3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer sleds? Any opinions?  (Read 988 times)

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer sleds? Any opinions?
« on: August 28, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
I usually hunt the lowland cedar and conifer swamps with at least a 1 mile or more walk back to any sort of trail. Very rarely get to hunt on snow and usually operate alone. Was thinking of trying one of the various deer sleds out there in conjunction with my usual harness and drag system. Would like to hear from anyone who has used them.
Get up close and personal... hunt traditional

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer sleds? Any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
I used to use one in Maine (I just bought a cheap plastic sled) and I can definitely say they work just as well on leaves, grasses, needles, marshes, etc. as they do on snow. When I moved back to NC, I was thinking sled:noSnow - so I gave it to my hunting buddy up there. Pleanty of times since then I've wished I still had it - and they don't redily sell them down here - LOL. I think you'll like it. I've been using a cart I built out of a jogging stroller. Had one stolen, wore the second one out (I use them to haul everything, in and out). Last month my wife bought me a Deer cart that Sportsman Guide has on sale, as an early birthday present. I won't know how to act with that - LOL.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
My father shot a buck a couple years ago and my brother in law dragged it out for him on a sled.  He went with a full body mount which was beautiful.  The sled really preserved the cape from the mile drag through rocks and rough terrain.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
I used the Super Mag Hauler from Cabelas last year for the first time - it belonged to a friend.  Liked it so much, I bought one for myself for this year.  Sometimes I end up with a long drag, and at 57, need all the help I can get.
Mel Riley

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
I use a childrens 2 person plastic snow sled-cheap, nasty, and it works good.

The "Crazy Carpet" snow sliders would be great, too, if they were a little longer.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
They work great,but watch goin downhill in snow ,THERE AIN'T NO BRAKES!!  Don't ask how I know...........
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
A snowmobile sled is extra thick and will last many, many years.  I got a break about 12 years ago and found one on close out for $10.00.  Has saved me a bunch of work.  Keeps the back of the SUV clean from blood and mud, too.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
I'm another user of a childrens sled.  I modified it a bit by adding some bolt on screw eyes and rope to tie the deer on.  Can't imagine how the high priced ones could work any better.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
I like my Versacart.  My good friend has had good success with his "Deer Sleigher".  He found it rolls up and fits nicely in a "Thermarest" sleeve and he straps it to his pack.  He's dragged several pigs for quite a way with it.  Holds up well and very light and compact.

Offline GR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
I use a kids snow sled and its great. works wonderful across picked fields, mud, snow you name it. I added a few ropes to mine to hold em in. Also stores great in the back of the truck. I'll try and take a few photos if your interested.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by ber643:
Last month my wife bought me a Deer cart that Sportsman Guide has on sale, as an early birthday present. I won't know how to act with that - LOL.
You'll like it a lot if its the one I'm thinking of... but still is work to pull up hill through an area thats been clear cut... but much easier than dragging... but , then its a good problem to have...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
I'm sure I will, Slasher. I used it just Mon. to haul some gear around in the woods. I was pretty pleased, except for it catching on stobs - but then they all do that. The Jogging Strollers were lighter but nowhere near as sturdy and don't have the longevity, I'm sure - and the tires are always going flat. The tires on the new one are solid - no tubes.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
My dad has a deer sled, I love it.  Here in the ozarks after the leaves have fallen, if you are going down hill, you had better get out of the way it will run you over.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
I bought one of these.  Haven't tried it yet but it is very slick material.  Looks like it would slide to anything.  It rolls up and extremely light to carry.

http://www.cabelas.com/hprod-1/0005553.shtml

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
Of all the sleds I've tried those that look like kids snow sleds work best. The ones made for deer hunting are thicker plastic and have tie downs. Both are a big plus. I bought a game cart two years ago for $50 from the local farm store (Rual King. It looked just like the one in Cabelas and was built very well. The cart is the only way to go. Even if you leave it in the truck and walk the mile back to get it, it will save you time and a bunch of work!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
I still use the plain blue plastic sled I had as a kid.    I just added a few bungies to help keep things from bouncing around when I take stuff to my stand.

If you hunt when there is snow, just a plain tarp makes things slide a lot easier.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
We use a sled all the time. We've found it is better than wheels in the woods. They are great for hauling stands to the woods or getting deer out, especially if there is a lot of clutter in the woods.

I just got my new one in from Cabelas today. It is on sale now. It is the Shappell Jet Sled --check it out at the Cabelas site and read the reviews.
  :thumbsup:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
I also have a deer sleigher, but I really don't think too highly of it.  Fact.. it is still on the shelf where I placed it probably 10 years ago.  I did not like the way a deer fit on it (or didn't).  A pig now, might fit very well.  After several tries, I think I can say...a deer doesn't.  The regular kid's sleds however work very well.  You might consider either using a pair of ski poles or cut some walking sticks to help you walk thru the marshy areas while dragging the deer out.
ChuckC

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Theyused hard plastic sleds at a bear camp that I hunted at in Saskatchewan and I was really impressed by the ease with which they drug out game even over logs and other obstacles.  The biggest benefit was the protection to the hide/fur.  It is definately worth a try.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©