3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: EFA New Products and St. Jude  (Read 433 times)

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
EFA New Products and St. Jude
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Although bow quivers are our main products, we try to venture into other areas when the opportunity presents itself. Recently one of the regular shooter here at the shop started bringing in some pretty creative design ideas that got us interested in revisiting such items as side quivers, back quivers, pocket quivers, and armguards. Working with this creative person we are making several new items that will eventually be offered on the website. For now I'd like to post some photos and maybe get your opinions. One of the armguards and one side quiver are now listed on the St. Jude Auction site.

The spots on the quiver are water spots. It started to rain about the time I started photographing.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: EFA New Products and St. Jude
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
Having trouble going from Photobucket to Tradgang so will just add photos one at a time. Here is an armguard made last week. It's being auctioned on St. Jude along with the side quiver.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Very nice Don!

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
I've been working with leather for about 4 months.

I won't speak to the aesthetics of either piece because my style is very different and everyone likes different things. But I will speak about what I know to make a better, stronger, longer lasting product.

If they aren't already, all edges should be beveled, slicked & coated with edge coat. This seals up the edges, keeps out moisture and is a nice professional finishing touch.

On any products with stitches I would use a stitching groover to get the stitching below surface level. The stitching will last longer.

Videos for a lot of techniques and products are easy to find on youtube by Tandy.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
juneaulongbow, I agree with what you said about processing the edges, it makes for a better product. Edge coat and lignum vitae make for a nice edge.

As for using a stitching groover, I believe that depends on the usage. On some stitches it's not practical to use a groover. We do use a tough rugged thread that does not show wear so easily in those uses.

What I was looking for is some commentary on the style and creativity of these products. I'll post another photo of another quiver. We would welcome your comments.

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
I'll try to be gentle   ;)   ...As far as style and creativity goes these look just like a lot of stuff out there. Cut some leather, sew it together. Guys love the deer antler buttons and snakeskin. Nothing new. But it sells & it does the job & it holds up well in hunting conditions.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
juneaulongbow, you are a hard critic. What do you mean "Nothing new," and "these look just like a lot of stuff out there"? I suspect that after 4 months of Tandy training you have carved your first piece of leather and now want to look down on the other methods of leather enhancement. Oh, and that's not a deer antler button. Now, have a good day. LOL

:jumper:

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
After more than 45 years in mostly textile design and product developement I have come to the conclusion that opinions and preferences may vary widely. My personal expectation is that an archery product should be convenient, durable, perform well, and reasonable in price. Once that criteria is met, then creativity and style are considered. There are lots of good products in traditional archery that meet some of these perameters but not all. Although I don't necessarily agree with someone else's taste, I will refraim from disparaging their products on this site.

Now, back to the original intention, what do you think of the products shown, and would you consider adding them to your inventory of traditional equipment? Keep in mind that the armguard and side quiver are listed with the St. Judes Auction.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Wow! I'm an artist by profession and they look great to me. I know they are top quality because of the company and craftsman making/carrying them.

Very nice gesture Don(donating to the auction). I'll be bidding on one or both.

Offline ncheels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
I've seen the side quivers up close.  They are fantastic looking.  I love the style, compared to my nylon side quiver.  I look forward to getting one.
    I think the arm guard looks great.  I'm not a fan of a lot of tooling.  The snake skin diamond is a really nice touch and just the right amount IMO.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men
do nothing."

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Looks good Don!
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
I think they look good, especially the arm guard
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Thanks guys for your nice comments. I have always enjoyed looking at other people's creative endeavers. The lady who made these quivers has a lot of talent, and learned to work with leather from her dad, who was a leather craftsman as well. I made the armguard but I borrowed the diamond snakeskin design that she was using. It's been fun putting these two items together for St. Jude's kids. Now it's time for you to come up with a good bid. Thanks in advance for your participation.

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
Haha well if you want to sell an old fashioned tab and quiver as well write back to my email! It was trying to charger zero $ postage to Australia and somehow I don't think that's the cost. Love that pouch by the way, looks very flash indeed.

Ps I think the inlay on the quiver looks great. If you're building something Iike that you're working with a design that's been around for well over 2000 years, there isn't going to be some new and unseen explosive innovation. It's simple stylish, isnt that what most people want?

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
I'll be bidding on it. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at. Don't care.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
Safari Scott, Shipping a 1# package to Australia would be $17.00 for USPS First Class and $40.00 for Priority mail. That weight is based on a side quiver and tab.

Tim, we have had a number of people ask about the deer track quiver that we did together a few years ago. Maybe that would be a good project for St. Jude some day?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©