3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ribtek broadheads?  (Read 440 times)

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ribtek broadheads?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
I killed a muley buck with one. I got off on some other heads and just now went back to the Ribtechs. My only problem with them was getting a scalpel type edge. The metal was just a little too coarse or soft. They did sharpen good but not as good as I wanted. I am going to give them another try. No need to carry a knife if you shoot the one ninetys. I call them my flying butcher knives. I don't see them bending or being flexable at all . they have a ridge built into them that really stiffens the head. Its a super simple,  super well designed head and as trad as it gets.
Oh I bet a couple of coats of super glue before mounting on wood would act just like that hardner., Interesting.

God bless, Steve

Online memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I have used Ribteks for over twenty years, and have had no problems with performance on game. Will sharpen easy with a file, but to get shaving sharp I found that using a lansky and then a leather strop would get the hairs jumping off my arm.
As for failures, the only ones I have experienced were when hitting rocks, and that was usually curl a few millimeters at the tip. I would just cut off the bent part and use the 'chisel tip' ribteks for small game.
Ribteks have punched through shoulder blades and ribs for me without any failures on their structural integrity.
Here's a big bodied billy that had a ribtek punch through a rib on entry and poke out his armpit on the far side, still sharp.

Cheers,
Memo

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
That thing is wild looking...wow!  :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Kelly, if you re-read my original post you will see that i was not "broadhead testing".  I stated such in the post as follows;

I shot two of the 190s into a pile of bricks out of a 60# compount on a wood shaft total weight 675 grains.

I was testing the efficacy of using minwax wood hardener to "foot" the wood shaft.

My guess the results you showed in the first couple pictured were from using too short of a point taper. On Ribteks one needs to use a longer taper so that it fully seats to the bottom of taper. Same goes for all other glue on style broadheads.

No, they were fully inserted.  

I did this test at a time that ribteks were being bashed because many were stating that hitting game in a bone would result in what you see in pic #1.  I never viewed it as a test that would duplicate hitting bone.  I actually expected that what happened would not happen!  It did happen, however, the results with the hardened shaft make it pretty clear that even with POC the "problem", if it exists, is easily mitigated by footing the shaft with the minwax hardener.  

The third and fourth phots prove that.  They also show that the ribtek is tough.  Hitting bricks out of a compound at an angle did produce a bit of bending in the head.  Most bow hunters will readily realize that it's not going to happen on bone.

I have a pretty good supply of 190 ribteks and pretty much plan to continue using them.  Am considering using the 200 grizzley to gain the single bevel MA which would be advantageous on larger animals.  A shoulder injury has me shooting lighter bows these days and I look for every advantage possisble.

Another thought is to convert the 190 ribteks to single bevel.  It would give up some weight, but that could be made up by footing with a heavy hardwood and inserting a heavy weight in the footing.  For my state it also must retain a width of 7/8th inch so that is a factor too.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
I have taken a several whitetails, a large black bear, and a cow elk, with the 190's; never had any problems.  Switched to Eclipse because for the option of using bleeder blades to make them into four blade broadheads.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
IMO they are a very fine broadhead.  I killed two caribou bulls with the same arrow and 160 Ribtek.  They sharpen well and hold their edge.  Interesting that the factory edge is not ground but part of the stamping process.  I would not hesitate to shoot them again.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Both 160 and 190 grain heads have been sucessful on hogs, ranging from 60-355#.  160's on wood arrows and the 190's with 100 grain brass adapters on some stiff carbons.  Have only had one tip bend a little and the was corrected with a hammer and a block.  Very tough head.  Have had Snuffer, STOS and Magnus perform less abmireably.     :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline wayoutwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
I've shot Gemsbok, black wildebeest, warthog and a ton of feral goats without fail.
Wayoutwest

Offline awishanew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
I shot a steel bear target at the NALS with a 125 and it stuck in. I kept shooting for the rest of the round.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
One last question.  Do you do normal 1" tapers with the ribteks or shoot for longer (1.25"?) To completely fill up the ribs?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
You want to fill the ribs.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 01:37:00 PM »
I want to try some! If they are such a doggone good head, how come no one here in the states carries them? Are they hard to get a hold of?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Go figure! I just made that post, went over to the classifieds and found me a doz. 135gr Ribteks for sale. Who would have guessed from the original poster no less?    :rolleyes:      :bigsmyl:

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
Col Graham stopped making them and retired....he was also working on to a follow-on head called Pro Game Hunter which was virtually a Ribtek without ribs...but a solid ferrule.

I have bought them from archery shoppe but the shipping is expensive as they only do air freight...so talking $80-250 for shipping depending on size of order.  I bought over a hundred the last time to make it worth my time and effort....have a few dozen remaining as the rest I gave away, sold a few, and put a few up for auction for St Judes.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Thanks Brock. I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I'm hoping to get a dozen woodies made up before hunting season gets here and want to try them this year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©