3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 years in a row to New Jersey ...  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
3 years in a row to New Jersey ...
« on: August 28, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I can't hardly wait I leave the great state of Iowa in 9 days to go to New Jersey. I have had great luck in New Jersey deer hunting. I will be the only Trad shooter in camp so I will be dealing with wheel shooters. I have one guy most of the way switched and working on the third.  Hope the stick gods are with me and I will post pictures of the trip when I get home. Does any one else on this site hunt New Jersey early bow season.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 years in a row to New Jersey ...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
I do I also live in Jersey.. I hunt in zone 10.. where will you be hunting buckvalley?

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
I hunt in North West and Central Jersey. I stay in Towaco and hunt in Bernardsville and Mendham county.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 05:17:00 AM »
I live in NJ.  I hunt zone 12.  I only hunt a couple of hours in the mornings until it cools off and starts to actually feel like hunting season in October.

Buckvalley...Did mean Morris County?
1 Corinthians 1:18

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
I hunt zones 10 & 7 (Hunterdon County)...have been all my life.

It sounds strange to hear of someone travelling to NJ to hunt.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
JERSEY ROCKS !!
Mike

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
An Iwegian hunting in Joyzee?? Dats a switch..

Good luck on the conversions
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
I hunt zones 1, 2, 3, 4 AND 5.  I know that's a lot of zones, but it's a relatively small part of NJ and I happen to live smack dab in the middle of all those zones.  But I spend most of my time in zone 2.

I agree with Earl... seems backwards to come from Iowa TO New Jersey.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the memories guys. I hunted Butler-Kinnelon-Towaco from the late 60's to the mid 70's and Vernon Valley to the mid 80's. That was when I was young. Always very happy memories. There was still a lot of woods in those areas then. And in those days, you could walk out your door and walk for miles hunting, and never worry about trespassing or posted property. Good Luck to all of you.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
will wonders never cease??   someone excited to leave IOWA and hunt NJ?????  usually it's the other way around!!  :bigsmyl:    

if you'd like to hunt s.e. NY or s.w. CT while you're here i've got some good spots and i'll happily hitch a ride back to IOWA....haha

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by md126:
will wonders never cease??   someone excited to leave IOWA and hunt NJ?????  usually it's the other way around!!   :bigsmyl:    

if you'd like to hunt s.e. NY or s.w. CT while you're here i've got some good spots and i'll happily hitch a ride back to IOWA....haha
NJ has lots of deer and many P&Y and B&C deer are taken each season.

Very few bad places especially if you have access to private land.

For the word of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us who are saved it is the power of God.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Just look out for the Jersey Devil ...

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
MikeC,  

relax, it was a joke.  i realize NJ has lots of deer and some good spots, just like NY and CT where i hunt. i passed on a trip to IOWA this year and have no regrets about hunting in the tri-state area. however, when it comes to whitetails there are few that would agrue that IOWA isn't one of the top 3 the best state's in the country.  

i do respectfully disagree w/ your statement that many P&Y and B&C bucks are taken each season in NJ... P&Y maybe but definitely not B&C class bucks. true B&C class bucks are very, very rare and those taken each year can probably be counted on one hand. the same goes for CT and my area of NY too.

not trying to knock the hunting, it's just the way it is. that's my opinion anyway

mike

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
I live and hunt NJ in zones 6,8,9 and 36. Lots of deer here.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Gosh, zones in NJ.  Back in the 60's I hunted  along the entire northern NY/NJ border line from Norwood/Rockleigh over to the water Gap with no zones.

Could walk out my door in Norwood and start to hunt.

Times have changed
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline MikeC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by md126:
MikeC,  

relax, it was a joke.  i realize NJ has lots of deer and some good spots, just like NY and CT where i hunt. i passed on a trip to IOWA this year and have no regrets about hunting in the tri-state area. however, when it comes to whitetails there are few that would agrue that IOWA isn't one of the top 3 the best state's in the country.  

i do respectfully disagree w/ your statement that many P&Y and B&C bucks are taken each season in NJ... P&Y maybe but definitely not B&C class bucks. true B&C class bucks are very, very rare and those taken each year can probably be counted on one hand. the same goes for CT and my area of NY too.

not trying to knock the hunting, it's just the way it is. that's my opinion anyway

mike
Didn't think my post showed any excitement, just stating some fact and opinion.  With regards to my comment about P&Y and B&C deer "many" may have been a little to loose of a term for B&C but not for P&Y.  I get around to many of the sport shops and see the pics, you'll be surprised at the size of the deer taken.  Lots of suburban sleepers out there.  Now I'm not comparing NJ with Iowa but we do all right.

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
chad,don't be going to jersey and shootin another record book.that's just not fair!lol

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
I went to Jersey three years ago and hunted had go luck seeing deer and shot four does in a week just no shooter bucks. Then last year I went again and the first morning I got my doe so the hunt was on. The guy I hunt with has good spots and he baits and has trail cameras and video of most of the bucks in the area. I was after a wide 10 pointer or a tall tine 8 point both we thought would score in the high 130'S. Well as good luck would have number 17 deer down the trail was the wide and heavy 10 point. I shot him and he grossed 141 and netted 138 3/8 not bad for a Jersey buck. Lets see what happens but my buddy says it looks good. I will post a picture of the deer I shot last year.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
MikeC,   i have no problem w/ your post trust me.   the only drawback to this site (and the internet in general,email, etc) is that context and intent can be perceived in a way it wasn't intended. i apologize if that was the case from either side...

anyway, i agree that there are quite a bit of deer and some real sleepers in these tight little suburban spots and NJ is no exception. i've done virtually all my hunting in peoples backyards and have seen some real dandies!  unfortunately with all the building and development going on i've seen a decline in the quality of the hunting... at least in my area's. oh well............

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
I'll second what my hunting partner Babmoo stated....Jersey Rocks.....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©