3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ladies bow suggestions?  (Read 437 times)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Ladies bow suggestions?
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
My wife has recently gotten the archery bug. She is on the fence as to whether or not she wants a compound or recurve(her brother shoots a compound)   "[dntthnk]"  So far I have found the Bodnik Kiowa recurve to my liking or possibly the bear supermag. She is a touch over 5ft but quite strong. Anyhow I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for short long bows and recurves?
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ladies bow suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
For a 'cheap' bow that shoots halfway decent for a lady newb with options to upgrade limb weights later for cheap to a max of 35#, October Mountain Products (OMP) makes a nice little takedown recurve I think called the Explorer or some such, that's around $95-110.  I got one for my wife who's 5'3", the bow is 24#@24" and 58", she draws around 26" and good for a couple # more, and I've pulled it and I'm pretty convinced the limbs pull 1#/ inch...I can easily pull it to 28-29" with no stack and it feels about that weight in pounds, which is hilarious and makes it very smooth and easy to shoot.  I'm pretty sure they just make a couple sets of limbs and just relabel them for whatever draw length.  Her's is 58" but they make em up to 62" I believe.  Good little bow for cheap.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Wow that Kanati is incredible! I would like to have that for myself  but it will never happen as I just bought a new bow     :banghead:  I will definitely check out OMP. Thanks guys!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:18:00 AM »
Here in The Netherlands, lots of smaller woman shoot the Mingo from Bodnik. Yet it is small, low in weight and suitable for shorter drawlengths, this little bow performs amazingly well and is real fast!  
Here is more info:  http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Mingo-Recurve/productinfo/4709/
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
If possible try and find away to test a few. use the test drive programs most bowyers offer. Find what is right and comfortable for her if she is not comfortable with it and successful she will not enjoy shooting and will quit. my .02 worth
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
I would start he off with an ILF system the limbs are inexpensive and the riser stays the same . That way you can change limbs as she needs.
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
I agree with the St Joe, Test a a bow if possible! I was lucky I got my wife (a new shooter) a real nice Bear Tigercat 62in 35@28 that she is shooting! Plan on a custom at some point, make sure the #age is right to develop good form.
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Awesome thanks for the advice!
>>>----------------->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
Victory- I stand corrected- my wife's OMP Explorer '2.0' is 54" and the limb weights go up in even increments to 36# in the 54" version.  One site had em for 115 but I've seen em cheaper.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
My wife loves her 25# Martin Stick.  She really likes the grip and the fact its "like a Howard Hill bow".   :)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
One of my favorite short recurves is a Bear Kodiak Magnum. They made a "Lady Kodiak" for a while in lighter weights measured at 26". I have a 25 pounder for rehabbing my shoulder and form work.

This is the season for going to shoots and trying new and used bows. She will find one she likes.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
i have a skb horse bow 48" and 50# @28  they are awesome to shoot nice and light to carry and i can shoot it all day without getting tired you can get em in any poundage ya like and boy can they spit an arrow out.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
I went the other way and just ordered her a custom from St. Joe. I thought about getting her something she could beat around like an OMP, but I kept thinking that if I really wanted her involved with something that is such a big part of my life...I should spend as much on her as I would myself.

I buy bows every year. I can buy her ONE really good one.

Plus my daughter has the same exact bow and I thought it would be neat for the two of them to match.

That is how it worked out for me. Not saying it will work out for you the same or that it is what you should do. I'm just giving you another side.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
well if money is no object, I'd suggest a Dryad ACS RC, that way at her shorter draw length she will have more oomph, with the right riser limb length combo, you can get a dryad down to quite a short bow and man are they smooth and fast!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
I did the same as LimbLover.  Bought my wife a bow from the same bowyer that makes mine.  I figured she would enjoy archery more with a nice custom than with a cheap intro level bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©