3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cock feather Up, Vs. Cock feather Out. Which way do you shoot and why?  (Read 615 times)

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
Today I experimented  with shooting my arrows cock feather up as apposed to cock feather out. I couldn't really say one way was more accurate than the other. When you shoot cock feather out the two hen feathers brush the bow, one in the corner between shelf and strike plate the other brushes the bow high on the strike plate. When you shoot cock feather up only the lower hen feather brushes the bow in the corner between shelf and plate. So I was just wondering why some people shoot cock feather up, is it to prevent fletching wear because that lower hen feather no longer brushes the bow? Or does it effect accuracy having only one hen feather contact the bow instead of two?  So which way do you shoot and why? Thanks-Matt.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Option C: cock feather in so that the top feather sits at one o'clock and touches my nose (lefty)
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm not sure about other folks. But I tend to get better flight with the cock feather up.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
cock feather in

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
When I shot cock feather in I got crazy arrow flight, I mean the arrow shot out way the left (righty) like it had sprung off a diving board. All I can guess is that the feather compressed against the bows riser and propelled it back off. Plus it corkscrewed down as it went left. Cock feather in, in my opinion defies traditional logic and physics. But as I say when it comes to trad shooting, if it works for you, do it. Thanks for your input BH.
"Now take thy weapons, thy quiver of arrows & thy bow & go out to the field, & hunt some venison."

"I caught the caimans on a cane pole baited with hotdogs. I beat them to death with a stick and skinned them with my bare teeth." -dhaverstick

Offline Arkansas Osage

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by petalumapete:
I'm not sure about other folks. But I tend to get better flight with the cock feather up.
Why do you think?

Originally posted by rolltidehunter:
cock feather in
Why?

How and WHY, why you shoot the way you do being the main question.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
I don't know if it would be called in or not but I shoot with my cock feather so it slides in the corner of the cutout on my shelf.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Up, because I get better arrow flight.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
I have been shooting Cockfeather in, I was at a 3d shoot with a fella older than me, he was mid 70's and I am 10 years his junior. Shooting wood arrows off the shelf, the paradox introduced by the string launching the arrow past the springs of the bow (limbs)let the feather clear the shelf properly, he had read a few articles and suggested that I try, my group tightened up subtantially that day. That was his opinion and I am sticking to it.
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
I went through this same dilemma about 2months ago . I tried odd color feather or cock feather in the 12 o'clock and I tried it turned into the riser . But found a better way for me anyway.

I kinda do both. My cock feather (off color) out but I turn the nock so it is out but down around the 8 o'clock  putting my 2 same color feathers in the position of one in the 12' o'clock and the other in the 4 o' clock . So it's kind of both. I get the best arrow flight this way. It seems this way I get a wider space between the 8&4 o'clock clearing the shelf better.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
I like cock feather for the reason you indicate...not sure it makes a whole lot of difference...just works for me
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Should read cock feather up
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
A 4 Fletch arrow shoots good any way you use it....
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
4 fletch here as well. Hook 'er up and let fly.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
I shoot cock feather out...anything else just looks weird to me.  I've tried them all and didn't really notice a difference.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
I shoot 4 fletch or cock feather in.  I seem to get better flight.  I shoot right wing feathers.  I've read you shoot left wing with cock out and right with cock feather in.  Don't know if that's a wife's tale or not.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm movin towards 60x120 4 fletch. Anything 3 fletch I shoot cock feather out. Mainly because I don't find much difference and It's easier to do with my jig and wood arrows where I cant rotate the nock.

I think an arrow which is really well tuned to the bow, it won'te matter at all where the feathers are pointing. I've shot plastic vanes out of some selfbows with nearly centershot shelves and achieved very very clean arrow flight. The vanes fully clear the riser and there is no contact. Feathers should also clear the riser.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I don't see much difference when I shoot.  I have not tried up, but in and out.  I have one bow in seemed to shoot better, but it may ahave been my focus as I tested.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

I normally shoot with my cock feather out and the bottom hen feather lined up in the corner of my shelf/riser. When I hunt I turn it so my broadhead lies horizontal during the draw and one of the feathers (it does not matter which one) lines up in the corner. As long as one feather is in the corner, the other two are oriented the same as always; just sometimes the cock feather will be in any of the three positions.

Bisch

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
i bare shaft by arrows. so it flys strait without feathers. so when i flecth them they fly even straiter. it doesnt matter if they are left right in out out up or down.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©