3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Inserts in Riser, why do bowyers don't like that??  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
Inserts in Riser, why do bowyers don't like that??
« on: May 13, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
It is my experience that not many bowyers like to install threaded inserts in a riser for bowquivers, like a Thunderhorn.
Some express that their in there pricing, I see it varying between US $ 10,- (like Ken from Whippenstick who has no problems with installing them at all) and US $100,- (I will mention no name here, but found out that that bowyer (who has an outstanding reputation and makes outstanding bows) is not particulary fond of installing them so I consider that pricing as "a Japanese No") Some bowyers take it one level furhter and just say they don't do that (I know one which also has an outstanding rep and makes outstanding bows)
To me it looks rather easy to install: drill two holes and glue those suckers in...

What would be the reason for being not happy as a bowyer with installing inserts in a riser. Bowyers, feel free to react!

Personally I love bolt-on quivers and I don't like the rubber straps. So for me inserts are important to have on a bow.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Inserts in Riser, why do bowyers don't like that??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Likely a concern they will weaken the riser and increase warranty issues.

I have no problem with them myself and drilled a mid 70's Super Grizzly back when I was 16 (in 1981) and the Kwikee Kwiver still serves me well. I prefer them over straps too, but some bows are just too delicate for them. and just plain don't need them.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
I understand it when you have a very lean riser,like on most longbows but on the bulky risers from ie 3 pce recurves I don't understand.

I don't like bowquivers on longbows anway. I only like bowquivers on heavy mass bows and then I want to see some inserts  :)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
We install them on the top and bottom of the riser but won't do them on the outside of the sight window.  Not enough material there to feel comfortable with.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
But if a bowyer doesn't want and you have a three pce design, I guess you can always use the Thunderhorn 'Two-Point' Takedown quiver, designed for recurves and longbows using a standard limb bolt attachment system.
I believe you can order the parts seperately needed for that. I did that when I moved over from straps to bolts, great service from Thunderhorn! I also like their bowstringer a LOT!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
Ad, I think I know the $100.00 bowyer and I have one his Statics   :D  I actually just saw that yesterday as I looked at all the options and cost if I ever ordered a new one and saw that $100.00 cost for inserts to be added..  :eek:

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I think we are talking about the same guy. Not a bad word about him, but really, US 100,- ??????
So how does your static shoot?  :)
Which "number "on the price list you have??? (the upper one is number one)
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Ad,
 My static shoots great and I'm o.k. with it not having the inserts in it but with the correct bit,epoxy and inserts it is a simple process but with all the available styles of quivers out there I like it without the inserts...Maybe he just accidently typed in one to many 0'S and ment to read $10.00 and not $100.00  :dunno:  
 The one I have is pretty new and I would only trade it for a Newer one all Ziricote with Olive Ash limbs over bamboo and in a mid 40's weight range  :D

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
I have no problem at all doing them. Actually I do quite a few. I do charge 40.00 and feel that is reasonable just to stock the parts and take the time to do the work. I believe its more work to finish the riser and that is probably why the bowyers do not like doing them.  I also do not set them in the riser window area. One on each end .

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
How much do you make an hour. I bet to do them right it takes quite a bit of time and the finish work involved. I say bowyers time is worth quite a bit $35-40 an hour and to do them perfect $75 would seem ok to me. I was once told by a very reputable bowyer that total build time on a custom bow is 20hrs.(No pierce points or anything elaborate)so $1000 bow is only $50 an hr. and that does not count woods and tools and materials. I say if ya want them that bad, do them yourself or do not complain what bowyers charge and if it looks so easy, do them yourself, Sorry but the question irks me and I am not a bowyer!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
I have a drill bit with a stop I made myself and put on with set screws. Takes 2 minutes to drill 2 holes, and 10  minutes if you take your time, to mix epoxy and put them in. If any epoxy gets in the threads, just chase it with a tap! No big deal, probaly have done close to a 100 since the 1970's, bears, pearsons, samicks, never known of one failing yet!
samuel koger

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
With a drill press, it's not terribly difficult to install them.  However, IMO there aren't many high quality insert bushings available.  Those that Bighorn used to install back when G. Fred owned the company were the best, but they're not available anymore.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
Koger, do that to a $1000 bow and think about the customer and even if yaonly made one mistake in a thousand, that would cost ya dearly. We are not talking $100 yard sale bows. Shawn
Shawn

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Well I'll go out on a limb here and say I love quiver inserts on a one piece bow. Use them on every one piece I make. I think it's the  absolute best way to use a bow quiver on a one piece bow. Now if it's a TD just use the limb bolt mounts. I seriously doubt anyone would ever use a slip over the side strap on quiver that has a DETERMINED space it can fit IF they traced the outline of their bow on a piece of paper both strung and unstrung and see how much the bow bends in the fadeout area. Just saying.

Now for cost. I think it cost $4.95 for a set. A drill bit with a depth collar, dab in some smooth on INSIDE the threads, screw it in and your done. Drop a couple drops of CA in the bottom of the drilled hole to seal the bottom. Might have 10 minutes in it. BUT NOW I have a great way to screw in a bow holder to apply spray finish from top to bottom. Just easier for me and makes sense. Your mileage may vary.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Each bowyer has earned the right to charge what they feel is appropriate to the work requested.  While some buyer/owners may view the charge they have being excessive, then the owner always has the option to look elsewhere.  I am not a bowyer, but who better understands what is the proper way to install a foreign object into their design and what affects that object may have on the shot or integrity of the structure?

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
Kind of laughing about a 20 hour custom bow. I spend nearly that much time in shaping,sanding and finishing a bow.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
I am with Sixby on this one.I spend 20 hours after the blank is out of the form and trued up. And thats just a one piece longbow with nice overlays.  :knothead:   Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
I personally don't like them. I think it takes away from the look of the bow.

Its probably one of the best ways to attach a quiver to a bow but I would rather use a strap on.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Amicus. I would much rather use a side quiver. Lakota style or a back quiver than put anything on the limb of a bow. That just goes completely against my grain. Longer bolts and a top mount quiver is the way to go with a takedown. If it is a recurve I see absolutely no problem with nicely done quiver inserts and it is no harm done to the bow IMHO.
God bless you all, steve

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
It is no secret I don't like quivers on my longbows. They just dont feel right on those bows. Here I prefer back- or sidequivers also.
However, a 3 pce recurve with some mass and a Small Fry Sidewinder from Tunderhorn bolted into the quiver inserts, is a real joy to shoot!
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©