3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting VS 3D arrows  (Read 465 times)

Offline Roverrich

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting VS 3D arrows
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Hey guys, for those of you who shoot 3D and hunt, do you use the same arrows? I would think that there is a benefit to using your heavier hunting arrows for 3D to get ready for the season, but as my club sets up the course for both trad and compound, shooting at a 60yrd target w/ a hunting wt arrow is much more challenging than using a lighter and flatter shooting arrow. FWIW I'd never take that long a shot in real life. What are your thoughts?

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting VS 3D arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I use what I hunt with. I don't care about scores. Nothing wrong with keeping score and trying to improve on that but most if not all 3D targets have score rings that aren't actually the best kill shot on game. I shoot 3D for hunting practice.

Again there is nothing wrong with shooting for scores!!! Just not my thing.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
It really depends on what your goals are. If the only reason you shoot 3D is to get ready for hunting....I think you have your answer. I shoot 3D because I want to win, so I shoot a very light arrow out of a 40# bow: about 6.5 gpp.  When I hunt, I shoot a heavier arrow out of a 55# bow: about 9 gpp.  Before I hunt, I spend a week or so shooting nothing but my hunting bow, and does it ever feel heavy at first!  But by the time I hunt, it feels normal.  And does my target bow ever feel light when I go back to it!  I think it improves my target shooting to switch over to the hunting bow for a while, but probably doesn't work in the other direction.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by magnus:
I use what I hunt with. I don't care about scores. Nothing wrong with keeping score and trying to improve on that but most if not all 3D targets have score rings that aren't actually the best kill shot on game. I shoot 3D for hunting practice.

Again there is nothing wrong with shooting for scores!!! Just not my thing.
My thoughts exactly Matt.

I use the same arrows year round.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
I use the same bow/arrows that I hunt with. When I shoot 3D I'm competing with myself.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
What Magnus said....  I shoot 3d with hunting in mind and look for the best arrow placement rather than focus on the scoring ring.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
I also shoot 3D and hunt with the same arrows. Tuned equipment is accurate whether the target is foam or fur.
Sam

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
I do enjoy keeping score, but I'm a hunter first and foremost so I shoot my hunting setup at any shoots I go to.  To each his own, do what makes ya happy.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
I use the same cedar or fir for everything-same weight for 3D and hunting. The compounders shoot from different stakes at our club.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
I use the same arrows. My hunting and 3d arrows weigh about 8.5gpp. I shoot 3D to win. I don't mind not winning but I am definitely shooting for top score.
If you can pick a spot on a 3D target you can pick a spot on an animal.  3D is a game.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 01:06:00 AM »
I set up and tune an arrow for hunting, usually at 10-11gpp. That is the only arrow I shoot, whether I am hunting, practicing, or competeing in a 3D shoot. I strive to be the best I can be, no matter what the venue.

Bisch

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »
I shoot most of the year with my target set up and shoot for score. About july i start shooting my hunting set up
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »
Hunting setup usually and shoot for high scores with that. There is something comforting about knowing your capabilities/weaknesses with the equipment you carry in the field. Current setup for both is 55# R/D home built on KennyM's form shooting 550ish grain arrow.

Good luck!
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
Pick your poison....just be extremely confident than when you enter the field that you clearly ascertain your effective hunting range and that both you and your set-up are lethal.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
All my arrows start out as "hunting arrows"...

Next year, they become "practice arrows".....

Then, all the "odds & ends" and "leftovers" go in a 5 gallon bucket for "3-D arrows"

My boys & I shoot 3-D with a bunch of Hudson Valley TradGangers. We all shoot once, from the "top gun" compound stake. Then, we move up to the Traditional stake, to shoot for score.

You'd be suprized how much a summer of this improves your shooting!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
I shoot the same arrows years round.  I shoot 3d for fun/social gathering/ hunting practice.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Same arrows and bow for all of my shooting whether it is 3-D or hunting. I do switch around between my different bows and their arrow set ups but none of my bows nor arrows are for 3-D specifically. Hunting is top priority I use 3-D shoots as practice at game targets in the woods. If I am shooting by myself and not many people are around me I even don't shoot from the stake instead taking usually a more difficult shot through brush or a harder quartering angle.
James Kerr

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
I shoot 5# less for 3-D hence a lower spined arrow. Same riser but different limbs, different spined arrows. Both sets of arrow fly identical but they are different color schemes.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I forgot to add in my post earlier my target set up is #45 and my hunting rig is #63. 2 different bow
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
This simple question is actually quite a hot topic in traditional archery clubs that are geared towards hunting.  Most of the people that compete shoot their hunting equipment; both bows and arrows.  However, there is a strong trend right now of competitive shooters entering traditional bowhunting tournaments with equipment that they would not hunt with.  The fact that they are winning events does not set well with everyone.

Over a 2-3 day span shooting 90-180 targets the advantages of a lighter bow with soda straw arrows starts to be pretty clear.  The difference in endurance required for using a 60 pound bow over a 40 pound bow for that span is obvious.  Fatigue becomes a significant factor.

There are several clubs that I know of that are revisiting their rules for equipment used in competition as a result of this.  I also know of several clubs that are actually combating this target bow trend by setting up shots that may favor heavier bows and arrows.

I also know of at least one state traditional organization that has a minimum overall arrow weight for competition.

Whenever you start handing out trophies these debates pop up.  It is worse if you hand out cash.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©