3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ribtek broadheads?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Ribtek broadheads?
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Anyone still using Ribteks?  I had a set years ago that I never used but liked.  Always swore I would use them if I shot wood arrows, and I seem to be quickly moving that way!   :)  . Just picked up two dozen 135gr. to give a try.  Most of the search results were pretty old.  I figure anything is fine for deer, anyone used them on bigger game?

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ribtek broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
I have used them since I first saw them in catalog in 90s...actually just bought a bunch from the manufacturer in Australia.

I use 160gr and 190gr for mine...easy to sharpen, hold a good edge for long time...mount easy.  I took mine on bear hunts, deer hunts, hog hunts, squirrels, and even nutria. LOL

I have two 6-packs in the St Judes Auction (1- 160 set and 1- 190 set)...and Kelly has some for sale as well if not mistaken.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=61;t=020164#000000

Bid on the ones in St Judes for the kids first....then buy all the ones Kelly has remaining too.  :)   I think I have enough to last me twenty years...but may need to buy more. LOL
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
I have a few of the 190 grain heads, and agree with everything Brock has to say about them. I would like to add that they are MASSIVE! I will be using them this upcoming deer season and think I will have no problems with penetration or blood trails. They are somewhat flexible so I don't know how well they will perform on bone hits on larger animals.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
He is right the 190,s are huge, they look like spear points. I have some of those and a few 160,s left. Simmons and Ribtek are my favorite two blade heads.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Anyone use the lighter ones?

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
I used a 125 when I first tried them but went larger a year or two later....  used them on hunts for pheasants, rabbits, deer and nutria.

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
I killed a black bear with a 160 gr head.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rock 'N Bow:
I have a few of the 190 grain heads, and agree with everything Brock has to say about them. I would like to add that they are MASSIVE! I will be using them this upcoming deer season and think I will have no problems with penetration or blood trails. They are somewhat flexible so I don't know how well they will perform on bone hits on larger animals.
"flexible" - what does that mean?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Not larger than deer but I did shoot a heavy Wisconsin white-tail buck a few years back with a 190 Ribtek from top to bottomus and complete penetration, including the heart.  The head is perfectly intact and will harvest more stuff.  

You could gut & skin the same deer with a 190, they have so much blade length.  

They sharpen easy, are simple in design and look nostalgic.  

They get the job done.  A fun head to try out and a unique departure from the norm!

Kris

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
The blades tend to bend when some force is applied. This is due to the single layer construction.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I bought them years ago when I saw a video of a guy shooting them into concrete blocks and they had just minor tip damage. I figured I would never hunt concrete blocks and have used them on and off ever since. I wish I could tell you I had gotten good results but I have yet to have shot at anything.....lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I like them. Haven't shot anything with one yet, though.
I can get them really sharp in short order.
One of them will meet a Florida hog one of these days.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
One of the best heads made, IMO.   I like the ease of sharpening.  And, they are tough.  Never had issues with "flexibility".....the "crimp" in the blade keeps them from any flex, I think....

I've hit rocks and trees....can't think of ever having one come apart or bend beyond use.  I did loose the very tip of one in a shoulder blade once....just a quarter inch or so.  

I shot a 190 through a moose rib on this hunt and it stuck in the other side.   Use a 65lb selfbow.   I've killed a lot of other critters with them.  I like the 190 best, and also the 160's.  

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
I wish I had 2 more hands so I could give those broad heads 4 thumbs down.  

Just my opinion of them.
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
The blades tend to bend when some force is applied. This is due to the single layer construction.
I shot two of the 190s into a pile of bricks out of a 60# compount on a wood shaft total weight 675 grains.

I was testing the efficacy of using minwax  wood hardener to "foot" the wood shaft.

First two photos are without the hardener.  I have been told that my first two photos "prove" the problem of the ribtek on wood shafts.  I, on the other hand, do not think this would happen on game even a shoulder bone.  This arrow was moving at close to 200 fps and was stopped dead and bounced back off the bricks.

These next two are of a head shot under the same circumstances as the first but the first three inches of the shaft had been hardened by soaking for a couple hours in minwax wood hardener.  I don't think this head would have bent or the shaft broken but for the fact that the brick pile was loose and the hit was on an angled brick near the bottom of the pile.  A solid concrete wall would have been ideal but did not want to shoot at the foundation of my house.  :eek:  

I have been using the 190s off and on for a few years now but have not killed game with one so have no comments in that dept.

Plan on getting some 200 gr grizzleys but will also use the ribteks.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jon Powell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Vig, apparently you have had a less than pleasing experience with ribteks. Please tell us about it, which weight, what did you shoot, what happened, etc.
Thanks in advance for any information you provide.
"While beauty blooms on every side, mercy is unknown and death never sleeps in the wilds."  Howard Hill

"The first thing is to overcome fear. When that is accomplished everything takes care of itself." Jeff Cooper

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:

I shot two of the 190s into a pile of bricks out of a 60# compount on a wood shaft total weight 675 grains.

I was testing the efficacy of using minwax  wood hardener to "foot" the wood shaft.

First two photos are without the hardener.  I have been told that my first two photos "prove" the problem of the ribtek on wood shafts.  I, on the other hand, do not think this would happen on game even a shoulder bone.  This arrow was moving at close to 200 fps and was stopped dead and bounced back off the bricks.

These next two are of a head shot under the same circumstances as the first but the first three inches of the shaft had been hardened by soaking for a couple hours in minwax wood hardener.  I don't think this head would have bent or the shaft broken but for the fact that the brick pile was loose and the hit was on an angled brick near the bottom of the pile.  A solid concrete wall would have been ideal but did not want to shoot at the foundation of my house.   :eek:  

I have been using the 190s off and on for a few years now but have not killed game with one so have no comments in that dept.

Plan on getting some 200 gr grizzleys but will also use the ribteks. [/b]
We never have nor ever will bowhunt "concrete blocks or bricks". Why peole keep using that medium for broadhead testing is beyond my comprehension.

How many other types of broadheads did you use in your "concrete" testing to see how they'd hold up?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
My guess the results you showed in the first couple pictured were from using too short of a point taper. On Ribteks one needs to use a longer taper so that it fully seats to the bottom of taper. Same goes for all other glue on style broadheads.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
I would bet that wont happen on 99.9% of the shots you make on animals in North America or elsewhere....even if you hit horn or the point of the shoulder or a femur...there is a bit of give and the head will penetrate.  That damage is unrealistic in any hunting situation.
In my book the head still performed successfully...no bends, no off camber deflection...no tip curls...if not for an impenetrable object would have continued forward.  I suspect you would get same result or a damaged head or broken shaft with any combo given same weight, speed, etc.

Ribteks are tough heads...easy to sharpen....easy to mount properly.  There are others that do the same.....that is why we have choices.

Just my go to head is Ribtek...then Snuffer...and warming up to my Grizzly Kodiaks.  If they were as easy to sharpen as my Ribbies would be up higher.  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
My experience with Ribteks only includes whitetails and one sika deer. Oh, and one concrete wall by mistake. One darn good broadhead if you ask me. Other solid heads I've killed deer with include Grizzly, Zwickey, Snuffer, Woodsman, Bear, Ace, and probably one or two more I can't think of right now.

I've had zero issues with Ribteks (including the concrete wall) and prefer them over all the others I've used. Ace would be my second choice.

I think people used to shy away from them because of the ribs and the fact that they were inexpensive. I decided to try them before passing judgement and have been well pleased.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©