3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hope I didnt make a big mistake!  (Read 448 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Hope I didnt make a big mistake!
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Long story short, roughly 2 months ago I helped a fellow coworker in his conversion to trad., this fellas interest and excitement for going trad. is over the top, now we fast forward to the present.
When i ask how how is shooting is coming I always get the same answer,....he hasnt been shooting at all and whats worse is that hes primed and fired up about hitting the woods this coming deer season with tackle that he will in no way be able to shoot accurately!
Im sure he loves the trad. nostalgia but that in itself wont make a clean kill!
How do I get thru to this guy, that along with trad. gear comes commitmant to becoming the best you can be with your gear?
Ive helped others in the past who stuck with it and work hard at it, but I sure hope I didnt make a big mistake this time.   :dunno:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hope I didnt make a big mistake!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
Be honest with him. Let him know that one of the differences vs modern archery equipment is that he needs to shoot....a lot.

I shoot at least a few arrows every day. Not always a full blown 'session"....but at least 5-6 arrows.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Yep, I agree with Roger.  He needs to know that a recurve or a longbow isnt a compound.  He needs to get his "mind" right & shoot often.  good luck.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:23:00 AM »
Get him to go to a few 3D shoots with you if some are near. Invite him over and shoot for a coke or something. There are some subtle ways to show him he's not ready. And if you end up owing him a six pack then you'll know he's better than expected  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »
It's tough to know before hand if someone is going to work out or not. If someone asks, we're all going to encourage them. And do what we can to help. At some point it's up to them to step up.
If this guy makes a mess of things, it doesn't sound like it's your fault. Keep on him for a bit, but don't take it personally if he doesn't live up to his side of the bargain. Not everyone is suited for this lifestyle.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
I agree with the above statements.

If hes not willing to learn, maybe he will end up learning the hard way.  unfortunately some people are just hard headed. You cannot let it bother you.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Get him to go to a few 3D shoots with you if some are near. Invite him over and shoot for a coke or something. There are some subtle ways to show him he's not ready. And if you end up owing him a six pack then you'll know he's better than expected   ;)  
Good idea Bud.  

It has nothing to do with you or trad gear so don’t think somehow you did something to cause a potential problem with a hunter and the game.  If he will not put in the time to shoot well with trad gear so he can make ethical shots with it, he is also likely the same type that will shoot too far or take bad shots with any other weapon.  You either respect the game or you don't.  It doesn't matter what you hunt with.  I know people that will not shoot a compound more than a few times the week before hunting season or who don’t bother checking the zero on their gun let alone practice with it.  It is all the same thing in the end if you make a bad shot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
The only person you have any chance of having control over is.... you!

Having said that, you can be a positive influence...leading by example.

God bless you for caring and trying to do the right thing.

His servant, Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
You just have to love flinging arrows to begin with.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
If this guy has a valid hunting license and legal equipment that should be all that matters to you as a fellow hunter. You can only paddle your boat.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Lil Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
You have done everything you can..it's up to him now.

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Paul it  looks like you done you're  part by getting him started. But its left up to him if he wants to continue the journey. Dont beat yourself up over this. You've  done what was right. God bless ya brother.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
I have taken newbies on Canadian canoe trips. I always had a problem with those that wanted me to believe that they could do it all and did not need any advice or training, and then that first giant lake complete with white caps hit them and the their bluff ended.  I no longer take the know it all BSers along anymore.  It will not be the same for you because he can buy his own tags.  You can invite him to shoot with you at a small deer target with a nice grassy arrow eating back drop. After he loses a few arrows he will take hitting the target more seriously.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Challenge him to a cold shot competition.  Different distances and positions.  Make it interesting.  First arrow is the only one that counts.  It's not only fun but a real good way to find your effective range.  Do it every day for a couple months before season assuming you both have a place to shoot.  Alternate calling the shots.  Take pictures with your cellphones and text them back and forth.  Keep score and the winner every week gets a couple rounds of drinks or a dinner on the loser.  Once a month go stump shooting or to a 3D.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
sad thing is he's liable to connect first time out, and further solidify his way of thinking

Offline ROSSBOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Get him to go to a few 3D shoots with you if some are near. Invite him over and shoot for a coke or something. There are some subtle ways to show him he's not ready. And if you end up owing him a six pack then you'll know he's better than expected   ;)  
That worked with me....
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God.” -Fred Bear

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
If this guy has a valid hunting license and legal equipment that should be all that matters to you as a fellow hunter. You can only paddle your boat.
I don't agree.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by KOOK68:
sad thing is he's liable to connect first time out, and further solidify his way of thinking
That's true!

Offline yankeevol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Let him go. Let him fail. Let him learn.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
Well fellas this morning I asked if he had shot any over the weekend, this was after bringing it up in a Morning B.S session  that I had shot a bit both Sat. and Sun, the reply I got shocked me...... "You have to shoot everyday because you shoot 70lb bows, mines only 40 lbs", that went thru me like a Sabre! but I maintained my composure (not sure how that happened, cause im not good at biting my tongue) and explained that poundage has nothing to do with it, as accuracy is what counts and  you have to practice in order to achieve accuracy.
I may or may not have got thru to him, as im beginning to think that there are some lazy and ethical issues with this guy, that are beyond outside help, but im gonna keep at it.
John,  im going to throw your idea out there and see what happens, you never know, he might bite.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©