won't support you, don't support them with fees and taxes.  Any animal you wish to hunt can be found elsewhere.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
I live and hunt in Colorado and disagree with everything you say and imply.
Cynical does not even begin to describe your comments.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Funny thing is I was using an Iridium sat phone. I know the Globalstar system went down a handful of years ago. They actually just started re-launching new satellites in the past couple of years. Check their website for updated info, but they should be good to go for this coming season. I stopped by their booth at the Outdoor Retailers Show last August and they were functional then and increasing coverage with each new satellite launch.
My farthest shot distance in 2011 in Colorado was less than 20 yards and as close as 12 feet. 2012 was also measured in feet. It all depends on the country that you're hunting. The country I hunt in Nevada, my shots are much longer, 25-40 yards. I was lucky and found a basin that had several bands of rimrock that bucks would occasionally bed below. When I'm looking at new country, I'm always looking for country that is conducive to stalking. Minor folds in the terrain, boulder fields, small creek drainages or ditches etc. This type of country would likely be tough to pick out on Google Earth as you are looking for subtle terrain features. They don't have to be formidable obstacles, just big enough to hide a sneaky bowhunter. Personally, I like to let bucks I am after bed down before I stalk them. This usually gives me the time I need to do a loop around and come in from behind (and hopefully above)them. Feeding bucks are more distracted, but if they are moving as they feed, it can be futile to try to keep up with them. Beware of the ampitheater bowls, even if they are packed with big bucks. I watched a basin with 11 bachelor bucks in it for the better part of a week in 2011 and never was able to put a decent stalk together. From the bottom or the side, the bucks could watch anything that came into the bowl. It was torture!
I would go in a day or two before the season at most. I have found when I go in 7-10 miles, I run into few other hunters. I would rather be "scouting" with a bow in my hand and a valid tag ready for use. If you are hunting an area with more pressure, you would definitely be wise to spend more time before the opener identifying as many spots with bucks as you could so that you would have as many options as possible when the hunters started showing up. I've found that the majority of the guys that I've seen are after elk or quickly loose heart with the ruggedness of the terrain or the idea of packing out a buck and then having to return for their camp.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Thanks agian for the advice. What kind of pack do you use?

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
I know South is super busy, but for the last two years he used the KUIU icon. Last year we both had the 5000. They were great for bivying out from our base camp and hauling Souths buck back to base camp. Get a pack that's comfortable and can haul the amount of weight you're gonna carry without problems. I'm doing workout with my KUIU 3000 with 50 lbs without a problem right now.
Bottom line is do your research get in shape and go hunt. There will always be things you'll want to change or will be better next time.
Oh prepare your mind too!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
"I would work on a Plan A, B & C area." - South Cox

"When I'm looking at new country, I'm always looking for country that is conducive to stalking." - South Cox

"Oh prepare your mind too!"  - Ryan Steadman

Adam...of all the advise you've been given, the ones above are probably three of the most important.  Don't overlook them.  These are way more important than the gear you select.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Copy that. Thanks agian folks.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
One last thing to all the guys who were kind enought to offer help, if you ever plan a DIY, deer hunt in iowa,kansas or Missouri get with me. I have been all over them chasing big whitetails.

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
In one of Steadmans posts he pointed out that water is important. You will need to have water close, it is brutal to have to drop down very far to get your water. Most basins have water some dont. You will also need a good way to treat your water.
Enjoy, alpine in the Colorado mountains Will get in your blood!

Offline parshal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
What timing for this thread.  I have 11 preference points for deer, elk, antelope and mtn. goat and planned on using the deer points for a mountain buck hunt in 2014.  Like Keb, I'm already gearing up for it with more than one purchase from Kifaru.  The hunt is well over a year away but I'm already excited.  I may hunt with a rifle or bow, I'm not quite sure yet.  I still haven't narrowed down the area I want to hunt yet.

Keb, my points may put me in a different area than you but, if we can make the hunt together, that may make it easier from a supply and safety standpoint.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Parshal, it would be a shame to burn all of those points on a unit that you could draw with 0-1 point....but I would burn 11 on the unit I've hunted the for the past couple of years!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©