3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backquiver Pics  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backquiver Pics
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Bladepeek,

My quiver I use is from a 7/8oz bullhide double shoulder. Once it is oiled properly and allowed some break-in time it's nice and soft in the right places and holds its shape in the right places. Go ahead and start your quiver.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Bladepeek,

My quiver I use is from a 7/8oz bullhide double shoulder. Once it is oiled properly and allowed some break-in time it's nice and soft in the right places and holds its shape in the right places. Go ahead and start your quiver.    :thumbsup:  
Where are you buying it from?  I think I am going to try to make one next winter.

Offline Wolfshead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
Here is my back quiver I made this past winter

And here is one I just finish at the beginning of this summer
My version of an Asbell style. Copied the idea from a post that was listed earlier this year by I believe Pat Brennan. Could be mistaken about that though....

Bama Expediton Hunter Hybrid Longbow
58", 52# @ 27"
Bama Hunter Longbow
64", 45# @ 27"
"You only need sit still long enough, in some attractive spot in the woods, that all it's inhabitants may exhibit themselves to you by turns"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
That's beautiful work Bud!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Here are a couple of my back quivers... The one on the left is the one that Bud made for me in the St Jude's auction. I made the one on the right several years ago.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
I hope it's doing well by you Ben. It looks nice next to your fancy one  ;)  You do nice work!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
I hope it's doing well by you Ben. It looks nice next to your fancy one   ;)   You do nice work!!
Brother Bud,
I really am enjoying the quiver. She is loaded with files, string, stringer and few other things. I used the quiver at the last 3D that I attended and I received a lot of compliments about your fine made quiver. Thanks Brother!!!

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »

Wife knitted the body, I stitched at the strap and stuffed it with arrow tubes so broadheads didn't catch (not that I have any usable ones.)  I almost feel bad for messing up my wife's handiwork.

She makes awesome knit hats, as well.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by halfseminole:

Wife knitted the body, I stitched at the strap and stuffed it with arrow tubes so broadheads didn't catch (not that I have any usable ones.)  I almost feel bad for messing up my wife's handiwork.

She makes awesome knit hats, as well.
That's pretty cool!  :thumbsup:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Now that's really unique....a Knitted Back quiver!!   :thumbsup:    :archer:    :archer:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by BarrBow:
Bud B,
 Very nice work. What color are you planning on dyeing it? I always dread making the bottom.

Barr
This one isn't a back quiver, but will show you how I do the bottoms whether round, square, oval, whatever. I cut a heavy cardboard pattern to just fit into the bottom. I use this pattern to cut two pieces of heavy (8-9 oz maybe) leather. Glue these together. Then I cut another piece of light leather (4-5 oz) about 1/2" larger all the way around and glue the first two pieces of heavy leather in the center of the flesh side of the light piece.

Then, you just push the whole works up into the quiver so you have it inset about 3/8". The thin leather can be glued to the inside of the quiver sides and then punched and laced or sewn in place. Makes a nice, flat bottom that no broadhead is going to punch through.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
Thanks for that tip BP.  Nice looking SQ.  I have a couple of them...neither of which is exactly what I want.  Would you mind sharing pics of your entire quiver as I see what looks to be a stiffener in it, and the one quiver I like the best needs me to do something like that to is.  Just fishing for ideas.
Thanks
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
Nice thread with some awesome looking quivers.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline BarrBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Bladepeek,

That's a great looking side quiver. I do very similar process as you when I put the bottom in... But I never thought to glue it first. That would make punching the holes one step instead of two, and also make it much easier to align holes! Great tip.
_ _ _ _ _ _______________ _  _  _  _  _
64" Black Widow PLX T.D. Cross Grain Graybark 50#@28
68" H.H. Cheetah 58#@28

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Green, here's the rest of that side quiver. Wish I could claim to have designed it, but I stole it from a build-along on another site with a couple very minor modifications. Works well. The stiffener is 1/8" steel rod. I made the sleeves a bit small and had to pound the wire down into them after greasing it up a bit   :)  

PM me if you want to discuss it, as I really feel that I'm now stealing a thread that was about back quivers.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
BP - Just completed the idea we discussed via email.  Thanks for the link/pics.  Sorry y'all for the hijack.     :knothead:

Offline dcphotog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
My favorite "back quiver". Though not your traditional over the shoulder draw style. It rides along my back at my right hand side and allows a side draw. It fully protects the fletchings and never gets in the way while hunting.

I consider this more of a back quiver then a typical sling style side draw quiver because of how it rides vertically along my back and is held in place with a nice belt with matching leather pouch on it. I bought this at a local traditional shop in Kutztown PA years ago and have no idea who made it and have looked online and haven't seen anything close to it. If anyone knows who made it or someone that makes one very close to it I'd love the help as I'm looking to get one like it for the girlfriend. Thanks.

Offline BarrBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
dcphotog, that's an awesome quiver.
Bladespeek, that quiver turned out very well! I like these hidden fletching quivers, they solve a big problem in the rain for sure!

Barr
64" Black Widow PLX T.D. Cross Grain Graybark 50#@28
68" H.H. Cheetah 58#@28

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
That's definitely unique dc.  More pics may be required.  Lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©