3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tire kickers  (Read 738 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tire kickers
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
Well put Rob
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Getting photos up with the ad is the best thing. Once they are there, it's hard for someone who is looking for a bow not to go back and look, even if they might not have asked for photos if you hadn't posted them.

In my case, I've posted photos of bows for others who didn't know how to post them, and ended up buying the bow myself after I had made the post!
Chuck

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by akbowbender:
Getting photos up with the ad is the best thing. Once they are there, it's hard for someone who is looking for a bow not to go back and look, even if they might not have asked for photos if you hadn't posted them.

In my case, I've posted photos of bows for others who didn't know how to post them, and ended up buying the bow myself after I had made the post!
I agree with this statement 100%

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
I have bought and sold herein and elsewhere on a few occassions and personally, I like to view the photos - recent ones if possible and that is usually the deciding factor in whether to deal or not, plus the "vibes" I get from the seller or buyer following a polite response to a request. I find it very respectful to thank the presenter and explain my reason for not buying. If the price is reasonable I look further - if I can't afford or substantiate the cost for a particular bow, then I don't look further. It's give and take and most times a successful conclusion. Yes, it can be frustrating to send photos and get no response. I prefer to include photos with the ad to lessen the frustration.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
I always check the classifieds for bows.  90% of the time, when I don't see a pic in the posting, I back out and look at something else.  

A savvy seller takes advantage of the guy who has no intention of buying,  but wants to look.   After all,  that's how Black Widow ended up with my order for my first-ever longbow.   I had no intention of buying, but there it is, on my bow rack... !
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
I prefer buying a bow looking at pics OF THAT BOW...not the boywers pics.  I want to know what kind of use its been through..damage, etc.   I've bought and sold a few bows over the years and I refuse to budge on this!  

I dont go to a big named car makers webpage to view the car when I'm buying it from a used car lot!  

I've also been hosed on here and other sites!   I want to know the sellers up front and honest.   It hasnt happened in a long time now.  

Its also hard when you get PMs..emails and posts, whose first.  I prefer the emails as I dont view this page much anymore though people have a tendancy to miss that point...or the "I'm out of town for the next 3 weeks".  

If it sells so be it..if I miss something I cant live without so be it, there will be more!   I've met a ton of great people over the years buying and selling and am greatful for it!   Afterall you never know the next guy who emails you to buy your bow might be hooking you up with a moose hunt down the road!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I have bought bows with just a description of the bow via phone call or PM. I can take someones word on what it is. Maybe we all need to have a bit of faith in each other. I also research the bow before hand....but I don't Have to see a photo. Photos may make up my mind quicker but it isn't always necessary.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Vanilla Gorilla:
Easier and quicker just to post pics of of the bow to begin with.  Kinda wish it was a rule.
Yup. I know for me, the classifieds are a way to educate myself on the different types of bows available. I like pictures and it's annoying to see sales threads packed full of "pictures sent to...." Just post photos in the thread and you'll save yourself all that time e-mailing them person by person.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
I have played around here on Tradgang for years getting in and out of Bows to find the ones that are right for me. The ones that have not been good for me have proven to be goto bows for someone in some cases.

Tire Kickers come with selling. If they are kicking your tires you have them in your sales arena.

I agree with posting pics with ad. It either attracts more interest or satisfies the lookers. Unless you know alot about bows and even if you do, a picture can tell you alot about a bow. Many people that know how to post pics sometimes volunteer  with their "phone/email to photobucket to TG" expertise and will post for you. That is the kind of team spirit I am talking about!!  Most people here in classifieds are trying to get in and out of bows/equip to find the right stuff.

The problem I have on any site is when pictures are asked for, that when they are sent there is absolutely NO follow up like, Thank you, not what I was looking for, is that your best price, I need close ups of grip ETC. It leaves ya wondering with no input like if your price is to high, or what exactly would take to get bow in someones hands. They were interested RIGHT?

Since I have been trading, selling, and buying here for years I have seen quite a downturn of bows being traded/sold/bought. This venue is a great place to try out used bows whether they are the "exact" bow or not that you were looking for. A good example of that is guys that say if it was 2-3 pounds lighter or heavier I would get it. REALLY?? maybe if you have a physical condition,, but I will not be convinced that a persons physical capabilities are so limited as not to pull a little extra weight or shoot a lighter bow to try it to see if that is something that would work. Buying used you usually come close to getting your money back. You may have to pay some shipping.  Then you can look or order exactly what you want from a Bowyer. Paying full price for something that exactly fits you is priceless!

My advice to "Tirekickers" is to not be so lazy as to not return input, especially after asking for pics. Also do not be so lazy or scared as not to try something close to what you think you would like. I have been pleasantly surprised by a bow and it's performance by trying lots of different bows.

As far as Offers if they are reasonable I take them. If not, I am not astounded by someone trying to get something cheap. Americans have been buying from China and overseas markets since the 1970's and have come to expect it. I see some common ground in between an asking price and an offer. In most cases meeting half way eliminates the sellers and buyers price issues.

Now when it come to buying custom bows and knives etc here on this site or anywhere else is the realization that most of the Bowyers and Knive makers are working in the USA and dealing with the higher costs involved vice some worker in another country making 50 cents a day and corporare America reaping the profits via CEO pay. So expect to pay a little more for their(Bowyers and Knive makers) services.

Support the classifieds and sponsors here and be respectful of their efforts.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
I've sold several bows here in the classifieds. I always post pictures.
1. 'A picture is worth a thousand words'. I figure they can't hurt, and it lets the buyer see exactly what I have for sale.
2. Yep, there are lots of tire kickers out there; but it goes with the territory. It is hard for me to believe that every inquiry will result in a sale.
3. Lower offers do not offend me; after all, it is me that makes the decision whether to lower the selling price. If I don't like the offer, I can always decline.
4. The first offer that is acceptable gets the bow. I have had offers as close as 30 minutes apart. The quicker you edit the post to SPF the better.
Ken Thornhill

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
Personally,  I can't figure out why someone would even THINK of posting something for sale and not post pix.  I for one won't even consider it unless I can see it.  What are we all thinking here ?

ChuckC

Offline Warren Cowen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
That's right Chuck. And if I am buying a used bow for $200 to $800. I want to see it.
Warren Cowen

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
I post a couple, but don't have a good camera or plan to buy one - just not a picture guy. I do offer to take it back with a full refund if it is not as I describe. If that is not good enough for a potential buyer, I'll just wait for one who accepts that.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dale in Pa:
I've bought,sold and traded a lot of bows over the years.When I list a bow for sale I try and describe it honestly and will e-mail pics to anyone interested.

What gets me is the number of people asking for pics that have no intention of buying.I send pics and either get no reply,or get a message saying that the bow looks really nice,period.

If the bow looks good and they make no offer I can only assume they are only window shopping.In many cases,they can get better pics off of the bowyers website.What say you sellers,do you all have similar experiences?
Dale, I get annoyed with this too, but in the end, there is no way to prevent/police it except to put pictures in the ad right from the get go..I have found that if there are at least one or two GOOD pictures in the ad, then the odds that a PM or email will come in with a good faith offer or request to purchase.  BELIEVE me when I say that its probably the best here on our site.  Its way worse over on AT, where not only do you get lots more window shoppers, but LOTS more ridiculous lowball offers...dont' get me wrong we're all guilty of a little hard haggling now and then, and it can be fun going tit for tat...I'm not talking $375 as an early offer on a $500 priced bow, that's still about within reason, I'm talking like $200 for a $400 dollar bow, or even worse!  TG is definitely the classiest/most honorable seeming classifieds among the bow sites, followed perhaps by TTalk.  I mean sometimes people, even me, need to see a good bunch of pics to really be pushed over the edge to plunk down the cash, but like you said, it would help if people just looked on bowyer websites for a preview and REALLY think about if they even want a particular make/model before bothering the seller..I know the email/photobucket/pic process can be tedious.  

In the end it is what it is.  The best advice is not to indulge the same person more than once or twice max.  It has happened to me more than once, and I have an eye for the screennames that tend to ask for pics with no return, not even a haggle.  Good luck and definitely consider that including pics right from the beginning will help weed out the window shoppers early on.  
-Chuck

Oh and PS on all of the following by Kat:

"I've sold several bows here in the classifieds. I always post pictures.
1. 'A picture is worth a thousand words'. I figure they can't hurt, and it lets the buyer see exactly what I have for sale.
2. Yep, there are lots of tire kickers out there; but it goes with the territory. It is hard for me to believe that every inquiry will result in a sale.
3. Lower offers do not offend me; after all, it is me that makes the decision whether to lower the selling price. If I don't like the offer, I can always decline.
4. The first offer that is acceptable gets the bow. I have had offers as close as 30 minutes apart. The quicker you edit the post to SPF the better.
"

Double PS:

HUGE +1 on what Kimba (Lonewolf73) said!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Excuse please. . .  "bothering the seller" ?

huh

ChuckC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by LoneWolf73:
The problem I have on this site is when pictures are asked for, that when they are sent there is absolutely NO follow up like, Thank you, not what I was looking for, is that your best price, I need close ups of grip ETC. It leaves ya wondering with no input like if your price is to high, or what exactly would take to get bow in someones hands. They were interested RIGHT?
i take exception to your above statement.  why is this matter (ad images and follow ups) a "problem with this site"?  you don't find this a problem with "other sites"?  this is just a trad gang issue that you see?

in any event, the trad gang classifieds is NOT the focal point of trad gang.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

Originally posted by LoneWolf73:
The problem I have on this site is when pictures are asked for, that when they are sent there is absolutely NO follow up like, Thank you, not what I was looking for, is that your best price, I need close ups of grip ETC. It leaves ya wondering with no input like if your price is to high, or what exactly would take to get bow in someones hands. They were interested RIGHT?
i take exception to your above statement.  why is this matter (ad images and follow ups) a "problem with this site"?  you don't find this a problem with "other sites"?  this is just a trad gang issue that you see?

in any event, the trad gang classifieds is NOT the focal point of trad gang. [/b]
Rob, I don't think Kimba is aiming an attack at Tradgang directly, as in "i have a PROBLEM with Tradgang", he seems as faithful a TGer as any.  And you are right, shopping bows is not the main idea here, just an ADJUNCT.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
As Rob said, The Trad Gang classifieds is NOT the focal point of Tad Gang........."EXACTLY", The classifieds are just an added benefit to all the knowledge and bowhunting history that can be viewed here!   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
As a retired career salesman I like to haggle on items from individual sellers and I don't mind a bit when others haggle with me or make me lowball offers. It's basically a game anyway. How much does it kill you when someone offers you $200 on your $400 bow to politely say "No, but I'll take $375" and either continue to haggle or walk away from this buyer?

As far as posting pictures I find it just good salesmanship and presentation. That little step to lure the buyers to your post.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
From the buyer's stand point, sometimes the buyer is comparing bowyers and their bows. They may like your bows, but have chosen another bowyer's bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©