3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unforgettable Experience! Doe on the ground!  (Read 497 times)

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Unforgettable Experience! Doe on the ground!
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
This hunt took place in 2010 and I thought with the hunting seasons over it might make for enjoyable reading for those of us counting the days so here goes.

I had a place in mind that morning. A thicket that bordered Hurricane Creek and a hardwood flat about a mile from my truck. I had killed a couple deer on the south end of this thicket but with the wind direction out of the northwest I was going to set up on the north side. I figured the deer would have already made it back into the thicket by this time (8:30am) and I might get one coming out for acorns mid morning or mid day. I intended to hunt on the ground and had a stool on my back and my longbow in my hand. I walked down an old logging road that brought me to the creek and then began to head north while walking in the water to cover noise and scent. I was really taking my time and being as quiet as possible. Once in the creek there was a possiblity of seeing a deer on either side.  Here is a picture of what the creek looks like at one spot to give you an idea of the terrain.

Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unforgettable Experience! Doe on the ground!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
From where I entered the creek to where I intended to go up the bank at the edge of the thicket and oak flat was about 400 yards. I had covered 250 of those yards and the creek made a hard left turn. I stepped out of the creek to cross the sandy point to avoid the deadfalls blocking the way through the water. The wind was maybe 5 MPH and I was really having to watch my step for noise. I crossed the point and dropped into the water of the creek to continue toward my spot. At this point I had just gotten to the beginning of the south side of the thicket. I took 2 steps into the creek and I heard something running around about 80 yards up the creek in the thicket off to my left. Here is a picture of the bank that I stepped down after crossing the point. I came down that sandy spot on the bank.

Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
I froze there in the creek and hadn't realized I had squatted down instinctively until I felt cold water on my butt. At this point I didn't care because the noise was getting louder and closer to the creek. In my mind I kept wondering what could be making that much noise in that thicket. I would soon find out!

A deer's head materialized out of the brushy cover on the bank and started down into the water. This was a nice doe and she jumped in the water and turned right at me! Before I could grasp this neat turn of events another big doe jumped in the creek followed by a small 3 point buck, two more smaller does and 2 yearling fawns. Seven deer materialized and then stopped and stood in the creek looking over there shoulder from where they came. At this point I stuck my face into the quiver of my bow and was peaking at the deer between my top limb and  quiver. After about 10 seconds they started walking at a fast pace right down the middle of the creek that I was standing in. We were on a crash course! This is a picture I took the next day in the exact place that I was when it all happened.

Todd Trahan

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
:campfire:  

Might want to edit your duplicate post. You can edit the title with word Delete.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
:coffee:  pretty terrain. What part of Louisiana?

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
The group started closing the distance with the first doe in the lead. You could tell she was the matriarch of this group and they were all following her. I am at this point on overload in a bad way and I am honestly thinking that there is no way this is going to end up with me getting a shot. Surely she will notice me and come out of her fur getting out of there and take everyone with her and I will be left there in the water like a blobbering mess. 50 yards, 40, 30, 20... she is still coming and slowing her walk some. At 10 yards she LOOKS at me and veers to my right but keeps walking. I have to take my eyes off of her at this point and the second doe is coming straight to me. Out of the corner of my eye I can see the feet of the lead doe at 3 yards and she hits the brakes!
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:34:00 PM »
Kook68, This is actually MS.
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
When the lead doe stopped rather abruptly it was like a chain reaction through the herd. They all stopped in their tracks and it was like instant tension. The reverse on a deer must be right by the stop gear because she no sooner hit the brakes and she bolted back in the direction she came and all the others did the same. The other deer were ahead of her at this time and all were trotting away. Still squatted I lifted my bow and started to draw hoping one of them might stop. Turns out the lead doe would be the one. She trotted out to about 25 yards and started to slow down and turn. As soon as her head was turning to look back at whatever she saw in the creek the arrow was on the way. The arrow took her mid ship and angled forward. It was water world at this point as they all put on the after burners and ran down the creek and then went right back up the bank at the same place they came down. My doe brought up the rear and when she went to jump up the bank I watched the arrow that had been sticking out the other side fall into the bank for a complete pass through.
Todd Trahan

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Bleed baby bleed.  Great story so far
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
Wow! This is good    :campfire:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
Well I am officially jello now. Everything is shaking and I am lovin it! When it got quiet I just stood there in disbelief at what just transpired. After giving thanks to God for the experience, I turned and walked back to my truck to give her awhile. I decided to go back to the camp and get my buddys son and friend who were there to come help with the tracking and hopefully the dragging. Those young eyes are amazing! We found blood right at the bank and then lost it about 50 yards in. One of the boys circled around the north side of the thicket and there she was!

I was so happy, and yet a tinge of sadness that always accompanies walking up to an animal I just killed. No regrets, just respect.  She was beautiful and a perfect deer to harvest. Giving thanks to God again, this time for the gift of this animals life, I promised to utilize all of it for me and my family in the way of food.

As we, mostly they, drug the deer out of the woods, I could not help but think that this would be one of the many unforgettable experiences of my life as a bowhunter. A gun would have stopped this experience when she came down the bank 80 yards away but because I bowhunt I saw her feet at 3 yards, an arrow disappear at 25 and the hand of God on my life - again.

Todd Trahan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
You've got me hooked!  Great story telling!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Great story!!   :campfire:  God Bless.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Outstanding story and results! I am really excited to get my first and this just added fuel to the fire for this season. Thanks!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Great story Todd! Thanks for sharing

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
Great story, thanks for sharing.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
You got me daydreaming now,thanks I needed that.  :thumbsup:

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Fantastic story.  I really enjoyed your hunt, congratulations!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Thank you for the wonderful story! Congrats on a great experience and a fine whitetail.
Mike Davenport

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Great story enjoyed it a bunch!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©