3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: treasures while turkey huntin........(morels)  (Read 366 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: treasures while turkey huntin........(morels)
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
I usually find them around dead Elms.  I have a book that says apple trees, Aspen trees, Elm trees, oak trees, in the open, under brush, on slopes, in valleys, on Mountains. The nice thing about elms is, with dutch elm disease, there are a lot of dead ones around which makes them easy to spot and a good candidate for morels.

The reality is, you can find them anywhere. I have found them growing out of rocks and wood chip piles. My wife found some at a 3d shoot in a fire pit.

They have a fine network of Roots.  The morels pop up when conditions are Perfect.  They need the right soil temp and the right amount of moisture.  They can go several years between sprouting if conditions are not right.

the trick is to try and develop a pattern as to where you find them on a given day, then you can narrow your search.  Yesterday, we found almost all of ours on North facing slopes.  next week they could be else where.

When you pick them, carry them in a mesh bag (potato or onion) this will drop spores and plant new morels for future hunting.  It will keep the mushrooms better than if you put them in plastic like a  bread bag.

Best way to find them is go out and hunt.  bring a bow and shoot some stumps.

Good Luck Mark, that area is great for morels.  The Muscoda Morel festival should be next weekend in that area.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
I managed to find about a pound yesterday.

Found a nest of eaten turkey eggs.  the raccoon had them scattered all over by a creek.  It was raining pretty hard so I didn't bring my camera.  these are from a phone afterward.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
I cant get out till this afternoon but we will be lookin nice find by all so

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©