3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: safety rope  (Read 606 times)

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
safety rope
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
I would like to make a safety rope for use ascending and descending a tree stand. Similar to  http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0046839418023a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=safety+rope&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx= mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=safety+rope&noImage=0

Can anyone help with:
-   what to use for the main line
-   what to use for the prusik cord
-   where to purchase the materials

I think I can use a bowline not instead of a carabineer to attach the rope near the tree stand.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: safety rope
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Please don't take offence to this, but:

Strongly suggest (1) buying a product made for the use or (2) go to a specialty shop for rock climbing for your materials.  Here in the North East it would be something like Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS).  You will likely pay more at option #2.

This isn't "just wing it" when it comes to safety lines, and I doubt "the big orange box" or"wally world" carries the right stuff in the do-it-yourself section.

To me this is similar to the thread where someone was looking for bolts for their stand and didn't know about the different grades of material.

Just my $0.02.  Othere can disagree, I will hold no grudge or take no offence.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I tried to go that route and I must say by the time you pay for the proper rope you've spent the same as buying one pre-made.

I ended up buying some of these. It helps the guy is local to me but it was still cheaper than buying the right kind of rope.

http://www.geocities.com/safetreehunt/index.html

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
I went to a local outfitter last week and bought a length of climbing rope(asked for their suggestions) and they set it up with a prusik knot for hooking to. The climbing line was $1 per foot and the line for the prusik knot was about$.50. The climbing ropes are quite a bit smaller than the one that came with my harness but from what the guys told me, their line was way stronger. They hang from theirs all the time.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Numitokayo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Just make sure the rope you buy can take the weight of your body when you fall.  I know the employees out here that work for the Power Corporation have very strict sizes for different weight people.  They are up in very high situations on a daily basis and this is what they told me when I asked them the same question. I got my rope at Mountain Equipment Coop.  They too specialize in rock climbing.

Have fun and be safe  :)

DQ
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
I rock climb and PLEASE only use rope rated for what you are doing.  Anything you buy at the Hardware Store is not rated for a fall.  Do what BobW suggests.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
http://www.summitstands.com/productdetail.aspx?id=329147  

I use this (I've got three of them) and you could probably make it cheaper but this was simple and safe. My Lone Wolf harness has a light weight caribinner to attach to the prusik knot so I didn't need the hardware from Summit.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
If it were me and I was set on doing this myself, I'd follow Pat B's advice and method.  I used to rock climb and those folks know how to keep from falling to your death or worse, disability.

That being said, I wouldn't even do that.  I'm a DIY guy and basically as cheap as they come.  But for the few extra bucks you pay for the commercial, tested, designed products, I'd just buy this stuff pre-made.  The folks with the liability are going to do it right in our overly litigious society.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Dan:

That is exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks for the URL. I agree, it would cost almost as much to make it myself, but I knew there was a less expensive version than the one offered by Cabelas.

Pat:  

Thanks for your input as well.  You should look at the URL provided by Dan - if you buy a couple of them they are almost the same price as making your own (and I haven't added gas $$ for shopping)

Lost Arra:

That link is for an extra safety strap used once you reach your stand height, and hooking up to.  Not for ascending and descending.

Thanks everyone!!!

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by ziggy:

Lost Arra:

That link is for an extra safety strap used once you reach your stand height, and hooking up to.  Not for ascending and descending.

I actually use mine for ascending and descending.  I just move it up the tree as I go.  I make sure it's higher than me by about an arm's reach.  You step up, move the rope up, make sure it's tight and then repeat.  With a climbing stand I make it part of my climbing routine.  The more you get used to it, the faster it goes.

I hook onto my tree on the ground and don't unhook until I am back on the ground.  This poduct from Summit really helps.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Zig: the rope is 30' long with a prusic knot that will slide from the ground to above the stand. It looks like the same thing as the cabelas link except without the carabiner.

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 11:59:00 AM »
Lost Arra: The URL you posted, which listed the item for $20, is 30ft long?  If so - that's a great deal.  It doen't look that long in the picture.  I think you ment to list this URL

http://www.summitstands.com/productdetail.aspx?id=329141

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
DaleinOhio: I have a loggy bayou saftey harness which attachs to the tree in the manner you describe.  I would use it the same way you are if I were using a climber.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0046840418053a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=safety+harness&N=4887&Ntk=Products&N tx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=safety+harness&noImage=0

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 12:10:00 PM »
Ooops.

I know my ropes are 30' long but you're probably right. I think I got their 3-pack so I could leave them in my different stands.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
These are great products and certainly do make it easier and faster to climb up in a stand once it is in place. However, the problem with these climbing ropes from my point of view is that they really only protect you once they are put in place. You still have to climb up the tree to set them up.

The approach that I use and that I teach in my IBEP class is to wear a full body harness and slide the rope that goes around the tree up as I climb. It stops me just as well as these systems do. If I have to go over a limb/treestep/ladder strut I use a second rope that I place above the obstacle and then remove the lower rope.

It is just as easy as the climbing line, you just push the loop up the tree instead of the prussic knot up the rope.

To each his own, but please be sure that you are attached to that tree at all times when you are climbing up that first time.

Good luck to all this season,

Larry
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Larry,

I do that to set my stands. Then I attach the climbing rope to use when hunting. Most of my stands stay in place most of the season so it is far easier to just climb and slide the knot to get in and out.

I have one for every stand.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
This is something I have been thinking about adding to all of my stands.  I put up a bunch every year, so it is going to take some investment.  
Any idea how these ropes hold up over time after being left out all fall?  In particular, how are they affected by UV rays?  Can you tell when they go bad and need to be replaced?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
Lines are rigged for climers (mountains), and left for extended periods of time.  I don't claim to be an expert, but speculate that the season would be fine.  If I did that, I would likely be tossing them after the season (or using them for non-critical things after that).

Another thing to consider here is that a prusic not may not function properly of wet/frozen/etc.

Someone with serious climbing experience needs to chime in here......
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©