3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tools for sewing leather  (Read 225 times)

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
Tools for sewing leather
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I am giving up on finding a tab that is exactly what I want.  I have a sheet of cordovan and some backing; I just need to make my own.

I would like to be able to cut a hole that is round and sized for me, and sew the front leather to a felt back.  I believe I need a sewing awl, a stitch hole marker, a stith groove maker, and the appropriate thread.

Can somebody tell me where to the best place is to get this stuff?  Also, is there junk vs quality, and if so what is good.

Thanks for any help.

Cato
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tools for sewing leather
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
hey buddy all you need is a saddle making needle and something to make a hole you do not need a stich hole marker or a sewing awl or stich groove maker these things are not needed unless ya don't mind wasting money. i make quivers tabs using the above and have no problem. easy as pie   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
If you do wind up buying tools, Osborne tools are the best. Google them.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
tandy
all that is nice and will give a finished product.  I started with a knife, scissors, ruler carpet thread and a glovers needle.  Cut a few samples out of paper to get close.  Then take a piece of cardboard the proximate thickness and make a prototype.  Trim it up and when it feels right cut it out of leather-LARGER, so you can make final trim to fit eh situation.

You have just entered in a whole new aspect of archery-leather is addicting and you are in for many evenings of fun.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
If you're planning on doing a bit of leather work, then my all means buy the right tools - they'll make the job easier.

I don't do enough of it to justify the expense, so what I use is:

1) a snap-blade knife for cutting the leather;

2) a ruler to measure the spacing of the stitches;

3) a cordless drill with a small bit to make the holes for the stitches;

4) any old needle that has an eye big enough for the thread.

Basically the stuff I've got lying around the house. Does a job that's good enough for me.
Alan

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
You can do just about anything with a stitch marker, some kind of awl to punch holes, two blunt nosed needles, and thread.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline Cato

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Very helpful responses.  Thank you to all you guys.  You have saved me some money and given me direction.  All I am really interested in right now is doing the stitching to hold the tab together so some of my original thoughts were definitely overkill.
Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I just made my first back quiver and can tell you that the proper tools do make a difference in the end product and much easier to complete the project.That being said, they are not absolutely needed.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Tandy has the thread and needles you need. There might be a store near you. You might want an awl for making the holes. If you have a Dremal tool with a small drill bit that works also. I just finished up a pocket quiver with pouch using the drill to make the holes.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
A finish nail and small hammer make nice holes for the needle and sinew makes a strong threading.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
I remodel a lot of offices here and my carpet vendor uses almost no thread anymore.  Stop  by a carpet place and see if you can beg a partial spool of carpet thread.  Mine is tan and blends in nicely with most of my leather scraps.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©