3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill bow question  (Read 328 times)

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hill bow question
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
I once owned a HHA Cheetah and loved it but foolishly let it slip away.  I now own a Big 5 and love it.  I've been looking at the Redman model.  Is there any noticeable difference between the bamboo and yew as far as how they draw and shoot?

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill bow question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
IMO Both are very nice for bows. The Wesley special is a very smooth shooting bow, the redman is as well. My vote between the two goes to bamboo for feel and performance, and yew for looks (a great performer as well).  I liked the halfbreed too.  If I were to purchase one it would be the Wesley with a back of a different wood that's not yellow, or a 6th veneer lam because I mainly look to hunting with them (or colored glass).  I've owned many, still the Wesley has been my favorite, and I've shot several Wesley's.  it may just be the tapers, but it's a great shooting bow.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
I'd go Redman all day over the big 5. I'm not a fan of the feel of bamboo upon release.  Boo has a shocky/vibration feel to it in MY hand as opposed to say maple/yew/elm. I'll take any of the latter over boo.  This is only my personal opinion. Bamboo does feel great on the draw but so do the others.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
I say the half breed yew and bamboo, it's like peanut butter and chocolate a great combo.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Well, hate to go contrary to our friend Brianlocal, but I own a Wesley and Redman and have to say if I had to make a choice to keep only one it would be the Wesley hands down. I have also owned a couple of Big Fives, a Tembo, two owls, and the Wesley tops 'em all in my experience. To each his own.  ;)  In fact, if I had to get rid of every longbow I currently own of all makes and models, about 10, I would most likely hang on to the Wesley--that's how much I think of it.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
No, or at least not much.  Too many other factors involved that contribute more overtly than do core woods or grass (as in the case of bamboo)  materials in same profile bows.  Having said this, boo is my preference but not because of significant performance differences.  Foam as a core material may be a different story.

Kris

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
David,
My Wesley special was one of my favorites, go figure!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
Brian, I find myself hankering for a Vixen....and maybe a Dave Johnson.....where does it ever end?  :banghead:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Brian, I find myself hankering for a Vixen....and maybe a Dave Johnson.....where does it ever end?   :banghead:  
I agree, and an echo...

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
It doesn't end - both a blessing and a curse really... Lol
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
It doesn't end that's for sure. I am thankful I got the Vixen hen I did because it fits me so well I haven't looked at others........as often

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
I figured its an addiction.  I've already got a list going.....Miller, Dave Johnson, TD Hill, Shelton, ........

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Ha HA what Fling said! "Like peanut butter and chocolate". Either the Redman or the Halfbreed,,, can't go wrong either way. Yew is great wood. However, if you are use to the smoothness and feel of Boo, go with the Halfbreed, I have one and love it.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline silverarrowhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
Hard to beat hard rock maple cores with yew veneers.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
I have owned both a Big5 and a Redman, one was 61#, the other 55#.  Both nice bows.  The yew feels "tighter" on the draw than the boo, very smooth, but like it has less springiness to it, boo always feels more energetic to me in a bow.  On release the boo feels more snappy, the yew was a bit more supple.  You really can't go wrong with either.  I'm being very subjective here.  I'd go with what catches your eye more frankly.  Both are great shooting bows.  But I have another suggestion...why not forget those Howard Hill bows and get a David Miller!!  Now there is Hill bow heaven.  I just sold mine in a fit of temporary insanity involving wanting to buy my younger brother a Toelke Whip for his birthday, and I'll likely regret losing the Miller but forever smile at doing a nice thing for brother, but I'm sure another Miller will find it's way into my stable someday.  A tempered bamboo old fashioned made David Miller Hill bow is an experience you MUST have at least once in your life if you really get crazy about Hill style bows.  Trust me.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
I pulled the trigger today on a Redman.  We'll see how I like it when it gets here.  

Nine I do plan to place an order for a Miller Old Tom in the next few weeks.  The bow rack still has some room on it.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by wislnwings:
I pulled the trigger today on a Redman.  We'll see how I like it when it gets here.  

Nine I do plan to place an order for a Miller Old Tom in the next few weeks.  The bow rack still has some room on it.
My bow rack has plenty of room, but unfortunately, so does my wallet!   :banghead:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Wis- sounds great.  Craig Ekin builds some nice bows, and the Redman is a looker.  Have fun and give an update when you two have become acquainted!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
I own several Hills, a couple of Wesleys, a couple of Cheetahs, and a Big 5 and really like them all. I have shot the Redman (and want one badly). I have preferred the Wesley, but due to an injury that forced me to hunt with a reduced draw weight, I shot the Cheetah all last season. I have become very fond of it, also. But, all in all, the Wesley is smooth, snappy and just feels a little more right than the others.
Sam

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
I`ve owned and hunted two Cheetah`s a big five a Tembo and a borrowed Wesley. I like the Wesley most of all.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©