3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Schrade Knives......Pics  (Read 294 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Schrade Knives......Pics
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
For years I carried the little Old Timer for hunting, fishing and trapping. When I opened my shop in 1995, I had a friend who worked for Schrade, worked out a deal and I sold them here.

One thing I learned when I started hunting, always carry 2 knives, still do. I love the larger Outback and the smaller Bear Paw I carry in the backquiver. Great knives no longer manufactured.

The other small item I carry is a Sagen Saw for splitting bone. Here is what never leaves my Fanny packs or Catquiver.

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Schrade Knives......Pics
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I like the old Schrade knives...
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
I have a bunch of old Schrades, great knives that take an edge well. Shame that they went out of business here in New York State. I , like you always have 2-3 knives and a saw when afield, even when stumping! Hey , you might have to make a ground blind in a good spot at the spur of the moment......lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
Joe, I got an Old Timer for Christmas when I was a kid.   I thought I was Hot Stuff!!  I bought the same Uncle Henry that you have there (3rd one down LB 5?) in 1986 from the hardware store down the road from my house. That was and s my all time favorite knife.  I broke the blade about 15 years ago, trying to pry a broadhead out of a tree!! I went and bought another. Dressed out a lot of deer and turkeys with that one too!  I also have a Sharpfinger somewhere.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Schrade made very good knives for the money. I have a favorite from their custom shop.  What a shame to lose a great American manufacturer to the foreign market.  I always carry more than one knife as well.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
I worked for a wholesaler, actually, a Jobber, in MT.  When they closed, I bought every Scrimshaw that Shrade made then and a number of Uncle Henry with the "Loose it we replace it" guarantee.

Kids (3 teen boys and a sub teen girl) traveled from upper MT thru all the states robbing and breaking into storage facilities. They got all my Scrimshaw knives and U.H.'s Sad day... they would break in one town...travel a ways, sell in bars in another town...finally caught in NV or someplace...

Just possessions. I know have the Sharp Finger I gave my Dad "new in box" cause he never used it!

Last scrimshaw I have of theirs!

Great knives. I have a few trapper models still around for service...great single blade locker with a small blade for all service...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ymountainman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
The Outback is my favorite knife. My buddies called it my NASA knife because it said the handle was proprietery space approved rubber? I have 4 of them.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
I have several real Schrade knives. i have regular Bear Paw and Papa Bear version with the stag handles. I still carry a Golden Spike some that was fathers day present the year I became a father.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Had a schrade & Walden folder. Turned up missing, I would love yo find another!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
I have a few Schrades still,mostly folders.A buddy of mine,who lost his job when they closed the Ellenville plant,has a bunch of proto type Schrades that never hit the market.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
I had a old timer improved muskrat the first knife I ever owned bought it for myself. I was robbed this past winter and they stole a lot of my custom knifes and my old timer. I would like to get my hands of them. You can replace some stuff but it is not the same had that knife for 42years alot of memories and good times.    Widow

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
Wow Widow, that really stinks!!!

Its funny how many of us guys from our area of NY new someone who worked for Schrade!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
I always carry two knives also. I have several Schrades. They always seemed real easy for me to sharpen. Gary

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
Definitely good knives.  I still drive past the old factory from time to time.

seems NY was a hotbed for knife manufacturers.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
I carry a small three blade Schrade knife every day, that are great knives.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Liked you guys I loved the old usa Schrades, thought they was one of the best knives.  Made the switch to usa made Esse.

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
If you like the old Schrades you will really like the Canal Street knives made in the original factory on Canal Street in Ellenville, NY.  When Schrade closed a group of former employees formed Canal Street Cultlery.  I know one of them real well and he a top notch guy and a great knife maker.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
I have an old Shrade Sharp Finger I got for subscribing to Guns & Ammo years ago - a great deal!

And another favorite hunting knife - a Shrade Badger.  Looks odd but is ideal for field dressing and takes a wonderful edge.

Good, hard working hunting knifes.    :thumbsup:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
My dad had an oldtimer sheath knife and I have been lookin for one to replace his sence it was stolen some years back but I haven't found one like his it was a great knife

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
My wife gave me a folding hunter the 1st Christmas we were married. 43 years ago.
 Great wife, great knife. Still have them both.   :)
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©