3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tiller?  (Read 163 times)

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
tiller?
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
I am 58 yrs old and trying to learn a little bit about this sport of shooting stick bows.  I hear this term used a lot but I am not exactly sure what it means to "tiller" a bow.

I have a suspicion but not sure.  Can anyone give an explanation of what exactly this term means?

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tiller?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Making the entire limb bend( share the load of tension and compression )and making the limbs bend evenly.
Grab a copy of "The Traditional Bowyers Bible #1, and a good stave and give it a whirl , you will learn alot.
The TBB vol 1 will also have a good chapter on tiller that will explain with words as well as pictures

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
ILF bows have adjustability in them where you can adjust your tiller for your style of shooting. You want the limbs to bend evenly and also to recover at the same instant for quieter bows, shock free smooth shots.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Doug,

There are two uses of the word "tiller."  The one Ted describes is "to tiller" a bow.  This is part of the process of making a bow and getting the limbs bending evenly and correctly.

The second use of the word is the "tiller of the bow."  This is what reddogge is describing.  But to take the explanation farther...   When you have a completed bow, you can measure the distance from both the upper fade out of the riser and the lower fadeout to the string(perpendicular).  A bow is said to have a positive tiller if the upper measurement is (usually) 1/8 to 1/4 inch greater than the lower measurement.  This usually is the tiller you want for split finger shooting.

If the measurement is the same, then you have "even" tiller and that is most often what 3 under shooters use.

When a bowyer builds a bow, during his tillering process, he gets the limbs bending nicely AND sets the final tiller measurements.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by moebow:
Doug,

There are two uses of the word "tiller."  The one Ted describes is "to tiller" a bow.  This is part of the process of making a bow and getting the limbs bending evenly and correctly.

The second use of the word is the "tiller of the bow."  This is what reddogge is describing.  But to take the explanation farther...   When you have a completed bow, you can measure the distance from both the upper fade out of the riser and the lower fadeout to the string(perpendicular).  A bow is said to have a positive tiller if the upper measurement is (usually) 1/8 to 1/4 inch greater than the lower measurement.  This usually is the tiller you want for split finger shooting.

If the measurement is the same, then you have "even" tiller and that is most often what 3 under shooters use.

When a bowyer builds a bow, during his tillering process, he gets the limbs bending nicely AND sets the final tiller measurements.

Arne
Yes Arne.......I check the tiller measurements on my compound bows but I did not know what the verb "to tiller" actually meant. I am thinking that this is something that can be done by the bowyer but there is nothing that I can do about it on a one piece bow once the bow is completed.

Where limbs attach to the riser by a bolt I can always tighten or loosen the bolts until even tiller is reached if that is my goal.

Is this correct?

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
yep, correct.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could adjust tiller on a standard bolt down three piece bow. I know you can on an ILF and other similarly constructed bows.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could adjust tiller on a standard bolt down three piece bow. I know you can on an ILF and other similarly constructed bows.
You cannot adjust tiller on a standard, bolt-down, three piece bow.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©