3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Tick Concern, Must Read  (Read 635 times)

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Tick Concern, Must Read
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
wow, that is an interesting article. i'm definitely going to be more conscious of it this year. knee high rubber boots is the norm for me, but i got chiggers recently at a 3-D shoot, and those things take WEEKS to heal! hate 'em.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
yall better come live down here we dont have  chiggers but i do know what they are like man they make ya itch like hell
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Something that has changed from years ago is that nobody ever burns off their woods or fields like was done years ago. I would think this would really keep ticks in check that way.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I'll bet those things that you all are calling "chiggers" are really "seed ticks" which are also referred to as "turkey mites". They are very, very tiny but you can see them with the naked eye(barely) and they burrow up under the skin. If you see them on you after an outing, rub alcohol on your skin to kill them before they start burrowing or you will be very, very sorry you didn't!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
I got diagnois last August after 1 1/2 years of getting hives & having my through close up.   The Lone Star meat allergy was identified on late June/ early July 2012. I carry an epi-pen Juat in case.  A little bacon once in a while doesn't hurt though.

I use Hi-yield 38 permethrin.  I works great. I soak all my hunting clothes in it & let them air dry. Did get bit last year.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by manitou1:
Another danged disease from those pests!

I've said it before on here... but just to remind all, I had a tick give me blood poisoning a few years back.  It almost killed me...literally.

You can buy Permetrin at any farm supply store and online.  Some makes are petroleum based and some are nearly scent free... and virtually scent free when dry.  They are a plant based formula that is supposed to be harmless to humans.  It will kill a cat when wet (hint, hint ;-)
It is a WHOLE LOT cheaper buying in bulk and mixing it.  You want the 10% and then mix with water... I can't remember the ratio, but it can be found online.
Permethrin is the same ingredient used in flea dips, cattle rub bags, and the SPOT that we put on our dog,s backs to prevent tick and flea infestations.  For about $25.00 you can mix something like 15 gallons!
What do you mean Kill a cat when wet,,hint hint? Whats that mean?

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
I'd just about have to burn the house, there are a few in the hedges and shrubs. I get them on me just mowing the yard.  Considerably worse in the woods though.

I have my turkey clothes treated with Permetrin and it doesn't keep them off the clothes, although they don't crawl as much, eventually falling off.

How long does a untreated tick live in the house?  The wife is going to lock me and the dog out!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
Scattergun... it has warnings since this product can be used to kill bugs/fleas, etc. inside a household.  If you spray the carpets, etc. you want to remove house cats until dried. For some reason, even though it is harmless to dogs it can be fatal to kitty cats.  They have warnigs on the label/brochures.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
CHeneryIV, the guy I know that has it, has it so bad that he can no longer eat out because if what he is eating has come in contact with red meat, it will cause a sever allergic reaction.
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©