3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tear high cannot get rid of it, dropped nock  (Read 294 times)

Offline Elk Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Tear high cannot get rid of it, dropped nock
« on: August 28, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
I have a tear high at 5 yards and no matter what I do with the nock "lower or raise" it just gets worse???
Its a das with a plunger and elevated rest, I have tried different spine, point weight " i know that should not effect it "  to reduce it
going to 250 gr tip weight did make it smaller about 1/2"  normally its 1"

Any suggestions?????
Das 60" 65#
Border Blk Douglas 62#
New Border  hex 5 limbs 76#
Habu Death adder 64" 64#
ACS CX 29" at 70#

And a yes a Compound just 1

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tear high cannot get rid of it, dropped nock
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Is it a release issue or is 5 yards too close to check for arrow flight out of a trad bow? A half inch isnt to bad I would say...

TTT for the experts
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
My misses are a release issue      :(     lol

JMO
Bareshaft tuning is the way to go. (Consider this)

Most of us bareshaft tune, and thats a guess on my part. So don't beat me up on it. lol On the other hand.

JMO Its a release issue. I'll stick with bare shaft, and have paper available at will to use.

Brent

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
If you've tried moving the nock up and down and it doesn't make a difference it could be in the release.

You did mention that a 250 gr. tip reduces the tear. You may have an arrow that is simply overspined. I've found that too stiff usually produce down tears and if very stiff they kick up off the rest no matter where the nock is.

One other thing that you might want to try is adjusting the tiller of the bow. You could have a limb timing issue that you might be able to expoit the adjustability of the DAS to tune out. I found with my DAS that and even tiller worked best. The normal positive tiller for a split finger shooter produced a little nock high for myself.

One other thing about paper tuning is that it only shows you what the arrow is doing in flight at the specific distance you shooting at. Move up closer and see if you're not getting a different tear. It may be tearing down up close and at 5 yds. swinging back up. When you've got a bow paper tuned well you should get a clean hole at pretty much any distance... even close up. I've alway been able to get nearly perfect bullet holes off a rest starting at 5-6 ft. Try close up and see if you're getting the same thing.

Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©