3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long longbows, they really aint that much longer  (Read 405 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Long longbows, they really aint that much longer
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Since seeing a number of threads over time about folks wanting to go to a short longbow, it got me to thinking, how much difference is there? so with that in mind I braced a 62" a 70" and a 68" and compared.
It may be a matter of personal perception as to what constitutes to long for hunting, but these were my results.
When a 62" longbow is compared to a 70" the added length when braced is only 3 1/2 inches on both ends, 7 inches total and compared to a 68" its only 3 Inches on the ends and 6 inches total.
When compared to a 62" longbow, and actually seeing the physical difference, 6 inches and 7 inches sure aint much when braced.
I thought id post this as food for thought for those who might be debating between a long, longbow or a short longbow as the overall length is pretty minimal.
Long or short, sharp heads are the key, no matter what length bow you shoot.
Paul

[/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long longbows, they really aint that much longer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
I would guess, that there have been a lot of shots that went awry or were not taken due to that few extra inches.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
I prefer the longer 68" bows simply because they seem to draw a bit more smoothly than many of the shorter bows I have tried. But in all honesty,I have no real proof that they perform any better.  Longer bows have never caused me any grief on the stand as it is fairly easy to get in the habit of drawing with close attention to where the lower limb is in relation to the stand.  I do, however, have some issue at 3D shoots when the shot requires the use of a pop-up blind. That does not cause a hunting problem for me, because I never hunt out of this type blind. I am glad to see that somebody has actually put a tape measure to the length question.
Sam

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
I would guess, that there have been a lot of shots that went awry or were not taken due to that few extra inches.
QFT. Been there.

3" on each end can make a huge difference from a ground blind, a tree stand or even stalking/still hunting. 62" tip to tip is a happy medium for me between compactness and length, 64" tip to tip at the most is the longest bow I will hunt with in the woods. My 48" bear supermag though, I can draw and fire in some the tightest thickest stuff that you'd never even get a 60" longbow into, let alone shoot in.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I don't really notice the longer length. I do notice I shoot better with a longer bow.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
I've NEVER had a problem with a 70 inch longbow on the ground - never!  It's all in the setup.  Not the length of the bow.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
No problems here with 66-68". I shoot a longer bow and will set my stands accordingly
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
My 54" longbows work great for me.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
I foul up just as well with my 68 and 70" bows as I do with a 62".

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
I can speak from experience that it makes a huge difference. I had a 70" bow last year and I missed several deer due to the fact that it was too long. I even missed a good buck twice! I will be going back to my 58-60" bows from now on.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ground Hunter:
I've NEVER had a problem with a 70 inch longbow on the ground - never!  It's all in the setup.  Not the length of the bow.
I'd like to see how you get through the thick scrub trees, thorn vines, small branches, fallen trees and overall tangle of a mess some of the thick stuff around here is like. I used to use a 72" longbow and it constantly got tangled, hung up and caught on vines, and branches and leaves. I switched to a 62" and it happens alot less. I carry the bow tip forward in a horizontal fashion, ti slip through most stuff, but theres always a branch that slips between limb and string and the longer the bow the more room for that to happen. Other times when its really thick I carry the bow vertically belly facing me, but the longer the bow the more branches for it to whack on at the top and bottom.

It defies logic to say a longer bow can be manuvered with the same ease and effectiveness as a shorter bow. The longer a bow is, the more its going to catch, snag and get hit and caught on things. Theres a reason why the horse bow was invented, longbows couldn't be manuevered on horse back lol.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »
I have a 31" draw, longer is better:) Although,  64" seems to be plenty long enough, been in a few blinds that that would be too long in, just got a double bull and didn't have any problem taking practice shots out of, but that was shooting at stuff dead center out the front, off to the side it could be problematic uless I'm by myself in it. 62" is my minimum bow now, although I did shoot a bow at the local shop that was only about 50" or so and it was awsome, think it was called "dark archer" maybe by bob lee???? it didn't stack at all and man was it smooth, was glad somebody bought it before I talked myself into it for a ground blind bow. In the end it comes back to personal preference, but I agree with original poster, when you divide the difference in lenght of said bows by 2, it don't add up to much!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
Sometimes you just need a short bow. I do good missing with both long or short. I like them 58"-52"
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
for me the difference shows up in the woods,  about 62" is as long as I like to carry.  Seems anything longer then that starts to be more difficult in moving freely etc.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
My 68" longbow has never been an issue from the ground or treestand for me.  I have never hunted out of a pop up/tent type blind so not sure if that would be a problem or not?  I've shot shorter bows in the past but will never go back now.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I have a 26 plus draw is all, I like 68" fast tip longbows. However, there are some shot positions, when wearing heavy coats, that the string contacts my chest with enough pressure that requires me to adjust my aim. I find that a 64" recurve has about the same string angle as the 68" longbow and causes the same contact.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
My experience has been I prefer a 66" longbow to a short bow, even out of a treestand or in the brush.  In a pop up blind, well, that is the only place I found difficulty with the longer bow.  Even there I will go no shorter than 60".
ChuckC

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I have a 64" Maddog in progress.  Byron Ferguson's book recommended that length for my draw length.  I've never shot a really long longbow, I bet they shoot nice. Interesting, Moleman, thanks!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
64" is the cutoff for me. I won't use anything shorter than that. 66" works well also. Never had a problem with one of these lengths. It is all in the setup.
Personally, I don't even consider anything less
tha 64" a longbow. I figure there is a reason the word long is in longbow.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
There are advantages to different length longbows to some degree or other. The deciding factor should be the longbow you shoot the best. A longbow by traditional design should be long. The length factor can be debated to no end, but " too long " should not take a back seat to" shootability. " What good is a short bow in the brush if you can't shoot it well. In my opinion, no bow is very suitable to brush hunting by design. Hunt accordingly and adjust to your weapons limitations.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©