3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dryad ILF Noise During Draw  (Read 195 times)

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
Dryad ILF Noise During Draw
« on: May 20, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I've got some noise issues I can't figure out with my ILF set up.  I'm shooting a Dryad Epic 15" Riser with new Dryad Legend ACS-RC Limbs.  This makes a 60" bow and I draw 28.5".  I'm shooting the limbs backed out 3 turns.  Every draw there is a series of "clicks" usually 2-3 clicks and I know if I can hear it that a pig or deer will hear it.  I spoke with Mike and have exhausted all of the recommendations from Dryad.  I've used teflon tape where the brass collar rests around the limb bolts so it doesn't move, I've tightened the hex bolts in the pockets on the riser.  I have some Loctite Blue to try there but haven't applied it yet.  I'm hoping someone has some explanation or recommendation to get rid of this noise.    
   :help:

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dryad ILF Noise During Draw
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
Do you have another ILF riser that you could throw the limbs onto to see if it is a limb noise or a riser noise? I recently got a set of those too, I put them on an off-brand riser and had to adjust the dovetail all the way to one side to get the string to hit the grooves, I was thinking maybe as you started to draw, the strings were popping over into the string grooves before you got the draw back far enough to completely clear the grooves and obviously that's only if your strings aren't in the grooves already, just speculating from afar.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Check the limb pivots/ in the limbs they should be spring loaded they may be loose . I had a similar noise with my ILF [different bowyer] and after putting a thin layer of felt in the limb pivot seat on the riser the noise went away. As stated above check the tiller and to make sure the limbs are tracking straight, just draw the bow back and then let it down and if it is tracking properly the string will be resting in the string groves.

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I don't have another riser to try.  I will look into what you both have mentioned.   Thanks a bunch!

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
The felt in the pocket has made the bow quiet so far.  I'll keep shooting and hopefully it doesn't return!  Thanks for that insight!

Buddy

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Well I'm stumped again!  I thought the felt got it but it's back again!  Was fine for the first 20 shots or so today after getting bow back to brace.  Aside from the clicking it's shooting great!  I just for the life of me can't get rid of that dang clicking noise!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Buddy,

I'm sure you went through and made sure all the bolts were tightened down except the limb bolt.

If it's still driving you nuts, send it too me and I'll figure it out.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Buddy,

I'm sure you went through and made sure all the bolts were tightened down except the limb bolt.

If it's still driving you nuts, send it too me and I'll figure it out.

Mike
Yeah, Mike.  Sure did.  I'll send it your way with the limbs.  It was doing this same thing with the longbow limbs as well.  Do you want those too?

Thanks a bunch!

Buddy

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Buddy,

The curve limbs should do it.  Put a note in the box so I remember what we are doing.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
We got the bow today and did some testing.  Of course, after we put it together Jason pulled it forty times and no clicking.

I did notice that the bushings were still quite loose and started sliding down the bolt.  We fixed them so they will stay put now.

We’ll shoot it some tomorrow and make sure it stay quiet.

We are going to be changing how we do the bushing in the near future to eliminate this noise issue forever.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline StickSlinger74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Can't wait to get it back and have it not making that noise anymore!  Customer service second to none at Dryad!  Thanks Mike and Jason!

Buddy

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
Let me know when it comes in Buddy.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Users currently browsing this topic: