3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Some mast in GA  (Read 831 times)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Some mast in GA
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I went to my club in Oglethorpe Co. GA this past weekend to mow, plow and plant before the season opener on Sept 8. We found pretty good bit of persimmons and grapes and found where squirrels were cutting white oak acorns. Was happy to see at least some mast crops doing good.
   The soil was like powder for 8" to 10" down. The weather was hot(95+) and humid. When I left the club about 2:30pm there wasn't a cloud in the sky. By the time I hit the GA/SC border at Lake Hartwell the skies were blackening and in a few minutes all heck broke loose. By the time I got back home, we had about 1.25" in our rain gauge and the rain bands were heading east.
  If our timeing was correct, by opening morning the soy beans and iron clay peas should be up and half eaten   :D   .     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some mast in GA
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Those white oak acorns are deer magnets. Mostly reds up here and the locations of whites are closely guarded secrets. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
David, the problem is there was a late freeze about Easter time that effected the whole S.E. US. I was afraid there wouldn't be any mast, hard or soft, at all. All of the apples in NC and the peaches in SC were ruined. Trees were killed because the sap had risen before the hard freeze. You can still see the limb tips where they got burned.       Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Thats a shame. Though it does help finding hot areas, if mast is limited.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
The white oaks on our property aren't producing this year.  Shame since I have shot a deer every year heading to or from the giant white oaks for the past several years.  The late freeze really burned the mast trees around here.  The red oaks are producing a very limited amount so I guess I'll be hunting them this year.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
We haven't had any mast on the red oaks around here in at least two years. I'm hoping that black cherries might provide a backup. The black cherry trees are spread(I find) by the deer eating the cherries and then pooping out the seeds. So, maybe the black cherry trees themselves are a good indicator of deer patterns. This is prolly not any new info to a lot of you, but it is to an ol boy from north TX.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
oaks are poor this year Pat with the late frost
TEAM HILLBILLY

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Here in weatern Va. I am seeing some acorns in both white and red oaks, most of the nuts are only in very tops of the trees though. Last year we had a huge crop. Squirrels were cutting the whiteoaks the other day. I have'nt found one hickory tree with nuts yet.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
The water oaks at the club had acorns but because of the drought, they were only the size of a BB.
  We have had good acorn crops the last few yours but that can make the hunting very difficult as well. The deer don't have to go far from their beds to feed. I would rather have a sporatic mast crop and find the right area to hunt where there are acorns falling.
   I think that if this heat continues it won't matter if there are acorns, or any mast for that matter, because the deer will wait til the cool of the nights to feed. Plus, by the time you get to your stand you are sweating like a pulpwood cutter.    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 02:19:00 PM »
Pat.......your making me miss my old club in Oglethorpe Co. We were down 77 between Stephens and Maxeys.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
We are on the other side of Stevens from where you are off of Bull Bray Rd. I guess we were neighbors. Did you know Emmit Cabiness? His property surounds us. Who owned the property you were on?    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
Pat........A man named Charlie Hubbard owned the land where the camp sat, as well as some surrounding land. Most was paper co. land with a couple of private owners who's names I can't recall. Yes, I remember Cabiness, although I never knew him personally. He bought most of Hubbard's property in the mid 90's, including the camp area.
For many years, it was a great club. Alot of land, great campsite with skinning sheds, coolers, the whole bit. Then, like alot of other clubs, we'd lose a chunk, go a couple years, lose another, until it was a fraction of what it once was. The final blow came when we lost the campsite and a couple of crucial tracts.
But, during "the good old days" it was something else. I had alot of good times there and really miss it.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
The black oak in my front yard is dropping like crazy right now.I'll bet we haven't hasd 2" of rain all summer and the temps have been well, we just set a record for number of 90+ days in one summer.   "[dntthnk]"
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Fortunately most of our land belongs to the mothers of 3 of our members. We(about 9 of us) have been hunting this property for about 20 years. We do lease about 85ac of our 250ac from an elderly black woman so I guess that could change at any time. The first deer of the season always goes to the processor in her name and she really appreciates it. Got to keep her happy.
 Mickey, I have red and white oaks in my yard that have a few acorns but not many out in the woods. Chestnut oaks are dropping but nothing eats them. I did notice that the beech trees are covered with nuts though.   Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
Beech nuts are another great draw. Good place to find black bears also up here.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Pat, I live just north of Oglethorpe in Elbert County. Only thing I saw a couple of weeks ago when I hung my stand was muscudines (sp?). They'll most likely be gone by opening day. I know the area you hunt well. I was a deputy sheriff down there for a few years in the mid 90s. More deer than you can shake a stick at.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 06:23:00 AM »
On my little spot in Hancock Co. (East Central GA), found the usual crab apples lacking fruit.  But did find a couple that had good numbers of crab apples.  Set up trail camera and brushy ground blinds near them.
Also found a spot that is LOADED with muscadines.
Set up a trail camera on it.  Also cleared away underbrush from it and made a ground blind with it.
Did not get to study the acorns, but expect them to be thin.
Dan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Bowana, Did you know Stacy(I think that was her name) the deputy sheriff that shot her boy friend, put him in a water trough, filled it with concrete and tried to dump him in a lake? I guess she didn't realize how much a water trough filled with cement and a person would weigh. She was a heck of a turkey hunter!
  If you ever try to drive around at night you know how many deer there are around that area. In the woods you even can't buy a deer sometime .    Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 1gutpile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
hit or miss this year some trees are loaded and others are bare..YEEEEEHAWWWWW...just the way I like it...gut
to take from nature the materials needed to take from nature the meat needed....

Offline joe c.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
we have some white&red oaks holding, nothing like last year.
makes for great hunting if you can locate the trees with nuts opening day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©