3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bowfishing bow selection, AMO length  (Read 347 times)

Offline hogmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
bowfishing bow selection, AMO length
« on: May 23, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
Hi all, completely new to bowfishing, just getting outfitted.  Today's installment of stupid questions is in the category of bow selection and specifically AMO length.

Decided I can't bare to drill into any vintage trad bows, and don't really want to mess around with AMS's rubber strap Traditional Mount adapter thing, and so am looking at bows with site bushings pre-drilled so I can mount an AMS Retriever.

I know bowfishing is rough on bows, so I don't want to spend much.  I'd go with a used beater if it had bushings and looked safe, but so far, that seems rare.  Both the Samick Sage and Martin Jaguar seem like good options - both come ready to mount a retriever, and I thought the Jaguar's aluminum riser might hold up to water/abuse better - is this sound thinking?

I would also think a shorter AMO would work better in a boat, or hip-deep water, no??  Not like stacking will be a problem with the light draw weight I'll be using...

So, with an AMOs of 62" and 60" for the Sage and Jaguar respectively, isn't that a little long to be ideal for bowfishing?   :scared:  

If I were to go with the Sage or Rebel, i.e. a wood riser, would folks recommend a light sanding and then adding a coat of polyurethane clearcoat to give it some added water resistance?  Anyone do anything like this with a wood recurve for bowfishing?

Okay, if you've gotten this far, you're either exceedingly patient, or probably have too much downtime...     :p

Seriously, thanks in advance for any advice given - I rarely post here, but have learned volumes lurking here over the years!     :notworthy:  

Thanks and stay tuned for more stupid questions as I wade in...( and lookout Potomac Snakeheads!!)
Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.  Then, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bowfishing bow selection, AMO length
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
You can use whatever I use a 58" grizzly and my buddy uses a 62 or 64" longbow. Both do the trick, bows can take a beating but the AMS strap on adapter works very well, I have one on my Grizzly.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline tomcfc11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I love using a martin rebel recurve. 52" AMO with riser inserts and a stabilizer insert in the bow. they don't make them anymore but you can find them on the classifieds. They only made them up to 50# @ 28. Mine works great with my AMS pro reel. I really like the short length when you have two or three guys fishing on the front deck of the boat.
I just got some finish from Big Jim's and was going to add some finish to the rebel. My buddy has been using a rebel for a few years and it hasn't had any problems. I would just rough the finish and then spray the bow. Sanding can mess with tiller and the weight of the bow.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
I have 2 Rebels, and as said, they do have the inserts for sights/AMS reels.
That said, I have a 50 lb. Rebel that I may interested in selling.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
I use the AMS reel strapped to a 60" Super Kodiak.  It works very well.
I think if you give it a try you'll like it.
My backup is a K-Mag with the plate type line holder in the stabilizer bushing.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Hoyt kingfisher is an option, don't know if any of the sponsors sell them or not.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
3River has a few packages to check out as well.  I went with the Kingfisher package and it was very reasonable at $139.00 on sale.  It shoots well and it does the job and I bought it to take abuse as well.  Now as smooth as the nice custom bows obviously but it works well for me.

Adam

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Only problem I have with the Kingfisher is the weight. That thing gets heavy after a couple of hours. LOL

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
I have been at this bowfishing game for 35 years and I have used every single bow you could imagine. Lots of good points made in this thread but I would say that a 52 inch recurve is the perfect bowfishing bow. As mentioned above when you are shooting 2-3 people from the front of a boat a 50"-52" recurve is a big deal. Keep the bow as light as possible and you will be happy after 3-5 hours on the water.

The biggest benefit on the short bows is that you can set the botton limb tip on your upper thigh between shots and totally take the stress of your bow arm.

Offline nashoba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Use what ever you can find that fits your budget. You can always install your own bushing, that's what I did on my longbow. The bushings are available through most of the vendors.

Offline hogmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
I knew I'd get great replies, and I wasn't disappointed!  I've heard nothing but good things about the strap-on adapter, and I might go that route with a Bear Kodiak Magnum I've got if I'm unable to find a cheapy Rebel soon.

Thanks again everybody, and if anyone wants to try to whack some snakeheads on the Potomac this summer, gimme a shout!
Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes.  Then, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Check your PM's

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Watch yardsales and craigslist for old ben pearson bows.You can find them very cheap a lot of times and most of them will be shorter bows.The only thing with them is,,they often shoot so well its hard to mess them up even though you didnt pay much for them.

Offline hogmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
@ Kituwa, Right, that's the problem I'm having with both the bow I now have now that would work (a Kodiak Magnum, 45#, AMO: 52"), and ones I typically look at on CL and The Auction Site - I just don't want to mess 'em up drilling in bushings, or even bowfishing (knowing how rough it'll be on 'em), unless I find one that's already a beater, short enough and with a 40-47# draw.

UPDATE: just got out bid on that auction site on a clean, used Rebel that went for under $130.  Damn.  I was close, but that only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I know I wanna go with an AMS retriever, so the Bear's stabilizer bushing does me no good.  I also really would prefer not to also use the strap-on adapter - I believe everyone that says they work great...  I'd just prefer the solid feel and clean look of screwing in to a factory-drilled bushing.

I shoulda went large and got that Rebel with a higher bid.  If I don't score something soon, I may just go the strap-on route with that Kodiak, and try to keep her from getting too beat up... Thanks for the input everyone!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
Buy a beater and drill it out for bushings, I did it to a Redwing hunter for my son and it only takes a few min. to do.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
The AMS rubber strap-on adapter really works great. I use one on my 56" Browning Wasp with a Zebco 808 but I have also used the adapter with my AMS Retriever reel as well.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Used Kodiak Magnum with a bushing pre-installed would be my choice.  I'm looking for one right now for the same reason, to put together my first bowfishing rig.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
I have an old '70 Bear Grizz beater I drilled and put a stabilizer insert and simple spool reel on.Works just fine and I've killed a pile of carp with it.Just took 8 the other morning.Keep it simple.

Offline hogmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Thanks, and I'm looking!

Offline hogmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »
@ Pokerdaddy & J.,

Thanks.  Ideally I'd get a bow with sight mounts so I could use an AMS Retriever, but if I don't soon, I may just go that Bear route until I do.

After all, I have a Kodiak Magnum of only 52" and 45# - a little heavier than I'd probably choose for bowfishing, but close - and it already has a stabilizer bushing.  I'll have arrows in a few days, and a spool reel is certainly more affordable.  I have a foolish attachment to that Bear - it was my first real bow - but at least until I find a cheap Rebel or something, I could at least fish soon!

So, short term, looks like the Magnum and either a front-mounted spool, or an AMS plus adapter.

Meanwhile, the Snakeheads are just feasting on native bass, perch, amphibians, small children...  >:-(  GIT 'EM!!

Thanks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©