3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead help...  (Read 232 times)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead help...
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
So I have made the mistake of researching broadhead penetration. Now I am paranoid and unsure of what to use. I am shooting a Stalker Stickbow longbow 60" 44#@28" I want to shoot 125-165 gr heads on 400 shafts which will put me right around 9-10gpi. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  

:deadhorse:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead help...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Dont look too much into it. Remember, our ancestors survived thousands of years killing all sizes of animals with only stone and bone points. That being said, Dr. Ashbys tests are the best you cant go wrong there. If I were you, a sharp two blade like magnus, ace, or zwickey would be the ticket.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
What are you wanting to kill with these heads and set up?

Do you actually draw 28"s?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Thanks Kamm. Terry for the time being just deer, and pigs. I do draw actually draw 28 inches.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
400 spine at 44# seems stiff. How do the arrows fly? The reason I ask is a pin straight flying arrow, I belive, is as important to penetration as the broadhead.That being said, Magnus, Zwickey, Grizzly, Woodsman all should work.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
They fly great and recover quickly, especially from center shot longbows. Thanks for the advice guys.
>>>----------------->

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
Way overspined I'd think..

500's sure seem more approiate..

A zwickey eskimo would be a nice head for that setup..

Good luck with whatever you choose

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
I agree with Todd Cook, use a magnus, zwickey,grizz or woodsman, all proven broadheads and dont cost an arm and a leg.Most people can sharpen a two blade magnus or zwickey the easiest but the three blade heads like the woodsmen are not hard either.All that said part of the fun in bowhunting is playing with diffrent types of heads , arrows and bows and just learning what other hunters use too.

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
Kamm1004,,its funny that you mentioned stone points.I used to spend a lot of time picking up arrowheads on old village sites in MS and you never saw two alike or the same size.I shoot with stone points a lot and my arrows have all diffrent shapes and sizes of heads too. It doesnt seem to make much difference at all in how they shoot.My arrows are made from stuff like dogwood and such and i mount the heads on the thicker end of the shafts and they are very forgiving too.We get all picky about spine and straightnes and point weight with modern arrows because you have to to make them shoot right but the old crude way actually works much easier,lol.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Lighter bows and three blades are not a good combo on hogs and single bevels have worked great for me.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
I agree that you are probably overspined but won't get off topic here save that for another day. My top pick would probably be Zwickey Delta 2 blade. You will get good penetration and a pretty decent blood trail since it is a wide two blade. My second choice (1st choice for deer and hogs under 150 pounds) would be the woodsman though. Excellent penetration and with it being a 3 blade you don't have to worry as much about small blood trails.
James Kerr

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Thanks everyone this is good info! For starters I am going to change the spine of my arrows and get some 500's. Also I cannot sharpen two blade heads to save my life but I think I'm going to give the Magnus stingers a try since they have replaceable blades. I have had great luck with the woodsman except they won't be in stock most likely until the end of the year! With 150 grains up front that will put me right at 10 gpp. I will be paper tuning this setup soon. I am incredible weary of wounding deer, I know it is part of the game unfortunately but I want to do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen on my end. Thanks again.
>>>----------------->

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
Magnus 2 blades are tough to beat and easy as pie to sharpen(use an All Sharp tool and they will be scary sharp).

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
Since you included pigs...I'd suggest a Zwickey no Mercy two bladers....Long n Lean with a pointy tip for instant penetration in the tuff hog skin and through the shield.  That would be my choice with that set up....and I'd most likely shoot the same model in a 4 blade at deer.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
I think switching to the 500's is a good move and have to commend you on your ethics.

You may want to look in to a KME broadhead sharpener.They hold the broadhead at a consistent angle and cut out all the human error.Customer service is second to none and this includes making sure that you learn to use it well.The Stingers aren't a bad choice but after tuning with them or taking shots at game,you will still be faced with the task of resharpening them and the KME can handle that.

It will do any 2 blade or 4 blade with removable bleeders.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Regarding spine, I read somewhere that the best scores in an olymic or international match were shot by archers using a slightly stiff arrow spine. I don't know for sure exactly why but I'd guess it's because a less than perfect release shows slightly weak making the arrow right on ... just food for thought.

Regarding the broadhead I would say pick your favorite two blade and don't worry too much.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
I have little experience in penetration in that weight bow.  Going to a two blade I went with the no mercy blades in a single bevel (due to Ashby's reports).  I did not find it very hard to get them sharp.  I think the key is finding a head that you can get very sharp.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©