3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety harness  (Read 541 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Safety harness
« on: August 29, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
Ok, I've used junk for long enough.  What is the best strap-based safety harness on the market?  I don't want to wear a vest.

Looks like the seat of the pants harness is right up there.  Any others?
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety harness
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
What is the best strap-based safety harness on the market?
Commercial/Professional grade ones, but they are noisy, heavy, and not practical for hunting....  :bigsmyl:  

But seriously, any of the "big names" should be on your radar.  I prefes styles like the one you mentioned that buckle on the legs, as I don't like the "V" some make in the crotch   :eek:  .  It however has a tendency to clunk on seats when standing up in my stand as the buckles are more in the way.

I borrowed a vest style one once and still like the ones without.  It all breaks down to preference.

I also seek out models with "linemans loops for rigging off when setting stands.  Many are adding this now, where before it wasn't a common feature.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I use The Seat of the Pants and it's great.It's comfortable and not hot. Also easy to get on and off.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
I have only used the harness that comes with the Lone Wolf and like it fine.  It is easy to put on and it is quiet as well as comfortable for walking or sitting.  In addition, I feel secure when using their system.
Lon Scott

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Lone Wolf harness    :thumbsup:

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
I use a commercial grade with a saftey hook and like it alot. easy to put on. This yr I will use a vest type I received from the st. judes auction. It feels comfortable sitting in the living room    :D
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
I just broke down and ordered one of the safety vest combination harnesses. I like the fact that it is much easier to get into at 4 in the morning with a flashlight between your teeth and that the attachment line orginates from the top of the system which not only helps keep you upright but allows one to wear the vest/harness underneath a jacket.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline ziggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
I had a SOP and didn't like trying to get it on int the dark, or the dome light of my vehicle.  Last year I bought a Loggy Bayou and love it.  You can check it out at:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0046840418053a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=safety+harness&N=4887&Ntk=Products&N tx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=safety+harness&noImage=0&_requestid=43902

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
I use a Black Diamond climbing harness.  If it works 1,000 feet above ground it should work 20'.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
The Loggy Bayou looks interesting.  Bothers me a little that it doesn't have a cross chest strap, though.  

I don't like the idea of a vest setup because I pay a lot of attention to texture on my hunting clothes.  I would just as soon not cover up my light-diffusing wools and such with a nylon vest.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Hook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
I wear my Loggy Bayou harness over my inner layer of clothing but under the outer layer allowing my predator camo to work its magic.... on me anyway.
                                      Jim

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
You don't want to wear a vest, but...you want to wear a vest.
I tried 'em all. SOP included.
The Hunter Safety System IS in line with traditional archery. Simple and the best.
With the SOP, it's like stepping into a spider web compared to the HSS. Simply put the vest on, hit 4 buckles and your entire torso and neck is locked in.
Trust me, I own all kinds of nice "Gucci-flauge" wool and didn't care to cover it up. If you set up your anchor at the right height on the tree above your head, you can wear the vest under your outer shell, just as long as you have possible access out of it in the worst case. But it only took one time in a tree to quickly make up my mind that the HSS is "better than sliced bread" gear.
Everyone at my camp swithed over to HSS.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
Waiting, that's the very vest I have. It's the bomb. Great for warm weather too.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Tru-dat!!! I believe the search is over for the best safety system, when in a treestand.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Jeff,
They are all a pain in the posterior, but one of those necessary pains.  I use a mesh vest and wear it under my fleece jacket.  I just let the strap hang out the collar.  I do wear it on the outside in warmer (hot) weather.  All of the harness type systems I've tried were a pain to untangle in the dark.  Heck! Now that I think about it they were a pain to untangle in the light.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
I am a loggy bayou fan.  Easy to get into and functional.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©