3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barronett Big Mike owners  (Read 276 times)

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
Barronett Big Mike owners
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
I am looking at a Big Mike and would like to hear from owners what they think of this blind.

Tom
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barronett Big Mike owners
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I just got one with snake eyes windows, and so far I like it a lot.  Hunted in it Friday and Saturday and almost got a turkey Saturday about noon.  Very close call.  Nice bag and sets up easy.  Not sure I could shoot a really long bow standing, but could shoot a 60” or so bow standing and quite a long one setting.  I am still getting the feel of the clearances so maybe there is more room than I think.  

Lots of window options.  It has a lot of ways to zip and hook the windows to create different openings.  

The windows would definitely be too low for bow hunting for me in my chair if it wasn’t for the snake eyes windows.  I use a 5 gal bucket or my XL Double Bull chair.  I need a taller chair to make things perfect. Not sure what that will be yet.  

One of the lower blinds would give better window height at the hub areas.  The hub limits the height of the bottom of the windows in the X so the taller the blind the taller the bottom of those openings.  But, I love the extra height so I can stand up and shoot plus stand up for a break from setting and not have to hunch over or duck down to  stand.  I have some back and leg issues so like to take standing breaks a lot. Can’t have it all, but a taller seat should really get me set up well.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
just got one, lots of room, easy set up, windows are set very good. mine has two low windows on each side
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Online AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Tom,

My first and only blind is a Big Mike and I have had plenty of room hunting/shooting with my 68" longbows while sitting in a Huntmore 360 chair.  Be sure you get the newer model that has the "snake eyes" since the lower windows allow you to engage very close targets when seated.  My intent with the blind was for seated hunting/shooting and therefore I've never attempted standing shots.  

As noted the carry bag is nice and does its job well.  Set up is easy and while take down/fold up is more engaging I have learned if I leave the "back door" unzipped it goes much easier.  Overall it would be hard to find a more longbow-friendly blind.  That being said, if I shot shorter bows I would have gone with a Hidden Hunter blind since it is made in the USA but in speaking with them they assured me a 68" was too much for their blinds.
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
I think the Big Mike blind is top notch.  Very well made, and the windows are positioned perfectly for seated shooting.  I also have the 350 Blood Trail and like that one also.  The only problem with the 350 is that the windows are a tad high, but I use a "bar stool" with it and it eliminates that problem.  You can use any seat you have with the Big Mike blind.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with this blind.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
Got one and love it.  It fits my kids and my longbow  with room to spare.  Hard to beat for the money.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
I read they have new versions with heavier fabric and new camo pattern. I could see get another for next year or even this fall.  This is great for taking the kids out now that they are getting ready to go hunting. Plenty of room for two people and some gear.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by AlanF:
Tom,

My first and only blind is a Big Mike and I have had plenty of room hunting/shooting with my 68" longbows while sitting in a Huntmore 360 chair.  Be sure you get the newer model that has the "snake eyes" since the lower windows allow you to engage very close targets when seated.  My intent with the blind was for seated hunting/shooting and therefore I've never attempted standing shots.  

As noted the carry bag is nice and does its job well.  Set up is easy and while take down/fold up is more engaging I have learned if I leave the "back door" unzipped it goes much easier.  Overall it would be hard to find a more longbow-friendly blind.  That being said, if I shot shorter bows I would have gone with a Hidden Hunter blind since it is made in the USA but in speaking with them they assured me a 68" was too much for their blinds.
Same here on every point. (LOL! I let some choice words go the 1st couple times I tried to fold it up until I figiured out to leave it unzipped!)   :D

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the help. Big Mike for me.
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
I have been using Doublebull Dark Horse recurve model for the last 4 years, week and half ago we had a 10" wet snow storm in northern Iowa I left my Doublebull out and it got busted up from the wet snow so my son has a Barronett Big Mike 275 model that he had bought over at Mills Fleet farm store in Mason City IA on sale for $120.00 I used it last friday the windows in that model are low enough to use my stool anyway I Texas heart shot a tom at 10yds with Black Widow bow 24 1/2# 10 beard 1 3/8" spurs anyway would post a picture never been able to figure out how do it on this site, but back to blind I`am going to sell the Double Bull next spring get a Barronett the blinds are awsome, and one other thing being 72 I love those 10 yd shots hope I`am still here next year!!!
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
Way to go John!  I don't know how to post pictures here either but maybe someone will chime in and do it for you.  I bought my Big Mike blind also at Mills Fleet Farm in Mason City for the same price.  I went back a few days later to buy one for my son Jay but the sale price was over.  Bought one anyway.....they're great blinds!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©