3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting W/A Ben Pearson?...Now W/Pics on PG 3  (Read 686 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting W/A Ben Pearson?...Now W/Pics on PG 3
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Does anyone actually hunt with a Ben Pearson bow? If so, what model and specs and have you harvested with it? Thanks in advance.     :bigsmyl:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting W/A Ben Pearson?...Now W/Pics on PG 3
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Ive got a number of old Pearsons, but my 304 take downs are my favorites. This one is 55 @ 28, my other is 45 @ 28. Ive hunted with the 55 pounder many, times and have been lucky to take a couple of tree rats with it, but the deer never cooperate when I have it in hand, but that dont keep me from trying.
   :archer2:  

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Thanks Paul, that is a nice looking bow.

I've got a Pearson Stallion coming and was looking to see if folks actually use them and what they thought of them. It is 62" and 45++ @ 28". I was told more like 47#. It is the older Stallion and not the one that looks like the Browning Explorer II.

Offline Woody303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Yup, I hunted with a mid 1970's Ben Pearson Rogue for many years.  I took my first turkey with it last year.  I've upgraded to a Bigfoot in the past few months, and the Pearson is now a shelf queen.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
I hunt with a couple of Pearsons. A Mercury Marauder TD that is 64#@ 29 1/4" and a Mercury Hunter that is 57#@ 29 1/4". A couple years ago I shot a bear, whitetail buck,a bobcat and a coyote with the Marauder. Also some small game too. Pearsons are great bows and I have several, very under rated.                                                                    
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
Wow, great pics! Thanks for sharing those.   :thumbsup:

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
I have a bunch of old Pearsons.  I've small game hunted with my '58 Bushmaster and its predecessor, the Window bow (both TD's with an offset handle).  I've also hunted with a couple of TD's from the '55-'57 era.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
KSBOWMAN...I love that bow. Also the Marauder...I'm jealous....   ;)    :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Got my first deer in 1996 with a Ben Pearson Renegade that I bought in 1973, It just blew up a few months ago, but my friend took the riser and is going to try and revive it. Sorry no pictures.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Thank you, Joe! When they first came out I wanted one real bad, but had little ones and they came first. About 3-4 years ago I finally bought one and they are great! Got lots of other Pearsons, but the tops are the mercurys. I read alot of Jim Dougherty stories in Bow & Arrow mag in the late sixties and early seventies and he was always shooting one.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Anyone shoot one of the older Stallions? It is hard to find a decent photo of one. Must be hard to come by in good shape.   :rolleyes:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I went to a club meeting and shoot last weekend and a young man was there as a guest. He was shooting a Ben Pearson Sovereign that was found in a dumpster of all places. It was a neat bow!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Have a buddy that owns ONLY Pearson bows. Like 10 of em. And has had great success. He showed me his "baby" and it looked like it may have been from a dumpster too....

Offline dougout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Good stuff, I love it!!!

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
I have one Ben Pear. son,its marked 'special' #730  It is mint and has some kind of very dark colored wood that is just beautiful.It shoots as good as any bow i have owned.I havnt hunted with it yet but i used to hunt with a lot of ben pearson bows when i was a kid, they were very populer in the 70's.I have killed maybe a half dozen deer with them.Most of them dont have much value and you can get them for very little money if you look for them.I used to have one that looked sorta kinda like a super kodiak in shape.Dont remember what model it was but it was a great bow.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
I've got several of the large riser Pearsons (Marauder TD, Mercury Hunter, Signature TD, Mercury Sovereigns, etc.), but don't really care for them, the riser is too big.  I prefer the late '50/early '60 small riser bows.

Kituwa, I have a couple of the Specials, that size riser and smaller is what I like.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Selfbow,i know a lot of guys like a bow with more mass in the riser but i am like you, i have a thing now for a small riser.Since i have been shooting my 59 polar i am likeing it more and more, nice small riser and slim limbs. The Ben Pearson special i think is very much like a bear grizzly,same length and the riser very similiar.I have never sat down and researched it but it seems like BP had a lot more diffrent models than bear did.Most of the pearsons will not be as nice a finish or as refined as a bear but they are not bad either.Like i said you can find them very cheap and people are really missing out on some great shooters.There is no telling how many hundreds of rubber blunt tipped arrows my friend and i shot at rabbits in front of our beagles when we were kids.I know there are bears,elk,mulies, moose and all kinds of game that would be a dream to hunt, but i would do anything to just be out somewhere with a cpl beagles a good friend or two and a old ben pearson or bear slinging arrows at some bunnies.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
I just found a pic of a '59 Pearson Safari and let me tell you, I really like the looks of the riser on that bow! Wish I could find one in the 45# range.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Here is my 59' Safari, 66" amo and 41#@28", 45#@ my draw length, but I like them 55-65#. Very smooth shooters and dead in the hand.                                                                                                                                        

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Man that is a wild decal or silk screen for 1959.Beautiful bow all the way around!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©