3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2014 Hill Gang Hog Hunt  (Read 3858 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Hill Gang Hog Hunt
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Dang I must have misread the WMA permit requirement last year.

That would be good news.  $20 vs. $93 is a huge savings!

It is looking like I will finish in Roanoke at about 4pm Thursday Brandon.  Will head toward GA after that.  MapQuest says 8 1/2 hr trip.  I'll probably get a room overnight and try to pull in Friday morning, set camp and hunt Friday afternoon.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
I think they told you wrong about the wma permit.I would call and get a second answer with a name and number .
   The big lake has been closed to rebuild a leaking dam. The small pond has a few fish but gets fished a lot. RC

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I remember (after I bought mine) someone called and got that answer too last year.  Reading more carefully, I also remember thinking they may have been correct about the wma permit if you weren't hunting deer season.  Worth a closer look, but it was too late for me and I dropped it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
i would be really sure and talk with a wildlife officer...most places you need a WMA anytime you are on WMA land whether hunting or not.  Permit is for access to the land...

Better safe than sorry...or get name and badge number of who told you it was not needed just in case...or get it in writing by email.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
I called them twice last year before huning. They advised that a 3 day "Apprentice" licence was the best option. I called the second time to confirm and they specifically said that's all you need to hnt the WMA from out of state - and also said I could buy another 3 day licence if I chose to stay on after the first one lapsed. $20.00 all in I believe.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
From the Georgia reg's

Apprentice License
Offers potential hunters (16 years of age and older) an opportunity to hunt for 3 days without completing a hunter education course.  Also includes saltwater and general freshwater fishing privileges on WMAs and PFAs.  A big game license must also be purchased to hunt deer, turkey or bear, and a trout license must also be purchased to fish for mountain trout.

NOTE  this says  FISHING privileges, not hunting.

RESIDENT
3-day Resident Hunting & Fishing Combo License - $3.50 (3-day combo includes general hunting and fishing, and fishing privileges on WMAs and PFAs)

This part SAYS resident, however the price chart shows a non-resident has the same license available for $20.  It also says " and fishing priviliges" .

We really could use a professional opinion (from the local warden that would enforce it there maybe ?) for doing it right.

ChuckC

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Going to check with our office in area we hunt to make sure they understand same interpretation before someone finds out hard way...thanks for info

we have contact with local DNR officer in the area we have our PBS Member Hunt again this year for hogs....to get his read and input since he will be one policing our hunts.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Thanks Brock! They were pretty dead certain last year - I'd be a bit irked to find out I'd been given incorrect info on something which can have such significant consequences.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
I`m planning a day trip over there maybe tomorrow or Wednesday and will let you guys know. I`ll ask the resident Warden. Hope to post up some pics and maybe a dead porker as well.RC

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
ttt
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Had things come up and did not get to go. Maybe next week.I look forward to the Hill Gang hunt.I plan on getting there on Monday and staying till Sunday Lord Willing.RC

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
Brandon,
I won't be able to leave on Thursday, although I truly wish I could. I will hopefully make it down on Friday afternoon. Something may change, if it does, we'll get it hooked up.

Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Ok, all looks good.  On the calendar at home and at work.  Driving down Wednesday, back Sunday. Gives me three days in between -- not a lot, but better than a poke in the eye!

Looking forward to seeing guys again as well as meeting new people who weren't able to make it last  year.

-Dave
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Was the answer to the licensing question ever obtained ?

ChuckC

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »
I called and spoke to a Ga DNR rep an she advised to get the WMA. She said the three day apprentice would allow access to WMA for things such as fishing and hiking but for actual hunting she understood the regs to mean a WMA license PLUS the three day apprentice was needed.

I ain't takin' the chance.

She also advised that a three day apprentice could be consecutive for a 6 day spread with the purchase of two back-to-back licenses, however, she stated she would purchase an initial three-day apprentice license online and then purchase another three day when in Ga  before the first three day expired. She did not think the online software would recognise the user wanting two three-day licenses back-to-back in a single purchase.

Clear as mud?

I'm going to buy one online for Mon-Wed and buy the second one in a separate purchase transaction for Wed thru Sat. Total of $113.

For an out-of-state hunter that ain't bad for a week's worth of camping and hunting.

Apprentice
Hunting License
This license offers potential hunters
(16 years of age and older) an
opportunity to hunt for three (3)
days without completing a hunter
education course. It also includes
fishing privileges on WMAs
and
PFAs and this license may be
purchased multiple times. All other
license requirements still apply. For
more information, go to:
 http://www.gohuntgeorgia.com/recreational-licenses

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2014, 04:43:00 AM »
This should clear it up.

From the regs, page 17:

WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA (WMA) LICENSE
is required for any person 16 years old or
older, who does not possess a valid Honorary,
Sportsman, or Lifetime Sportsman’s License,

when hunting on a WMA, PFA or State Park
(except that any person hunting on a State Park
quota hunt is exempt from this requirement).

I take that to mean a three day apprentice does not exempt one from a WMA license.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: January 04, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
Wishing everyone the best of luck and dry weather for the HH hog hunt. Sure wish I could be there again this year. We all had a great time last year despite the rain. Would be great to re visit with all who attended last year and to meet the TG's that didn't. Ocmulgee is a great place to hunt. If you get a chance to hunt with RC, do so, the man has pig radar!I have a feeling some pigs will die this year. Be safe everyone.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: January 04, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
who from New England is going to this?  before trying for the last minute time off I'm checking to see if I can catch a ride and split the costs.
"Us vs Them"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
I was hunting a WMA in N Georgia last fall and was advised that a WMA permit would be required for any activity on a WMA as of 2013. They mentioned mushroom hunting, birding, and a few other activities. I'm not finding anything better than what Bud posted but I'm covered by last year's annual still.
Thom

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: January 04, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Yes guy's, you do need a WMA permit to hunt WMA's in Georgia.It was 73.00 for the WMA permit last year and is good for one year from date of issue. Unless that requirement has changed. Wish I could attend as my license and permit are still valid until 2/03/2014.......just looked.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©