3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets debate if quiet is really important  (Read 826 times)

Offline bgremill

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets debate if quiet is really important
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Here's where I am coming from.  I have noticed that lots of pictures i see of Fred Bear, Bob Lee, Glenn St Charles, Ben Pearson, etc. have no string silencers on their bows; and, those bows sounded like a stand-up bass when shot. The bows that Chuck Adams shot to get his Super Slam sounded like a car door being slammed even with silencers and our trad bows today probably shoot almost as fast as those.   Therefore, I question the crazy ends we go through and analysis we subject ourselves to in the name of "necessary" or "ethical" or whatever else someone makes us belieeve is most important this month.
I've only been shooting trad for about 12 years.  Shot compounds before that and back then they were LOUD!  If I shot at a relaxed animal, it died.  
Please don't miss understand me, I'm not trying to promote loud bows for some rediculous reason; but, probably just convince myself to just shoot my bows, hunt more, and forget about obsessing over the little noise my bows make.    :D

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets debate if quiet is really important
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
My favorite silencer is a heavy arrow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Any advantage or minimizing the margin of error is an advantage.  BTW my favorite silencer is a Hill bow.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
In my mind there is no debate. Quiet is important. Granted noisy stuff still sometimes works, but often, it does not. Why take a chance by deliberately ignoring this major component of stealth? We will never eliminate all noise, but the quiter, the better in my opinion.
Sam

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
I've never really worried much about how quiet my bows are as long as they aren't too loud.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Hey if you think noise works for you-great! To each his own-Right?

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
I like getting that 6 th shot. LOL

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
I personally don't think a deer or whatever jumps the string.  I think they jump the arrow.  Stand by the target and have someone shoot an arrow.  You can hear it coming right down your throat.
But I can't stand a harsh noisey bow.  It just ruins the moment.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
When I hear guys and gals getting second shots at the same deer....I know it's not because their bow was loud! I have seen self bows with nothing on the string with a heavy, heavy arrow that were silent!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bgremill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Sam, thats my point!  When did it become so important?  When the technology allowed it to happen? Now your totally wrong and unethical to not make your bow super quiet?  Nonsense!  
Sixby - now that is a good point! I have taken second and third shots with my Navaho Caddo longbow at deer.  Would not have believed it before I did it.  Heavy arrows and longbows are the best I've NOT heard.
I shot over quite a few deer from a tree when I first made the switch to trad equipment.  What kept me going was seeing that I did not spook the game when I missed.  Oops I'm startin to give away my true position on the matter.
Anyone else wanna chime in?

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
I like having any advantage I can get.  A silent bow is just another tool. Is it necessary? Maybe not! But I know it doesn't hurt.

Its kind of like asking, If my broadhead is kinda sorta sharp but I hit the heart, Is it necessary to get it as sharp as possible?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I shoot longbows with 620 gr. arrows which by default makes them pretty darn quiet.  I use the volume of the noise as an indicator of tuning and form.  If the bow is noisy it tells me my brace is off or I torqued the string, etc.  how important it is in hunting, I don't know for sure, but I love the soft "thump" so much that I switched from shooting 3 under back to spit finger just because I couldn't stand the harsher twang of the bow.  I do however like the sizzling hiss of a snuffer heading down range!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
I'll take quiet every time. I have missed deer and they didn't pay attention to the shot. I've even managed to kill some with the second shot.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
2nd shot?  I thought you were the killingnest, bestest hunter of the Bishop Boys    ;)    :p    !!

:biglaugh:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I'll take a quiet set up every time....but I don't obsess on it.  If it sounds quiet to me it's probably still going to be loud to what ever critter i'm trying to shoot.  As long as it's an accurate shooting set up and sounds quiet go with it....(P.S. my new silencer is a Northern Mist Baraga    :) )
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Hmmmmmm.   :rolleyes:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
The way I look at it is if there are quieter bows available take advantage of it
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
I want my bow as quiet as I can get it.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
My little Debbie snack cake wrappers will give me away before my bow    :jumper:    :jumper:

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
My experiences have convinced me that quiet is important...some deer have dropped 12" or so at the drop of my bowstring. So for me seeing is believing, so I do what I can to limit the noise as much as possible.Yes, not all deer have ducked my shots but lest one use that as a reason to infer it doesn't matter... well it matters to me as I like some measure of predictability for shot placement.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©