3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hope I didnt make a big mistake!  (Read 447 times)

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hope I didnt make a big mistake!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
I don't think you made a mistake. He will figure it out or he won't last as a trad hunter. It's not for everybody.

I think the reason theres so few of us, relatively speaking is because it IS harder than most people think. A lot of compound guys don't shoot till right before deer season opens. Not all of them, some are very dedicated, but a lot . People getting into trad sometimes don't realize that if you're going to be consistently successful bowhunting, this becomes a lifestyle.

Many people just won't put that kind of time in.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Thank you Mr. Cook, your post really put my mind at ease, for with much disappointment and failure he will only last so long, and as you stated, its not for everybody.
Just an added note, this possible bad incident, will in no way deter me from wanting to help others who want to try the traditional journey, for as Mr. Cook stated, it a lifestyle, and one that has given many of us, yrs. of pleasure,joy and success. It is not for the mere passers by, but in fact it is for those who accept the dedication, challenge and love of doing it our way........the trad. way......and as for myself, the only way!

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Well . . you could introduce him to the website and see that he stumbles across this thread . ..
  :readit:  

Kingsnake

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »
On another note . . .my concern with the "Let him go.  Let him fail. Let him learn." approach is that to some guys, injured and lost deer only mean "It's time for a new arrow."

:(

Kingsnake

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Kingsnake, ive given him numerous research sources, such as this fine site, but he never visits this one or others, seems he has no interest in learning anything about his newly found craft. Now that ive got him set up with matched tackle that flys well and some basic shooting form, I guess that he is of the opinion that he has acquired all that he needs to be an efficient traditional archer/ hunter.
Im hoping I can change that.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
How were you appointed to be this guy's over-seer, or be the judge of his right to hunt with traditional equipment, hopefully not just because you got him interested in Traditional equipment? If you think you made a mistake introducing this man to trad archery just because he didn't measure up to your expectations then you are the one with the problem. How much should one practice shooting to keep the ehtics police from revoking your hunting privaleges?
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
James, im no ones over-seer  and im no ones judge of who should or shouldnt hunt with trad. gear, but isnt it the responsibility of all hunters to be the best that they can be with there choice of equipment?
I would assume James that you are one who practices with your tackle so as to be able to make a clean humane kill....and shouldnt that be the goal of all hunters? Seems to me that a flood of recorded wounded animals, because of laziness and no dedication will bring fourth faster the ethics police and will result in the revocation of our hunting privileges sooner.
By the way James, the expectations of myself and others are pretty simple,... take the time to get it right! for the future of our hunting sports depends on it!!! Just hanging back in the shadows and saying wound them, mame them... oooops I shot it through the gut ,but thats ok, ill go get another one  mentality, is not the image that hunters need!
Solid hunter education, with a do it best mentality, with positive ethics reinforcement  are what we need in order to keep our hunting sports afloat!
Think of the many, and not the few!
 And im the one with the problem??????

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
I agree. You have done your part. You have encouiraged him to try trad and have admonished him to become proficient. The rest is up to him. But, as some have suggested, taking him to some 3D shoots and inviting him to practice with you ought to open his eyes. If all else fails, I would flat out tell him he is not ready. Sorry if that is not a politically correct follow up.
Sam

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Well said Sam! I will in fact try the suggestions of my fellow trandgang members, in hopes of that he will see that effort + fun will = a lifetime of enjoyment as well as success on what might be his lifetime journey in trad. archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©