3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Changes Coming to Hog Heaven!  (Read 494 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Changes Coming to Hog Heaven!
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
I first want to thank all of you who saw fit to join us for hunts at our special place on the Savannah River over the last four years.

Of all the benefits gained the most significant has been the many close and important friendships made on these hunts, and for that I am most grateful

Andrew Harper- the landowner- will be your host going forward.

-------------------------------------------------

Dear Fellow Purists,

Ray and I want to thank all of you for your interest and support for Hog Heaven over these last four years. You have made it an ongoing operation that has introduced us to new friends and left us with memories of great weekends.

Ray and I have had a number of personal and business events in our lives that are necessitating some changes in Hog Heaven's operations. As you know, Ray has been operating the camp and hunting operation largely on his own. This has included correspondence, bookings, meeting you in Estill, cooking, hunting advice, hunting stories (some even true!), etc.  Because of expanded business and work opportunities, along with personal obligations, Ray will, for the most part, be taking leave from Hog Heaven and the BowCamp. He has had a fine four year run that has made Hog Heaven into a viable hunting operation. But between family, work, and a five hundred mile round trip, the BowCamp is eating up too much of his time.

Beginning September 1st, I will operate the BowCamp along with managing the hunting lands. A number of changes and improvements are in the works at this time. Some of them are

1.      http://huntwildthings.com/      is under construction and will be up and running soon.

2.Accommodations will be a separate bunkhouse with four sets of bunks and two full bathrooms for eight hunters.

3.A lodge with fireplaces, full kitchen, dining area, and porch on a 32 acre lake. (Bring your fishing gear!)

4.The lodge and bunkhouse are on an additional 350 acres of hunting land that is comprised of pine upland, hardwood forests, and swampland. This land is on the opposite side from the old camp (nearer to Estill) and has almost two miles of common border with the land you've been hunting.

5.More roads with better access to the Savannah River Swamp.

6.Plantings in fields and roadsides year round for hogs and deer. Also, plantings of hardwoods and fruit trees in the upland areas to enhance wildlife feedings in the piney areas.

7.Specific areas for tree stand and elevated hunting only.

8.Three day AND five day hunts will be available.

9.Expanded cooking and menus.

Again, I want to thank Ray and Mike for their hard work these last four years. The camp's "rustic" appearance and nature have been challenging for Ray and you, our guests.  Please continue visiting us this year in the South Carolina Lowcountry for a great experience.  

Thank all of you again for your interest and patronage in the past.

Sincerely,

Andrew Harper
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Changes Coming to Hog Heaven!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
News for sure. Family 1st Ray.

Offline stumpsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
I hope you leave your potato salad recipe for Andrew!  We got the chance to meet Andrew when we were down in April and I look forward to coming down and hunting there again.
Semper Fidelis

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
To say Andrew is a fine southern gentleman and exceptional cook is a huge understatement. Not a better host to be had.

Hope all goes well with you Ray. Your hostings at Hog Heaven were exceptional as well. I have very fond memories of my hunt there last year because of you, Andrew, and Larry Surtees.

I hope to revisit in the near future as retirement nears.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
A lot of treasured memories and a lot of friendships made.  I will truly miss the old camp but after looking over the grounds and buildings at the new location, I look forward to hunting out of there in the future.
   Having met Andrew on a couple of occasions I'm sure the new camp will be a success.
  Ray, Thank-you sir for the good times and thanks for introducing us to the joys of Hog hunting. We'll be in touch!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Guys, Andrew is a class act, you will be in good hands with him!
Mike

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Congrats on a break and some breathing room Ray....and to you Andy for taking it to the next level based on the work and results of Ray.  I hope to get down there one day in the future for myself...

best of luck to all involved, past or future.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I've spent six wonderful weekends in that old trailer. A small part of me will miss the old girl, even the dried up lizard caught in the spider web.  :)  Our hunts at Hog Heaven have been life changing for me and my friends. Very good times indeed!

Ray, you have been a wonderful host, guide, chef, and most of all FRIEND! I truely hope you and Mike can make it down when the Fa Kow Ee roll into camp. Good luck in your career and with your family now that you have some extra time.

Andrew, you too have become a good friend of the tribe. We are very anxious to visit your new facilities, share a campfire with you, and stalk the beautiful swamps. We will certainly be returning!

Dave Lohr
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Ray,

Whew.  Didn't know how much longer I could keep it in!

Thanks for all that you have done, my friend.

Although my time with Andrew has been limited, I 100% agree that he is a class act and I, personally, look forward to the next chapter!

Ray - Hogzilla still has your name on it, and again, I think the idea of dousing Squirrel Bait with sow-in-heat urine will be your best bet at shooting that big bugger (the hog that is     :laughing:    ).

I have a personal request.  I would like to buy the "Don't Sit On Stove - HOT" sign to frame up and laugh about later!

Thanks, Big guy!  

Andrew - get ready for the hog killing to start again soon!

BC
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Sure would like to do this sometime in the near future.  Sounds like a wonderful place, great hunting and even better folks.  Heck, my parents live in Aiken so I have a reason to get down there anyway.
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Ray, thank you so much for the fun times I have had there! I know we spoke about this at the last visit, but there is something about those beautiful woods and swamp that becomes part of you. I think it is one of the greatest places on earth! Thanks for all you did my friend.

I look forward to going back and can't wait to see what Andrew has in store. Having gotten to visit with Andrew briefly I know that the operation is going to be first class. See you next spring!
Mike Davenport

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Ray,
Thank you for your kind hospitality at Hog Heaven. Thanks also for the great stories, the hunting tips, the wonderful meals and for the recipe for your incredible pulled pork (yum). But thank you most of all for your friendship. You are, for sure, one of the good guys. I do hope our trails cross again as often as possible, and I truly mean that.

I know the place will be in good hands with Andrew. After chatting with him a bit and getting to know him a little the last couple of times I was there, it is clear why the two of you are such close friends.

Please stay in touch.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
I believe this was Rick and my 5th time, hunting at Hog Heaven. We felt at home from day one, part of the family. Rick and I both brought our sons down there, we all fell in love with the place.

The memories will always be there, even when my mind is completely gone (Rick, Squirrel Bait, Thom and Ray can all tell ya that ain't far off).

We had the opportunity to look over the new site this weekend and it will be great. Andrew is a super guy (cant wait to taste his cooking)and will be a great host. It will be a change I will miss seeing Ray's smiley face, but look forward to seeing Andrew's. (Ray does Andrew hug?)

New name, new sleeping quarters, but still HOG HEAVEN. I have meet some of the finest folks there, had a blast every single time and look forward to continue the yearly trek down there.
TGMM

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Doug, lets go get matching Ray tattoos and we'll always see Rays smiling face. I too had good times there. I'll miss ya big fellas but I'll take your word and entrust my time and money to your friend Andrew. Did you two grow up on Long Island together?    :campfire:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
And Doug, I remember pulling into BoBops on my 1st HH trip. Lo and behold, theres a fella sharpening a HH head with a file in the parking lot. Right there I said, this must be the place.

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Great memories of Ray,Mike,and Hog heaven. Family first Ray. Stay well,
Dan
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I forgot about that Izzy, hows your cuz?
TGMM

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
He's  good. He speaks of you often, that weekend had a tremendous impact on his hunting career.

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Good or bad??   :laughing:
TGMM

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
All good, we did some big time laughing and enjoyed every minute hunting and sharing camp with you Up North folks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©