3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Tick Concern, Must Read  (Read 636 times)

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
New Tick Concern, Must Read
« on: May 13, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
I wanted to warn all to be on the watch for ticks, I know you should for Lyme disease any way, but there is a new syndrome call Alpha Gal. It is passes threw ticks, and it causes food allergies to meat. A friend has it and he can no longer eat any red meat or pig, the only meats he can now eat are fowl and seafood. This is a serious concern for hunters and outdoors men to be on the watch for. Here is a lick to give you more information about the syndrome.  http://earthsky.org/human-world/ticks-cause-meat-allergies-really
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Tick Concern, Must Read
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
A local game warden was infected with this.  It took a while for the Doctors to determine what the problem was.

Hate those blood suckers    :mad:   !
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Ticks are crazy bad out my way, so far this year.

Tom

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
I have a mark on my leg from last August that still hasn't completely healed. Small deer tick was the culprit. Already pulled two off ths year that were attached.

I HATE them, and chiggers!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
This can cause any allergic reaction strong enough to kill you. Any you would not be able to eat the deer, and pig that we so love to hunt.
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
I got chiggers on my first hunt of the season last year hunting in a swamp hammock so bad I wanted to die.  Never again!  I seriously almost lost my mind it itched so bad.  I fear chiggers worse than ticks now.  Always shower thoroughly after the woods and scrub scrub scrub!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
I got lyme disease last year.  Its no fun at all.  I can't imagine not being able to eat red meat.  I can't stand freaking ticks and chiggers.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
that would really really suck! Does anybody think ticks are worse now than say 35 or 40 years ago, I used to stay the summers in Kansas with my grandparents and cousins, I only remember getting ticks on me twice and was in the fields from dusk to dawn, now when I go back there turkey hunting, I will get a couple a day  or more if I don't treat with repellentt of some kind,
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
Here in Pa where I live there were no ticks around when I grew up (50 yrs ago) Now they're everywhere.

I see the same thing happening upstate. There were never any ticks in Potter Co,now we are starting to find a few. I think they're slowly spreading north.

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
A good friend of mine came down with something like this a couple years ago,I'm not sure he knows how this came about,but I'm going to pass it on...Thanks
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
what was Noah  thinking when he let ticks on the ark? (and snakes and mosquitoes)
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
If you dont already you need to start using Sawyer tick spray. Me and my gf used it this weekend never found a tick on us. My brother did not use it and had about 20 on him.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
I like Permanone (permethrin) but it is harder to find than it used to be.  Is that what is in the Sawyer's?
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Ticks are really bad in parts of Michigan already.

USMC 0311, where do you buy Sawyer tick spray.  can't say I have ever seen it around.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Another danged disease from those pests!

I've said it before on here... but just to remind all, I had a tick give me blood poisoning a few years back.  It almost killed me...literally.

You can buy Permetrin at any farm supply store and online.  Some makes are petroleum based and some are nearly scent free... and virtually scent free when dry.  They are a plant based formula that is supposed to be harmless to humans.  It will kill a cat when wet (hint, hint ;-)
It is a WHOLE LOT cheaper buying in bulk and mixing it.  You want the 10% and then mix with water... I can't remember the ratio, but it can be found online.
Permethrin is the same ingredient used in flea dips, cattle rub bags, and the SPOT that we put on our dog,s backs to prevent tick and flea infestations.  For about $25.00 you can mix something like 15 gallons!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Wally world carries Sawyer....

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Oh, if you have any concerns about health hazards, the military has us completely soak our uniforms in it before going to Afghanistan/Iraq.  Once dry, it lasts about six months through clothes washings and all.  That is when you completely saturate the clothes.  ( That's if you trust what Unc Sam does to us, LOL)
Just spraying it on the clothes with a good coverage will last several washings and remain active for a couple of weeks.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
I have had several of them on me this year in Indiana , they seem to get worse every year. I can't stand chiggers either they will almost make you go crazy!
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline wvtradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
This is the real deal,I sent that post to my buddy and he confirmed,thats how he got it,he's been doing extensive research on it and with him it started with a tick bite that just wouldn't heal and now it's to the point that he can't even handle raw meat,that means dragging deer and all and he can touch his pointer with his hands but if he brushes his arm or leg he gets an immediate rash,here's another article.  http://alpha-gal.org/basics/
"I strive for mediocrity and sometimes achieve it." a close friend

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
I am glad we don't have lone star ticks, yet.  Lyme is enough of a worry.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©